dodger

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I want a dodger for my 08 H41ds. There must be several lofts/canvas shops that have a pattern for this boat, made from 06 till 2012 or longer. Since making the pattern is half the labor I would like to purchase one made from a existing pattern and install myself or have a shop install. I am sure it would require some modification but thats still a major labor savings vs building one from scratch. Can any of you point me somewhere I can get started with this? Merry Christmas all.

David

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
These people will give you a quote based on their database of patterns. They will not sell you the pattern... to my knowledge... and I can't think of any reason why a canvas maker would do that. http://www.islandnauticalcanvas.com/

Your responsibility is to make any necessary measurements and alterations that you want to personalize the dodger, such as allowances for cockpit lines, hatch covers and their guides, etc. They may have pictures of your model that you can use for reference. All of this is included with price. Extra fees include window coverings and such. The quote for my Catalina 27 was $1700. Pretty good.. because more than one custom canvas shop here in San Diego quoted me over $4500. Yikes!!!.

Anyway... I chose not to go with them.... I can buy a commercial sewing machine and the www.Sailrite.com dodger kit for less than $1500. Their kit shows you exactly how to build the pattern... and includes the pattern material plus the DVD instructional. The frame kit is part of the package and, imho, the key to the DIY method. Even though they sell really good sewing machines.... you can find heavy duty, canvas capable machines for sale in the $300-400 range.

Good luck.