Dodger in my line of sight

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I just purchased a 1984 C30 and the previous owner has the lines set up so the dodger is supposed to be permanently up. My problem is being 5'8" the top of the dodger is directly in my line of sight, can't really see over it and can't really see under it. On the C30 I grew up on we had the dodger folded most of the time so this is a new problem to me.

Has anyone run into something like this before and if so what was your fix/solution for it and/or does anyone have any suggestions? I am not sure if I should have the dodger raised so that you look through it all of the time or should I have it lowered (not sure how this is going to effect getting in and out of the cabin) so that I can see over it?

Thanks for any suggestions / input

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have a short dodger, 'cuz my PO was. I really like it. Here's a link with pictures. Please read th posts on both pages and the links which discuss your issue. You may get some good ideas. Good luck.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Got rid of mine on my last two boats. If your boat stays mostly dry in chop and you do not usually sail in rain then you can do without.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I sure wish they would figure out how to make them so you could simply fold them forward except when you need them. My last one would fold but the windows had to be unzipped to allow it to fold so I just took them off and ran it with just the top up. Like the bimini, so nice to have on some days but really an inconvenience most of the time.
Dan

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some do fold forward. It is usually not good for the windows as they can scratch. Taking our dodger off on the H356 and on many other boats I've sailed on is a five minute job. We would be careful to fold it as not to crease the window. As I've posted before about dodgers one of the first design decisions to make is whether you want to look over it or through it. Every dodger is a mistake in design. You just have to decide which mistake you want to make.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Consider a runt step behind the helm. Try a large plywood box, 6" tall and filling the space, and see how it works. Easy to try.

(Not discounting other solutions offered, just suggesting one more.)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thinwater's advice is what I would go with.. Modifying the dodger will be major and may not truly solve the problem. A 5 or 6 inch platform makes the most sense.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I'm 5' 6'' and I had the same problem. I need the dodger as I frequently sail down the St.Lawrence River towards the North Atlantic and or towards Labrador. So I eventually came up with a solution that works for me. Since my bimini is higher, I made a 2-step cockpit grate, with the area in front of the wheel being about 1 1/4 inch higher than cockpit floor, and the area behind the wheel being 4'' higher than cockpit floor. My 6' + friends complain a bit as they say now their heads is close to the bimini. I let them complain as it has worked wonders for me since I do not have to crouch or try to stand on my toes anymore when manoeuvering in tight quarters and needing best and easiest visibility.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Consider a runt step behind the helm. Try a large plywood box, 6" tall and filling the space, and see how it works. Easy to try.

(Not discounting other solutions offered, just suggesting one more.)
Probably doesn't have to be 6 inches, just high enough to get your eyes above the dodger. Couple inches might do it.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Thanks all. I'll probably start with the runt step and then either pick altering the dodger or doing something like Claude's design.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I think this a common issue for folks our height. I am also 5'8"-ish.

I have sailed on several 30 foot boats with dodgers (C30, C309) and dodger height is often a problem for me.

Tip toes, removing dodger (for racing anyways), sometimes while underway I stand on the seats (one foot on port, other foot on starboard--this works on an older mk1 C30 with narrower cockpit). I am able to leave the dodger on my dock and it doesn't take long to remove/reattach.