Docking Mishap

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
I have no idea what language they are speaking but I'm pretty sure "holy shit!" could have been one of the phrases.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It was certainly a bad day at the office. I saw this earlier, have you heard if there were any injuries.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
is it the ship's captain's fault?
is it the harbor pilot's fault?
is it the tug captain's fault?
is it the chief engineer's fault?
is it an act of god and could not be helped?
maybe the deckhand :)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It was certainly a bad day at the office. I saw this earlier, have you heard if there were any injuries.
Almost miraculously:
"The collapsed crane's driver injured his ankle while attempting to escape the accident, according to Korean media, and he was taken to a hospital for treatment."

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It is not Korean, sounds Filipino to me. The second part of the video is Korean, and yeah, they were a little surprised.

My favorite...

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Very strange accident. Panama all ahead "Bendix" with rudder hard over to starboard. Seems to me that she should have been just the opposite. The tug off to starboard had a line on her stern but either didn't try, or couldn't pull Panama off the dock.
is it the ship's captain's fault? YES. Always
is it the harbor pilot's fault? Dunno if he had the con If so, then YES
is it the tug captain's fault? NO
is it the chief engineer's fault? If he was responsible for the big bell on alongside the dock, then YES

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Very strange accident. Panama all ahead "Bendix" with rudder hard over to starboard. Seems to me that she should have been just the opposite. The tug off to starboard had a line on her stern but either didn't try, or couldn't pull Panama off the dock.
is it the ship's captain's fault? YES. Always
is it the harbor pilot's fault? Dunno if he had the con If so, then YES
is it the tug captain's fault? NO
is it the chief engineer's fault? If he was responsible for the big bell on alongside the dock, then YES
the captain turns over the command of the ship to the pilot in the harbor. so it is not the captain
with the tug hooked up the tug captain has allot of possible responsibility, loads of liability he should have been pulling, hard i think
that ship has a feathering prop, RPM does not equal thrust.
if the feathering prop malfunctioned it's on the chief
act of god is a great defense in a courtroom. lay people are clueless.
the fitz was an act of god they ruled
harbor pilot is in charge, he would be the first fall guy........
what about current, what about wind, .... let the lawyers figure it out. they will keep everyone confused.......

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I watched it three times.... was the engine in forward or reverse? It was kicking up water off the transom so I'm thinking it was in full reverse but it sure did not seem to be slowing down. So I'm wondering if she was high on her water line and in forward.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
was the engine in forward or reverse?
At 37 sec look at his rudder position

Then he tries the engines and reverses starboard.

Two engines to turn the bow to Starboard.
Using his engines to finally turn...

Port forward , Starboard reverse.

But too late...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
.....Reminds me of a glider I once witnessed as he spun into a hillside. after the dust settled, the pilot, in strong broken English, simply announced over his radio "I have land-ed". :laugh:

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Amazing. Does anyone know what happened? Looks to be coming in way too fast. To me it looks like the single prop was in forward the whole time till the ship stopped. Did she also hit the docked ship forward? How mere men can dock such giants has always been beyond my comprehension.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Amazing. Does anyone know what happened? Looks to be coming in way too fast. To me it looks like the single prop was in forward the whole time till the ship stopped. Did she also hit the docked ship forward? How mere men can dock such giants has always been beyond my comprehension.
Tugs...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Another video of the Milano Bridge, showing another angle and AIS data -
. The prop wash looks to me like it was in forward the whole time. Not much smoke from the exhaust until just before impact, then lots of black smoke. AIS shows more speed than I’d expect in close quarters until the collision. Looks like the tug was just being pulled along for the ride.

My guess is either accidentally or due to mechanical failure the engine was in forward rather than reverse, so they kept too much speed on and pushed forward even more when they meant to back down.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure what is going on in the bridge of the Milano Bridge, but at 0:04-0:06 in this video, it looks like the stern tug is in full reverse and is being dragged by the ship. The prop stream is under the tug, the line is taught and the bow is up. Looks to me the tug on the stern line is not so much trying to stop the progress of the Milano as to pull it back away from the dock. But with no success, as the Milano Bridge wake shows signs that the boat is being thrust forward.

Too much mass moving for the tug to effect a change.