Do these actually work

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I bought the smallest electric pressure washer and found it about the same price.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So did you get a media blaster (I see many types)? Looks like a hybrid between power washer and straight up sand blaster.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
These attach to the end of the PW. Like most nedia blasters they are touchy with clogs. You will go through alot of bags of media doing a boat. I would think a yard would not allow it.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I bought a cheap Harbor Freight pressure washer 4 years ago and it works fine every year. You just have to use a little caution when using it.

Dec 28, 2015
The OP is about the media blaster that attaches to the end of a pressure washer . Not a pressure washer itself.
I went with a pressure pot dry blaster to do metal work. Unusable unless you have a high cfm compressor. That is why the pressure washer version are popular but have a lower performance and metal objects rust immediately. The Eastwood pressure washer version requires a min of 3.5 gpm which is usually a 6hp gas powered unit. Not electric.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It seems to be a spot cleaner and would take forever to do a bottom. Environmentally unfriendly unless used in an enclosed space, which I assume would then require you to have some pretty expensive safety gear.
I've seen ads for soda wash paint removing contractors that come to your yard and they seem to be the safest and most economical way to remove all the paint from your bottom. Many yards can do the job as well. Unless your time is worth nothing, I believe this is one of those jobs best left to the professionals.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Many pressure washers already come with a siphon attachment for soap or bleach etc. I would try adding some "soft scrub" or other slurry type abrasive to the siphon container and see if it works. The theory seems sound to me but I can see how you can run into clogging issues etc.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Put an abrasive through a pressure washer pump and it will cease to pump. Water and soap only.

Dec 28, 2015
Many pressure washers already come with a siphon attachment for soap or bleach etc. I would try adding some "soft scrub" or other slurry type abrasive to the siphon container and see if it works. The theory seems sound to me but I can see how you can run into clogging issues etc.
Bad idea.....

Jan 19, 2010
Put an abrasive through a pressure washer pump and it will cease to pump. Water and soap only.
That is not how it works. The pick up is at the nozzle head and it is aspirated into the stream. Just the same way this post’s product works

Dec 28, 2015
That is not how it works. The pick up is at the nozzle head and it is aspirated into the stream. Just the same way this post’s product works
he's talking about the soft scrub comment

Sep 25, 2018
here is a "How it Works" for pressure washers. Says that the soap and water mix before the pump and together are pumped to the wand. May not be so for all, but appears that way for my Ryobi. I'm a civil engineer not mechanical so i do not have institutional knowledge about all things mechanical, just observe and apply engineering principals to what I see.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Yikes! I would not want to run bleach or soap through a mechanical pump. Seems like a bad design.

Sep 25, 2018
Agree. I guess that's why I see so many power washers on the sidewalk on garbage day. Built in obsolescence.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
With media blasting kits for power washers, have to purchase the appropriate sized ceramic coated nozzle to allow sufficient quantity of blasting media to flow thru nozzle without clogging. Goes without saying that blasting media would fry a metal tip in a few minutes.
BTW, I have an old power washer approaching 20 years; Honda engine & Cat pump. Can’t kill this thing, always starts on second crank, AND it was submerged in hurricane Katrina! Don’t make them like that anymore.