Do I need an automatic Bilge Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2013
Catalina 27 Calusa Marina Goodland Fl
I am new to living on a sailboat and new to sailing. I have been told my many people who live in the Marinna that I need an automatic bilge. I have a mannual one that I have only had to use 1 time during this rainey season in Florida and that was because I overflowed my freshwater holding tank into the bilge. It does not have a place for the bilge to pump out so it would need to be put above the waterline I know that. There are other boaters familiar with this model who tell me I do not want one and do not need one. I want to have the boat ship shape and ready to sail by December but I really would like input from others if this boat needs to have an automatic bilge intstalled I appreciate any knowledge since I am learning
Carol

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I am new to living on a sailboat and new to sailing. I have been told my many people who live in the Marinna that I need an automatic bilge. I have a mannual one that I have only had to use 1 time during this rainey season in Florida and that was because I overflowed my freshwater holding tank into the bilge. It does not have a place for the bilge to pump out so it would need to be put above the waterline I know that. There are other boaters familiar with this model who tell me I do not want one and do not need one. I want to have the boat ship shape and ready to sail by December but I really would like input from others if this boat needs to have an automatic bilge intstalled I appreciate any knowledge since I am learning
Carol
It's bilge PUMP. You will only need it if you are asleep or off the boat. Or if your arm tires from the manual pump. When, not if, you need it nothing else will save your boat. Get the biggest you can fit into your bilge sump. Wire it directly to your battery bank with big wire to reduce voltage loss.

You will experience leaks. Leaks from above will put fresh water into your bilge, leaks from below can look like those fire boats you see at celebrations. A broken thru hull or hose can sink you in just a few minutes. Must have at least one to insure your survival. Cheap insurance.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
It does not have a place for the bilge to pump out so it would need to be put above the waterline I know that.
Hi Carol,

Yes, you most certainly need an automatic bilge pump. One that engages automatically if you are not there, and a manual override switch should the float valve not work if you are lucky enough to be there to use it.

There should be a tube about the thickness of a garden host that runs from the bilge straight back and out the transom. On a Catalina 27 it's a straight shot, no bends or turns, which is just the way you want it. If it isn't there, someone removed it.

When I bought my boat, that is the very first thing I replaced and rewired. It's a high-priority item.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Hi Carol,

Yes, you most certainly need an automatic bilge pump. One that engages automatically if you are not there, and a manual override switch should the float valve not work if you are lucky enough to be there to use it.

There should be a tube about the thickness of a garden host that runs from the bilge straight back and out the transom. On a Catalina 27 it's a straight shot, no bends or turns, which is just the way you want it. If it isn't there, someone removed it.

When I bought my boat, that is the very first thing I replaced and rewired. It's a high-priority item.
Be careful comparing the thickness of a bilge pump hose to that of a garden hose. A newbie may interpret that as "go buy a garden hose" to use for draining the bilge pump. You need to buy a non collapsible type hose, rated for bilge pumps that is usually ribbed for strength, and is usually much wider in diameter then a 3/4" garden hose. My bilge pump uses a standard 2" drain hose, which is a lot bigger, stronger & can pump much more water out then a weak garden hose diameter. Also, the bilge pump drain line is really not a "straight shot" it has to have a bend & loop at the top of the hose to the highest point possible in the cabin, so it doesn't take on water while heeling, or if the transom takes on a following sea. A "straight shot" is a recipe for disaster at it would flood the cabin via the bilge from back flow. But in answer to the original question, HECK YES YOU NEED A BILGE PUMP! Especially if you are live aboard, as you need to protect you floating home, & your life. Also, Catalina's are well known for installing flimsy gate valves on thru hulls that can & will rust, break off & sink your boat in 5 minutes flat. If you have any valves with a blue painted handle that look like something you would attach that garden hose onto, then they should be replaced asap with a lever type ball valve (such as Apollo or Marelon type valves). Gate valves & cheap plumbing have no place on a boat, where any plumbing failure can spell disaster.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
A newbie may interpret that as "go buy a garden hose" to use for draining the bilge pump.
I certainly didn't mean to imply to use a garden hose. This was merely a reference where to look. My hose is smooth clear plastic, non-collapsible, hard as a rock.

Also, the bilge pump drain line is really not a "straight shot" it has to have a bend & loop at the top of the hose to the highest point possible in the cabin, so it doesn't take on water while heeling, or if the transom takes on a following sea.
Actually, on my 1977 C27 it is a straight shot; it couldn't be any more direct. The line has a back-flow valve to prevent water from flowing back into the cabin via back-flow. It should be noted that GPH ratings of bilge pumps are reduced by back flow valves, ribbed lines, and sharp turns which all add resistance to the water flow.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I guess I will be the contrarian. No, you don't NEED an automatic bilge pump on a Catalina 27. The reason that most of these other posters said you do is that they have different boats. My former boat, a 1980 C&C 24 has lived it's whole life without an automatic bilge pump and it always had a dry bilge.

If you have the outboard model, you have very little openings into the hull. The rudder post goes into the cockpit, which has drains. The tru-hulls for sinks and head can be closed when you leave the boat. There is no shaft with a leaky stuffing box exiting the hull.

Now, would I have a bilge pump on a Catalina 27...probably. For the $400 to do a good bilge pump or even the less than $100 to do a bad one, it's worth the small amount of money for the large amount of insurance.

Do some research, especially on MaineSail's section of the forum on what to get and how to install it. Recommendations would include an electronic float rather than a mechanical one, no check valve, a diaphragm pump rather than a cheap centrifugal pump, good quality hose, it should draw power right from the battery not through the battery switch and should have a fuse.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I certainly didn't mean to imply to use a garden hose. This was merely a reference where to look. My hose is smooth clear plastic, non-collapsible, hard as a rock.

Actually, on my 1977 C27 it is a straight shot; it couldn't be any more direct. The line has a back-flow valve to prevent water from flowing back into the cabin via back-flow. It should be noted that GPH ratings of bilge pumps are reduced by back flow valves, ribbed lines, and sharp turns which all add resistance to the water flow.
Your setup is probably not in accordance with the manufactures instructions. Rule and other bilge pump companies say not to use check valves/back flow preventers on their pumps.

MaineSail set me straight on this one before. If you search you will find some good discussion on this matter. I removed mine after reading all of the replies.

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.