DIY leather steering wheel cover project

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
When we purchased our new to us Hunter 466, the wheel had a cover but it had some holes and was flaking off. It was navy, which I hadn't seen before and it exacerbated the worn look to it. We looked at replacing it but the kit was over $250! So we thought it would be fun to try making one ourselves. It was such a fun project! After going to a leather supply store and buying an entire hide and the tools, we did it for less than half the price and had extra for other handles and projects as well. One of the most satisfying boat projects to date. Also, we store our wheel overhead in the cockpit as we liveaboard and get on and off the boat through the sugar scoop. Keeps it protected and out of the way.

IMG_20200811_115845_copy_1512x1134.jpg

IMG_0942_20200918_213934_copy_1512x2016.jpg

IMG_0943_20200918_213934_copy_1512x2016.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Very nice indeed! What kind of leather did you use?

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Also, we store our wheel overhead in the cockpit as we liveaboard and get on and off the boat through the sugar scoop. Keeps it protected and out of the way.
Also, what do you mean by storing the wheel overhead?

dj

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Very nice indeed! What kind of leather did you use?
It was an Italian whole hide from Tandy Leather. Finding one big enough was difficult, we ended up taking the two biggest strips we needed out of the hide diagonally. We also did 3 other grabrails and the stainless rails on the stairs coming from the cockpit down into the boat. Being able to see and feel the hide was important. I had always wanted to do a leather project, this was a big one!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Also, what do you mean by storing the wheel overhead?

dj
Ah, now that you point that out I see, when I first looked, I didn't understand that image...

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
It was an Italian whole hide from Tandy Leather. Finding one big enough was difficult, we ended up taking the two biggest strips we needed out of the hide diagonally. We also did 3 other grabrails and the stainless rails on the stairs coming from the cockpit down into the boat. Being able to see and feel the hide was important. I had always wanted to do a leather project, this was a big one!
I guess I was looking more if you used an aniline type leather or a pigmented type leather; a chrome tan or veg tan leather. I imagine you had to use cow hide. Horse hide might be an excellent leather for this application, but it's hard to find. I'd guess a chrome tan pigmented leather would be the best option, and as you point out, finding a hide large enough is likely difficult.

dj

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Do you seal it before it starts picking up dirt and oils?
No, the finish on it is probably enough. We'll just clean it as needed. But even with the suede ones I haven't seen a problem with anyone's getting too dirty and I would think that they would collect dirt more easily than this one.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
No, the finish on it is probably enough. We'll just clean it as needed. But even with the suede ones I haven't seen a problem with anyone's getting too dirty and I would think that they would collect dirt more easily than this one.
I have no idea what my suede looked like new.
I treat the leather in my Outback regularly to avoid stains.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
When we purchased our new to us Hunter 466, the wheel had a cover but it had some holes and was flaking off. It was navy, which I hadn't seen before and it exacerbated the worn look to it. We looked at replacing it but the kit was over $250! So we thought it would be fun to try making one ourselves. It was such a fun project! After going to a leather supply store and buying an entire hide and the tools, we did it for less than half the price and had extra for other handles and projects as well. One of the most satisfying boat projects to date. Also, we store our wheel overhead in the cockpit as we liveaboard and get on and off the boat through the sugar scoop. Keeps it protected and out of the way.

View attachment 186700

View attachment 186701

View attachment 186702
Well done. I also have a 466 and I too put a leather cover on the wheel but with a foam layer underneath. Very comfortable.

Mar 3, 2023
Bristol 41.1 Greenport, NY
I just wanted to post a note of sincere appreciation for VisionPNW's detailed notes and pic's here! I used it as inspiration to wrap our own 28" wheel, and I'm super pleased with the results. For anyone else who's interested, I thought I'd share some of the details and learnings from my own project.

The leather hide: After reading and researching, I felt comfortable enough making a purchase online (i.e.: sight-unseen), and ended up purchasing a 12" x 24" piece of 2mm full-grain leather from RingSun Leather on Amazon, in "Bourbon Brown". I am VERY happy with the choice. It's feels like the perfect weight and color.

I applied a good leather wax sealant for waterproofing when the project was done. I believe I can simply reapply annually (or perhaps semi-annually).

KEY LEARNINGS:

1) Because I was focused on keeping the entire project budget under $60, I purchased a piece of leather for $30 that could be cut into four 3" x 24" strips -- which could wrap our 1" tubing around its 88" circumference. Next time, I would probably splurge on a larger piece of leather, because although it wrapped perfectly around the stainless tubing, the leather was not wide enough to completely wrap the tubing at the seams (because of the added thickness of the double layers) -- and there are four seams. (See picture below).

2) Also with a larger piece of leather next time, I would wrap the wheel in foam padding prior to applying the leather.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Noice.

Toit.

Smort.

Seriously, excellent work. My grandfather did a lot of really nice leatherwork, some of which we still enjoy.

So, enjoy, and thanks for taking time to document and share the process with us!