DIY Bimini Mount Genoa Track Car

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
In my case, the D stands for Design because I have a neighbor who is very handy with metalwork and has a garage full of tools he enjoys putting to use.

First, I measured the outer diameter of the original car that came on my boat: 7/8".
I had a scrap piece of 7/8" stainless tube on hand, so I had two 3.25" pieces cut and hammered semi-flat to match the contour of the original car. Using about $25 worth of parts from AliExpress and eBay (including a countersink bit to carve out the underside of the car so the screw heads would be flush), below is the finished product. My boat came with mounts installed in the deck but I want to be able to slide the bimini. Does anyone have a good idea as to what to do with the original mount that's installed in the deck? Maybe snap a carabiner for a fender line there? Or just remove and fill the holes with epoxy.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

I'm planning to get an 85"-90" bimini with the understanding that the tracks are 86" apart. I think one of these side walled biminis could be worthwhile. No need for a boom tent with one of these on board. The rails need to be cut down in order for the bimini to fit under the boom, so the side walls might just about cover the entire sides. Does anyone have any thoughts?

bimini.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nice work on the DIY cars! I'd remove the old mounts, personally, they would feel like clutter to me. You could always hang fenders from the new ones.

Side curtains on a Bimini would be really nice when sitting at anchor in chilly/rainy weather. The added space would be huge. But I'd pay whatever it took to get them in clear vinyl instead of fabric.

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
Nice work on the DIY cars! I'd remove the old mounts, personally, they would feel like clutter to me. You could always hang fenders from the new ones.

Side curtains on a Bimini would be really nice when sitting at anchor in chilly/rainy weather. The added space would be huge. But I'd pay whatever it took to get them in clear vinyl instead of fabric.
Thanks! Indeed the old mounts seem to be taking up space. I'll remove them.

I'll order the basic side walls and perhaps design/make my own vinyl set with a sewn-on zipper as needed.

Edit: By the way, this site sells replacement canvas with side walls.

Sep 30, 2013
You could always sew a big vinyl window into that fabric sidewall, if you have the machine and the skills. I have an excellent sewing machine, but no skills. :(

The sidewalls really are an excellent idea. When I make our next Bimini purchase, I think I will definitely get them. They would rarely be used. But on a glum, boring day at anchor in the rain, they would be super nice to have.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Nice work! When I first read the title of this post, I thought you were trying to attach a genoa car to your bimini lol. What's the biggest advantage you've found so far?

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
Nice work! When I first read the title of this post, I thought you were trying to attach a genoa car to your bimini lol. What's the biggest advantage you've found so far?
I haven't purchased the bimini yet. I would expect the advantages to be a bimini with maximum coverage (across the entire beam) and the ability to slide the bimini forward so that it was not obstructing the hatch/pop top when it's folded up.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I haven't purchased the bimini yet. I would expect the advantages to be a bimini with maximum coverage (across the entire beam) and the ability to slide the bimini forward so that it was not obstructing the hatch/pop top when it's folded up.
Even in the Midwest, it provides a substantial reduction in fatigue from the sun. Get the biggest one that will fit. You won't regret it

Sep 30, 2013
Hey Shabby, if you haven't bought your Bimini yet, I strongly suggest getting one with rigid aft legs. When not deployed, the Bimini is up and blessedly out of the way. It's very easy to deal with from that position, and actually looks kinda sporty too. I use bungees rather than straps from the Bimini frame to a forward stanchion to keep it nice and tight. Use aft straps until you find the sweet spot so your aft legs can be cut to the optimum length.

I think you will find that you don't move the Bimini fore and aft very often once you find that sweet spot. Only when launching/retrieving, really. But genny car mounts are wonderful. The only way to go.

IMG_8758.jpg

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
Thanks Gene. I've watched some of your videos and I'm always impressed by how well you've configured your boat. It looks like the bimini with the side walls does have that aft leg you mention. Yesterday I finally mounted the stern pulpit I bought from CD. I don't think stern pulpits came, or at least they weren't standard, on the 1976 Catalina 22. I'll mount that aft leg to the pulpit via a "jaw slide." I've spent a lot of time searching for the best ones. I've bought them from multiple sellers on Ali and Amazon, and these are the only ones that I've found that check all of my boxes. 25mm inner diameter is not an inch, so stay away from those. These are a proper 1-inch diameter. And not only that, but about 2/3 of them come with a 90° chamfer countersink that matches a metric screw/bolt head. I mean, they all have a countersink, but 1/3 of them aren't on center and the screw heads don't actually sink inside. So, I've ordered more than I needed and returned the ones that weren't on center. The item ships with cylindrical thumb screws, and less-discerning customers probably don't go through the trouble I have. I bought some 90° chamfer countersunk M6 x 22mm that allow enough to protrude so I can fasten a lock nut on the backside.

Edit: The screws that come with the item suggest that the hole features a counterbore. And, all of the other sellers' items do seem to be counterbored. But the ones I linked-to are countersunk so the screw fits very nicely in the chamfer and the head is flush when it's tightened down. I spent a lot of effort finding the exact jaw slide I wanted and if others can benefit from my findings that's wonderful.

Countersink-vs-counterbore-1024x641.jpg

It seems I'll have not only the length of that leg to help me find the sweet spot, but also, if I fill the holes after I remove the old hardware from the deck, I can also use those epoxy spots as a gauge. They might not be pretty, but perhaps they'll be useful.

Boat projects!

Last edited: