Dismal Swamp – Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
My friend who I spend that amazing day with in Saint Michaels has pointed out a problem with this blog. I’ve already used up all the big words, stupendous, incredible, etc. That kind of backs me into a corner if things get better. XL used to be largest clothing size but, after McDonalds and TV, they had to start adding X’s on the front. Maybe that will work for me but, until I decide, I’m a bit at a loss for how to describe this portion of the trip.

We ran up through the (insert big word of your choice here) river portion to Deep Creek Lock where we expected to tie up for the night and make the day’s first locking. When it came into sight, however, the gates were open, the green light was on, and the radio was saying, “Come on in.” We made it by 10 minutes. As I told the couple currently cruising in company with me, “Stick close to me, I always have good luck.”

I’d spend some time awake in the very early morning g worrying about how to handle a lock singlehanded, having been through many. Once I stopped trying to think and apply my experience and just listened to the lock tender (after a gentle suggestion on his part), it went as smoothly as you could wish.

We were ready to untie the lines and waiting for the gate to open but the lock tender came over, stood between the boats, and said, “What would you like to know.” We then sat there enthralled for the better part of an hour while he told us the history of the canal and the area in such an entertaining style that we could easily have sat through another hour if the sun wasn’t dipping behind the trees.

We spent the night tied up just above the lock and woke to the first frost I’ve seen on the decks this trip. The run down to the visitor’s center was (insert more big words here). The canal is only about the width of three traffic lanes and the shoulders are full of fallen and overhanging trees. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I expected however. The cut is so straight that I was able to set the autopilot which I could overpower just enough to adjust my position in the channel and avoid trees, both wet and dry.

We spent the night at the visitor’s center after a stroll around the boardwalk and trails. We plan to go back up to the feeder canal today and take their dinghy up into Lake Drummond.

I can’t believe how many experienced ICW travelers told me not to come this way. It’s a good example of why even the best advice should always be taken with a good deal of consideration of other points of view and your particular circumstances.

I have some great pictures, worth 10,000 words, as they say. I’ll update this post with some of them so check back.

As promised, here are the pictures of the first day.

Locking in the evening before at Deep Creek Lock.:

Dawn at the landing above the lock. (Photo by Lynn Zemlin)

I woke to the first frost on the decks of the trip:

Deep Creek Lock at dawn:

"Serendipity, Lee and Lynn's Bristol 38.8 that I have been traveling with for several days:

Sunrise and mist on the canal:

Ready to depart:

Canal level control structure:

The Deep Creek Bridge:

The view ahead:

The view astern:

Another state passed with out Strider's keel ever contacting it:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Poor Roger Long, not enough big words. Too bad, so sad. See ya, really want to be ya.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Roger Long said:
My friend who I spend that amazing day with in Saint Michaels has pointed out a problem with this blog. I’ve already used up all the big words, stupendous, incredible, etc. That kind of backs me into a corner if things get better. XL used to be largest clothing size but, after McDonalds and TV, they had to start adding X’s on the front. Maybe that will work for me but, until I decide, I’m a bit at a loss for how to describe this portion of the trip.

I have some great pictures, worth 10,000 words, as they say. I’ll update this post with some of them so check back.
If you're looking for sympathy for lack of suitable adjectives (insert your favorite expletive ) too bad.... Sounds like a great trip so far!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Dismal Swamp

Have stopped at the visitor center many times on my way south but in the car. A good friend in a 36 Selene trawler did that cut once and extolled its' virtues. Another friend wrote an article that was published by Boat US in their magazine a few months back about it. What I find amazing is how it was dug out back in the days of shovels and strong backs, and maybe a horse or two.

Nov 15, 2011
Chappaquiddick 25 25' catboat Hyannis, MA
Way cool. As you can see from my post time, you're not far from out of the swamp. Always wanted to check that place out.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Dismal Swamp

Well, I'll be (your favorite expletive), Rodger.
I've been up and down the Dismal Swamp canal 6 or 7 times, but neither I, nor anyone I know, (cruiser at least), has ever stopped and dinghyed up the feeder canal to Lake Drummond. Leave it to the tourists to see all the local attractions...:)

Told'ya the locks would be easy and that you'd enjoy the "Great Dismal".

Maybe the good 'ol boys will be deer hunting from their boats as you go down the Pasquotank to Eliz City ...that's fun .... Y'all be careful, now.
Oh, and since you like swamps, ... well, you're gonna love the next month on the ICW, especially when you get down to South Carolina.
Good thing it's (hopefully) gettin' a little chilly for the misquotes to still be out.

rbgarr

Sep 10, 2011
Shields 30 Boothbay Harbor
McDonalds will do....

Well, McRoger, I won't be disappointed if you continue to use readily at hand McSuperlatives on your way down the McDismal, McICW and beyond. How far do eventually supoose you'l McGet? Our recall of your previous McBlog entries are short-lived. It's looking forward to the next ones that McInterest us.

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
After years of nattering electronically, it was great to pass the famous "Strider" tied up at the Feeder Creek. No dinghy? The sign at the Creek said "Enter At Your Own Risk" so I just knew that's where you'd gone. See you in Elizabeth City.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
A little DSC history

In May 1763, George Washington made his first visit to the Great Dismal Swamp and suggested draining it and digging a north-south canal through it to connect the waters of the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia and Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. As the first president, Washington agreed with Virginia Governor Patrick Henry that canals were the easiest answer for an efficient means of internal transportation and urged their creation and improvement. In 1784, the Dismal Swamp Canal Company was created. Work was started in 1793. The canal was dug completely by hand; most of the labor was done by slaves hired from nearby landowners. It took approximately 12 years of back-breaking construction under highly unfavorable conditions to complete the 22-mile long waterway, which opened in 1805.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismal_Swamp_Canal#cite_note-1

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
And didn't some of the land belong to Washington? So he was paid for the construction. Not sure about the slaves. They did a great job at any rate.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I drove up Rt 17 from Eliz city to Norfolk (and eventually Greenport NY) this Am I had a keen eye out for Strider but alas saw nothing in the canal - barely saw the canal! Beautiful weather Stuck toes in the ocean on obx yesterday and wished i had bathsuit for full immersion

Dec 26, 2008
Bristol 30 Long Island Sound
I can say without hyperbole that this is 1000 times better than anything else I have read.:D

Sep 6, 2011
Awesome! I'm really enjoying this trip while I armchair sail while hauled for winter. It helps at least to dream. Roger in case no one mentioned it toilet cleaner will remove that intercostal waterway smile Strider is sporting. :) Can't wait for the Lake Drummond update. Cheers! SC

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Roger, what is your draft on srtider....Red

Status
Not open for further replies.