Dinghy towing

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
Looking for counsel regarding towing our dinghy. First, we are lake sailors and generally tow our dinghy for a short distance, so no major blue water issues. Our new dinghy is an 11 ft RIB (with outboard attached) and has attachments on both sides of the inflatable part of the bow for a bridle as well as a thru hull u-bolt on the rigid fiberglass hull near the bow. In the past, we have used a V shaped bridle from the back of the mother ship to a ring that connects to the painter that has been attached to the u-bolt on the underside of the bow. Given the relative short distances and the conditions in which we tow the dinghy, is there merit in reworking our current model to include a bridle vs the single line?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
My only concern would be too many lines behind the stern of the boat. We usually use a single floating line tied to a V shaped bridle that attaches at both sides of the inflatable dinghy. The bridle keeps the dinghy's bow tracking straight behind the boat reducing side pulls. If you are not experiencing any problems I would not change a thing.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
:plus: For @Benny17441. I'm far from counseling expertise, so I'll just mention our technique. We too use a fairly short double bridle employing medium sized stainless caribeaners attached to the d-rings of the dinghy sponsons. The dinghy bow line d-ring is reserved for shore approach, docking, or temporary anchoring. I would also like to reiterate that the bridle is fairly short, but can be tossed into the dinghy, and all lines are floating. The painter is adjusted as needed off the stern cleat of the H30, and most importantly shorted when in reverse. The image below offers the basics. Hardware eliminates the need to tie bowlines...and we leave the OB and fuel tank on the dinghy when more than a day sail on our Lake. Please ignore the power boat inclusion, and we always leave the drain plug in place. If it rains or water enters, I get to do some dinghy wheelies while under power with the plug out...or simply bail it out.

IMG_0509.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The dinghy bow line d-ring is reserved for shore approach, docking, or temporary anchoring.
I beg to differ; it should be a three-point tow including an attachment to the bow ring. See what happens if not. (One reason why I'm not a fan of towing dinghies.) I doubt this would happen in a small, calm lake; but it might in any steep wind chop of 3 to 4 ft.

Towing bridle from lost Achilles with tow rings attached1.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
You are on a lake...... there is no worries on how you will tow. I've towed a RIB, with 15hp motor attached, by the bow ring for 10 years and through some ugly weather, some times watching it skate sideways down the waves.... I tried a set up that used the secondary rings and found it tended to tow the bow too high and leave a large wake behind, and that's with the gas tank in the bow. If it gets rough enough that you're concerned about towing it should be on davits or inverted on the bow.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Attach towing bridle to dinghy bridle (with a luggage tag hitch) from your stern cleats. That way you can shorten one leg or the other of your towing bridle to center the dink in your stern slick and will have no weaving about.
If is going to be rough, you really should take your motor off and stow it aboard.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
KG, never seen that before! You ripped the cups right off the bra? Ok, give more detail on the circumstances...come on man, this looks like a photo of a failed Defibrillator unit? We don't have such forces observed frequently here. How old was the dinghy...just curious?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Notwithstanding King's pointed illustration, when we had an inflatable, we ran lines from each side to the respective cleats on each side of the stern. They were (are) 20' three-braid nylon dock lines (5/16th or 3/8th; don't recall). I have water-ski floats on them to keep them from sinking. I did run a loose line from the bow also as a back-up. Never a problem in tracking. Only once did I have to let the line way out and attach an extension in big following seas (to the center bow line).
For the last twenty years, I have towed my poly 10' hard dink with a three point harness and engine attached, since it tows better with a little weight on the stern. No problems in some tough conditions. It will slew a bit sideways in larger beam seas, but the bow stays put due to the three-point rig. Note that the hard dink doesn't have side tow rings, just the center bow.
IMG_20131025_112507_110.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
KG, never seen that before! You ripped the cups right off the bra? Ok, give more detail on the circumstances...come on man, this looks like a photo of a failed Defibrillator unit? We don't have such forces observed frequently here. How old was the dinghy...just curious?
The dinghy was a 10'2" Achilles inflatable with the air floor bought new from Defender in July 2008 and lost in Nov. 2010. I had towed it around on that bridle for many miles b/c it was a bit heavy for me to repeatedly muscle aboard and stow by lashing to the foredeck. I was in a hurry :badbad:early one morning to get going on a trip from Long Beach to San Diego (about 90 n.mi.), so instead of taking the time I should have taken (but which I did not really have) to get it properly lashed on the foredeck, I took it in tow. I knew that the weather forecast predicted strong Santa Ana winds from the NNE that morning; but, my course was SE and fairly close to shore. I was 5 n.mi. off Newport Beach (ca. 9 n.mi. down course) still motoring when the wind started to pick up. Me inexperienced mate was at the helm while I was below making breakfast when I poked my head out to see what was happening. The water was getting white off our port quarter with some serious wind chop starting to build. I took over the helm just as we started getting hard slaps of wind chop against the port hull which sprayed into the cockpit, raining down on uso_O. I turned around to fetch the dink in closer only to see it half sunk (an inflatable!!) a couple of boat lengths astern; us still scooting along with the bridle and the tow rings that had been glued to it:cuss:. The wind was in the low 30's. I considered trying to recover it but w/ my neophyte crew who would have to maneuver the boat, I did not go after it. I was thinking of selling it anyway as it was too much trouble for me. I figured after the deductible, I'd get from the insurance if it never turned up (which it did not) about what I could have sold it for.

So, we turned easterly for Newport Harbor, now getting pounded by steep wind chop on the port bow sending up so much spray that I became totally drenched from head to foot sitting at the helm:angry:. After an hour we pulled into the harbor and took a side-tie at one of the YCs. The wind blew for several hours more in the high 20's. When it finally died down in late afternoon to about 15-20 kt we took off back to Long Beach, then drove to San Diego the next day.:solame: The only thing I could think of is that I had at one time used Armor All to clean and polish the dink, and someone later told me that Armor All would melt or dissolve the glue, which maybe it did!! Still, I also have read that the center tow ring should be used; i.e., that the dink should not be towed using the d-rings on the tubes only.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"The only thing I could think of is that I had at one time used Armor All to clean and polish the dink, and someone later told me that Armor All would melt or dissolve the glue, which maybe it did!!"
Ah, yes; thus my hard dink. I killed two that way before I found out what I was doing. Also one crash-pad on my car dash. The stuff is banned from my garage.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My dinghy does not even have the rings on the tubes, so it gets towed by the thru-hull U-bolt.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
We towed a caribe hard bottom dinghy all around the Panhanle of Fl behind a Bene 393 without incident. Never in seas over 4 feet. Used a single polypropylene painter with one end tied to the center bow ring on the dinghy and one end on a stern cleat. Had no problems whatsoever.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the Boat US diagram they show a bowline attaching to the dingy bridle. Line can chafe through line pretty quickly. I'd rather have a shackle tied to the painter and clipped on the bridle.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you weren't towing the boat with the engine, then I think what you do is fine. But with an engine, (or if you have "Stuff") in the dingy, you increase the drag and shock loads on the fittings a lot on the inflatable.

First, I'd make sure that the engine is attache to the stern mounting board with a cable that will keep the engine around even if the dingy is flipped over (or whatever).

Secondly, I'd have the ties set so that the bridles wouldn't take much shock load. I'd run the line so that it connected to the fitting on hull of the rigid bottom.

I know (because I have a 4hp, light 2 cycle outboard), that you don't want to stop towing the dingy with the engine and having to deal with that. Regardless, there are thunderstorms, passing boats wakes, etc. that can make that problematic. You've been lucky. ;^)))

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I tow my Avon air floor but without the motor on it. I use a three point bridle with a float and floating polypropylene painter. I tow with a single line to a stanchion on my port stern. I use this technique in lake and ocean, but have nothing in the dinghy so loads are small. This allows me to see thru the dodger while sitting so I don't have to stand all the time to clear ahead.
IMG_1762.JPG

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We once had an inflatable dinghy with the bridle loops torn. We towed it with the bow eye all the time. No problem at all.
I say bring enough line to try options and see what the simplest thing that works for your setup is.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken, do you like the floating poly or an old sheet line for towing?