How Big Is Your Dinghy

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
The Portabote appears to be a pretty nifty concept, but at what price for the budget minded?
Not cheap. They periodically run deals. Ours was around 1600 on one of those. Cheaper than most ribs, though. Of course, after I bought ours, I've seen them pop up occasionally on craigslist for 500, or so. Often, the craigslist ads are for practically unused boats.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
What do you guys that tow use for your bridle? I was thinking of polypropylene so that it would float when backing and not fowl the prop.
Yes, woven-cover polypro and one of these, note it runs to each side of the dink bow, and has a ring for a line that runs to each of your aft cleats. That keeps the boat from hunting, and in your slick. That greatly reduces drag.

Backing is not your only risk, a following sea can jam a dink up on you.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....a following sea can jam a dink up on you.
I had...

... that problem a couple times on the last trip and had to let the dinghy back quite a ways further than I normally do to deal with it. In the following video the dingy was up close to the ladder that I use as a tow bar but then I let it out further behind...

Then the problem was it would run down the waves and the line would go slack and when the slack came out it was like a rifle shot (you can see some of that in the video above). I am pretty sure that had it done that all day long (along with the same situation a couple other days) with me towing it from the rings on the bow that I would of pulled them out.

I started towing from the dinghy's transom a couple trips back and have no problems doing that and it takes all the loads off the bow rings and transfers it to the transom. More on the setup here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-17.html

I originally towed with a floating line and didn't like that as the dinghy wasn't under control at all times. Now 90+% of the time she is sucked up to the tow-bar (ladder's end) and no more problems. I've towed a couple thousand miles like this with no real problems. I also have a second line running back to the dinghy that is slack. I'd hate to look back there at some point and see the dinghy gone if for some reason something happened to the main tow line,
Sumner
====================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I tried that... with all the leaning on it while going forward it had a leak in it within a year. My advice is to have any inflatable either fully inflated or fully deflated and stored. (and keep squirrels away from it!)

druid
I was not recommending it for long term storage, just to get it out of the water when needed for weather.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When I towed my dinghy I would use a bridle on D rings with as backup single line going through the middle
of the bridle to a bow secured D ring on imflatable or if not to a secure stern spot and do this as backup extra safety line.
I lost my dinghy one time and was not even ruff weather,now I love my Davits.
Nick

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Yes, woven-cover polypro and one of these, note it runs to each side of the dink bow, and has a ring for a line that runs to each of your aft cleats. That keeps the boat from hunting, and in your slick. That greatly reduces drag.

Backing is not your only risk, a following sea can jam a dink up on you.

I found a polypropylene tow bridle buried in the port aft lazarette under the stern anchor rode. It towed pretty well two weekends ago when I went on an overnight with my sailing club. Since it only has one bow D-ring it wandered a bit side to side as I was towing. I want to add some cleats to the bow, but I am trying to figure out how to do this on a plastic boat, so that they will not pull out?
2017-02-12 Stargazer.jpg

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
I've got a small (7.5ft, 55#, two person) hard rowing dinghy that I store upside down on the fore deck or tow using two floating line painters. I only use it to get to shore or put out a crab trap. Works great for what I need.
http://www.plasticboats.com/

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Pateco
I know a few friends that have the dinghy you show in your photo but not sure how they have secured anything,I will ask what they did or keep asking here and we have at least 6 in our club and a few have them on davits and remember some one asking same question as you and will ask them
Nick