Dinghy for 310 Advice please

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I was reading this thread about dinghies, davits and all the options and finally found some pictures that I wanted to post. One low cost option for carrying a dinghy might be the "Dinghy Sling" from Harbormenmarine.com in Mass. I ordered one for $245 and installed it on my Cat 310 (hull #1) and the attached pictures show how it carries the dinghy. Like anything it takes some practice to figure out the best position and then how to use it deploying and retrieving the dinghy. I have to say that I have not done extensive cruising with it yet but have made a two day ocean sail and it was very stable. Dinghy is a 9.5 foot Boat US model and is pretty heavy. But the system carried it very well and it was steady. I am downsizing the OB to a 2.5 hp so it is easier to handle and will use it again on another cruise in March or April. Just thought I would share this with the group as a possible low cost option to carry the dink.
Bob
How do you deal with the fact you have blocked your stern light?

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
How do you deal with the fact you have blocked your stern light?
Good question and something I had not considered. I expect that the stern light might be relocated either higher or lower. Many sailors with davits relocate their stern light to the top of the davit for the same reason.
BK

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There are also battery powered lights that meet the USGS requirements for stern lights. We have one for our inflatable that can easily be used to make a higher stern light when the dingy is covering it.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
These are the ones I bought for my dinghy (see thread on LED lights below). Please note they are not approved lights. Not even for a dinghy let alone our 31' boat. From the website: Do Attwood portable navigation lights meet Coast Guard regulations?
Attwood portable navigation lights are designed for night time operation of small boats and tenders without 12-volt electrical systems. These lights are not intended to meet Coast Guard regulations.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good question and something I had not considered. I expect that the stern light might be relocated either higher or lower. Many sailors with davits relocate their stern light to the top of the davit for the same reason.
BK
Not an issue on the C310. The dinghy sits well above the level of the stern light.