Dinghy Davits Whats the best?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Really

I did find when first called that I needed to wait for return call and did take longer but it was during Sailboat Show.
But did not have any problems with ordering parts for my used davits that I
did not buy directly from them and thought they were very helpful with parts and questions over phone even sent a new complete manual.
Nick

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I would reiterate MS's comment. If you are doing open ocean sailing you really don't want to put a dingy on davits.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Here's what I do

I would reiterate MS's comment. If you are doing open ocean sailing you really don't want to put a dingy on davits.
Well, I'm pretty comfortable with the weight bearing capability of my davits.
With the built in winches, plus the fact that the dinghy locks to the upper arms, this is a rugged setup.
Before I put in the davits, I had a very simple system:
I would always buy dinghys with removable wood slat floors.
Very easy to stow below and in a variety of lockers.
I didn't like the idea of a motor mount bracket on the stern rail. First, without beefing up the stern rail, it's not strong enough IMO
So, what I did was mount a really neat wall bracket system in my foredeck locker.
So, the engine goes on a halyard, down the fore hatch, and very securely mounts on the bulkhead wall. Real sturdy stuff.

But, with the davits I'm not inclined to do this any more.
One more important thing:

If your going to have your dinghy hoisted, open the drain cocks!
No sense having hundreds of pounds of water hanging off the stern

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Dingy full of water ...... exactly what the problem with going to sea with one on the davits. A good swamping and you have a potential several thousand pounds hanging off the stern ......resulting in more swamping....

Probably not the brightest idea in a storm when you are trying to helm the boat.

Then one davit fails and the dingy is now a really good sea anchor........

This is not a theory, I had a line fail on on davit and I can confirm that a hard shell dingy shaped sea anchor is very effective at dominating the steering of the boat. You end up stern to the wind and that may or may not be what is the best point of sail for the conditions.

FWIW

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
I guess that's what they make knives for. Better to loose the dinghy than the boat. You can have a custom made or stock dinghy cover made that would help keep the water out. This is why I chose the Kato Voyager davit system. I see tubular davits mounted on the push pits and everything flexes.
With an Achilles 350DX and 15hp motor I have a 2.4 safety factor built on top of Kato's design factor.
There will always be a storm where you'll want to secure to the deck. But till then I feel I'll hang onto the dinghy and motor longer tied up in the davits then floating tethered with a nylon rope while at anchor.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Goes without saying

I guess that's what they make knives for. Better to loose the dinghy than the boat. You can have a custom made or stock dinghy cover made that would help keep the water out. This is why I chose the Kato Voyager davit system. I see tubular davits mounted on the push pits and everything flexes.
With an Achilles 350DX and 15hp motor I have a 2.4 safety factor built on top of Kato's design factor.
There will always be a storm where you'll want to secure to the deck. But till then I feel I'll hang onto the dinghy and motor longer tied up in the davits then floating tethered with a nylon rope while at anchor.
If you see a storm coming your way, put on the dinghy cover.
I found with my system, it had enough strength to lift the dinghy I with a considerable amount of water, but mine is way over-built.
So, for the 10 minutes it takes to snap on a cover, it's a non-issue.

Oct 6, 2013
Beneteau 37 PE Annapolis
37 PE & Solar

When my Beneteau Oceanis 37 arrives it will be outfitted with Kato Marine "Voyager" Davits. Each arm is capable of lifting 420 lbs. http://www.katomarine.com/saildavits-voyager.htm
They would be great on your size Hunter. They are usually seen on the larger sailboats like yours but I want a strong davit system that is independent of the push pits. I will also mount solar panels on them.
Anybody thought about or have input on bimini mounted solar panels?

Jun 16, 2004
Hunter 40.5 751 New Bern NC
Arch/davit

Installed arch from Atlantic tower NJ holds 10rib with 15hp 4 stoke,radar,antennas and me standing inside the dink without a problem.don't do this with the other Davits Thayer will break for sure.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Anybody thought about or have input on bimini mounted solar panels?
Use these. You can sew zippers or velcro to them and attach them directly to your bimini. They're a bit expensive, but you save the cost of having to build a frame or arch, and you can remove them, roll them up and store them below in a storm.

http://www.emarineinc.com/products/Solbian-125W-Flexible-Solar-Panel-.html

As for the gentleman with the davits, I think you'll find that to mount something that can carry 350+ lbs plus a safety margin, you're looking at custom made. I don't think there are any off-the-shelf systems that are really intended for those types of loads.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Use these. You can sew zippers or velcro to them and attach them directly to your bimini. They're a bit expensive, but you save the cost of having to build a frame or arch, and you can remove them, roll them up and store them below in a storm.

http://www.emarineinc.com/products/Solbian-125W-Flexible-Solar-Panel-.html

As for the gentleman with the davits, I think you'll find that to mount something that can carry 350+ lbs plus a safety margin, you're looking at custom made. I don't think there are any off-the-shelf systems that are really intended for those types of loads.
NEVER, EVER "roll up" Solbian panels unless you want a big fat hole where your wallet used to be.!!!

Solbian panels are "semi-flexible" monocrystalline panels not "roll-up", elcheapo, horrible efficiency armorphous panels.....

Stow them under a berth cushion instead and you won't even know they are there..

Jun 13, 2017
Southerly 115 MK IV Lake Forest
Art, your davits look like exactly what I want to install on my recently purchased Southerly 115 MK IV. Would like something secure, where I don't have to remove the dinghy in rough weather, etc. How did your davits perform in rough weather,.. did you need to secure the dinghy against the hull, etc.? And, who made these? Thanks much,... very valuable information!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Last week, Sailrite posted a how-to on mounting flexible solar panels to a bimini. It looks like a good system. My aluminum- framed panels are bolted to SS tubes.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I bought my 2003 466 new and have often contemplated davits but never did install them due to some of the previously listed disadvantages. My BBQ is on the stern rail and that could not be used with the davits. Unless your 225 lb dinghy is absolutely essential consider a lighter dinghy. My 9.5' rhib weighs 100 lbs and I use my spinnaker halyard and windlass to lift it off the foredeck. If your 466 is a rare cutter rig then of course there is not enough room for a dinghy on the foredeck. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a Wells davit on my 410 that was installed by a previous owner. It is substantial. The davit is bolted to the hull and welded to my arch. My dingy rides high and I can get on and off the boat under it. I have not been concerned with waves but don't go out in anything more than 6-8 ft. If I was ever doing an ocean crossing I would put the dingy on the foredeck as others suggested.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
I used these on my 356: https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/category/5/davits-for-hardshell-dinghies.htm
They amount to 2 hooks on the dinghy gunwale and loops on the boat, a foot or so above the waterline. All parts are heavy duty stainless. Hook the dinghy to the boat, and the dinghy hinges up and lays very securely against the stern. No dinghy flying in midair behind the cockpit. Launch and recovery are fast. Easy to install, took me a total of about 4 hours, which included adding reinforcement plates in the dinghy and in the big boat. I realize it's not for everyone, but it's sure worked well for me. Price is probably 1/10th that of a full traditional davit outfit.
dinghy.jpg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did have weaver davits on my 2007 H-36 and was OK except when heeling my 10' inflatable would get hit with water off the hull and also had to take the outboard off and on and could never get off the boat at the stern when boat was folded up and when none smooth water made things difficult if the weaver davits are not installed right height.
I switched to Ocean Marine Davits was easy install for me and leave motor on all the time when cruising and can get off and on with dinghy on davits the dinghy so easy and fast to deploy dinghy.
We did not always want to add Davits but after seeing other boats with davits saw first hand how nice and now we love the Davits with our walk thru stern and do keep a sharp knife handy but have never had a problem even when cruising down to the Keys and Dry Tortugas and over nighting and some nasty weather a few times.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Have a 2003 356 and went through having a 9'6" Achilles on the front deck and using the spinnaker halyard and rope bridal to lower , was a real pain and kept us from using the dinghy as much. Wife wanted the davits so now we have them.
Also went with Ocean Marine Systems Davits which I recently purchased and installed and are very happy with the result. Makes traveling and using the dinghy much more usable and enjoyable. Got the 6:1 block on the stern/engine side which makes it a breeze.
Will be going on a 11 day trip down the Chesapeake Bay soon and it will be used often as we anchor out a lot.
Now I need to just get a longer slip:banghead:
Some times Mike @ OMS is hard to get a hold of but he will get back to you.
Jeff
LegaSea OMS Davits.jpg

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
I'm surprised no one suggested Garhauer davits. Great value and a very well'engineered product. Comes with 6-1 blocks and line for both arms, and not just one side. Plus Garhuer really stands behind their products.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Bought an Ocean Marine Davit for my Hunter 380 this year. RIB is a WM double fiberglass bottom, 10'3" , 130 lbs. With a new Yamaha 9.9...90Lbs, plus gas tank and other items- 50lbs. No , I would not get a smaller RIB or less HP. And the flat inside bottom is just so much better.... I plane nicely, and have room for the wife and the dog.

I bought their heavy duty model Davit , medium height, rated at 450lbs. I have access to stern and all storage compartments. I have the cross member for a solar panel mount and increased strength and a 160 watt solar panel mounted which takes up entire area.. I have 3 to 1 and 6 to 1 pulley on stern. While access is good I would have liked the tallest model which is 5" taller ( of course it would be weaker, IMHO). The RIB is as high as the stern seating, so waves coming over the stern and swamping the RIB is not much of a problem. The cockpit would be swamped also....

IMPORTANT.
My blocks were rigged badly. The Installer changed the way Ocean Marine had them rigged, even with instructions not to change them. Getting the engine end up was a bear. NOW Re rigged correctly , but still not that easy. However I have electric 46st winches and I use them to pull up the RIB. The owner of Ocean Marine, I sent photos of the rigging to and he diagnosed the problem. He was very helpful over a long period and many screw ups at the boatyard.

IMPORTANT. The RIB is to be pulled up tight against the davits which prevents the normal sway, locks the rib in place. It is designed that way. I do advise a rubber patch or even a folded towel at that point to prevent rubbing. The biat yard wanted to leave the RIB hanging down... a few minutes on the water in chop and you know that is a no starter.

IMPORTANT. The davit does not extend far out over the stern. Half or more of the width of my Rib is within the boat over the swim platform (but high up, so there is access, 5'8"). This is not a mistake as the boat yard complained. Extending out further is more stress on the Davit, the RIB is more exposed and would interfere more with boat handling, length and etc. When lowering a gentle nudge with the knee is required for the RIB to clear the swim platform. And yes its a great place to throw the fenders.... or tie them to the davit or its spare cleats.

These Davits are designed in part for the Hunter and its sugar scoop stern.... and for the RIB to be tucked in tight against the davit.

I read lots of stories by cruisers before I went down this path. All said get a davit, the deck is a pain as is blowing boat up after unfolding. Get a flat bottom inside to prevent sliding and broken ankles. They have proven to be right. I don't think a 68 year old couple is going to be regularly hoisting, deflating and securing a RIB after first removing a 90lb outboard.

I have my Magma Party Kettle grill mounted in a fish rod holder (Have 6 mounted, WM 2 for 1 sale)) and the davit nor RIB is in the way of the grill.

Pls note, the stern railing is tied into the ARCH and the davit is tied into the railing and the deck... that's a lot of engineered support, with lots of cross/vector strength.

If its not easy, its does not get used or done.

Regards,

Viper

Last edited: