Difficulty raising mainsail on Hunter 33.5

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
I am having increased difficulty raising mainsail on Hunter 33.5. I've replaced sheaves, halyard, lubricated tracks gone to the gym and nothing is improving this difficulty. Please advise if you have had a similar issue.

Aug 12, 2014
I used Mclube for the lubricant and the mast is a fractional rig therefore it has a good curve at the top above the forestay

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I recently replaced all of the slugs on the main due to breakage and age. Have found that the slugs and track still require frequent lubrication. I can generally hoist the main to within the last 3 to 4 feet by hand before using the winch. I have accepted the fact it will require frequent inspection and lubrication.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A few years ago Practical Sailor ran an article or two on cleaning the mast track. Especially on freshwater, spiders can set up house keeping in the track and that will gum things up.

Also, consider replacing the track with a Tides track. Makes a world of difference. We did and now we have to wear a hard hat when letting the sail down. :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are only so many elements involved in the raising of a sail. Friction is the enemy. Eliminating it is the key. That is why StrongTrack has such a following.
  • Mast track. The luff grove or the track material can attract dirt and contmination. Maintaining it in a clean state reduces friction.
  • Sail Luff. The sail material is clean and smooth, if it is a luff rope. Slides either slugs or cars are tightly - securely attached to sail (if they are loose or poorly attached they can turn and bind). Proper lubrication such as SailKote can reduce friction.
  • Halyard. Ropes age and chafe. They no longer run smoothly over the sheaves or they leave strands that catch and bind causing friction. Inspect and replace your halyards as needed. Use a halyard diameter that matches the width of your sleeves and exit blocks.
  • Turning blocks. This tool is another great place for friction. Reduce friction by assuring that the blocks are aligned to turn the halyard in the proper direction. Use blocks with bearings not just a plastic wheel on a spindle. Keep the bearings clean by regularly rinsing the block with water and a mild soap.
Eliminate the friction and you should be able to raise your sail without having to buy the "Super Strong" gym membership

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
There is also technique... on masts with halyard exits above shoulder height hoisting by hand at the mast while a crew tails gives you much more result for your effort.. a big pull, tailer takes up slack, repeat... WAY faster too, an advantage again if you have lazy jacks..

Unfortunately this won't work nearly as well for you as I believe the hunter halyards exit at the deck level...

For solo sailors the same technique can be applied but you need to add a cam cleat on the mast to temporarily hold the halyard while you gather up the slack from the cockpit (assuming lines led aft).

Aug 12, 2014
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions, one or all of them will fix this issue (I hope)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Also, consider replacing the track with a Tides track. Makes a world of difference. We did and now we have to wear a hard hat when letting the sail down. :biggrin:

+1 for the Tides track. I installed one on my 40.5 and the difference was amazing.

Sep 24, 2021
Another big thumbs up for the Tides track... vs Harken batt cars the 'stack' is much shorter so the headboard is more easily reached.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
There is also technique... on masts with halyard exits above shoulder height hoisting by hand at the mast while a crew tails gives you much more result for your effort.. a big pull, tailer takes up slack, repeat... WAY faster too, an advantage again if you have lazy jacks..

Unfortunately this won't work nearly as well for you as I believe the hunter halyards exit at the deck level...
On our '92 Hunter 33.5 the halyard does exit the mast about 6' or more above the deck, and the main raising method you describe is exactly how we do it.

kingle

May 24, 2011
Hunter 386 East Greenwich RI
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions, one or all of them will fix this issue (I hope)
I have a roller furling main -- what I have noted on raising it once a year - SAILCOAT! for lube.
Next, I do need to ease the boom vang and sheet when rolling the main out. The boom rises a little bit when I set sail.
So.... possible on yours you have the vang and sheets too tight and you're fighting them raising the sail.
Others also mentioned cleaning the track - not a bad idea. See practical sailor on some cleaning options and jigs.

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
Here's an odd suggestion,, on my Hunter 30T, I had a similar issue,,
I couldn't get the main to the very top of the mast - check your reefing lines,,,

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Here's an odd suggestion,, on my Hunter 30T, I had a similar issue,,
I couldn't get the main to the very top of the mast - check your reefing lines,,,
And make sure your main sheet is released because the boom will rise as the sail gets to the top.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great point Rich.

We have all these control and trim ropes all over the boat. Sometimes they are just in the way and sometimes my some-timers kicks in and I forget they were left controlling something.

Sep 24, 2021
Yes.... vang released, sheet released, reefing lines free, cunningham slack.... clear of lazy jacks....

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
My Tartan 30 had the main halyard sheave wear out. The aluminum sheave had a bronze oilite bushing in it. Over time the bushing had deformed and extruded out the sides of the sheave, binding the sheave in the masthead. After removing the pin, I had to use two screwdrivers to extract the old bushing. As I recall, the new bushing was $0.50 at the local bearing shop. I made up a suitable tool to press it into place.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I installed a mast track system from Tides Marine ~2 years ago when I got a new main and jib. It's much easier to raise the main now.. I do have two reef lines installed and it's still important to feed slack through those while raising the main. When we get down to the 3rd reef I just use a couple of sail ties to secure the fore and aft reef points. Fortunately we've only had to use the 3rd reef for ~1/2 day over the last few thousand miles. After that 1/2 day we dropped the main completely and continued on under storm staysail alone for the next 2 days.

• Helpful