Diesel starts on its own! Boat needs an exorcism.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow. Hopefully I can find the problem quickly.

Going forward I'm gonna be more careful about disabling an engine before I work on it.

Jul 23, 2009
I can't figure out how to remove the instrument panel. Doesn't appear to have screws in the corners.
It's in a very awkward place. Had to remove the wheel.
Ideas?

Jul 23, 2009
The engine panel is glued in. Rats!

I pulled the ignition switch out and took it apart. Of course the plastic cracked. I found a little water inside it. I blew the water out and drilled a small drain hole in the very bottom of it. Then I glued it back together. Gonna have to find a new switch.

The switch didn't have any significant corrosion inside. The way the switch works internally, as it ages, I can see this type of failure happening. What I'm trying to say is when this switch gets old and fails the contacts will close, potentially start the engine like mine did.

There isn't a lot of room to work. I did find some extra wire and a connector in the back of the boat. It looked good. There isn't enough room to work on it. If it proves to be a problem I'll have to cut the connector out and pull the slack into another part of the boat where i can work on it. The connector isn't a trailer plug BTW.

Time to put the boat back together.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The engine panel is glued in. Rats!

I pulled the ignition switch out and took it apart. Of course the plastic cracked. I found a little water inside it. I blew the water out and drilled a small drain hole in the very bottom of it. Then I glued it back together. Gonna have to find a new switch.

The switch didn't have any significant corrosion inside. The way the switch works internally, as it ages, I can see this type of failure happening. What I'm trying to say is when this switch gets old and fails the contacts will close, potentially start the engine like mine did.

There isn't a lot of room to work. I did find some extra wire and a connector in the back of the boat. It looked good. There isn't enough room to work on it. If it proves to be a problem I'll have to cut the connector out and pull the slack into another part of the boat where i can work on it. The connector isn't a trailer plug BTW.

Time to put the boat back together.
Some ignition switches (e.g., Cole-Hersee) already have a drain hole, which is to be installed with the drain hole pointing down. Is it possible that your switch alrady has such a hole and that it was mounted upside down?

Jul 23, 2009
My back is killing. I wanted to also change the fluids and all the filters. Not sure thats gonna happen.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
I went home, my back just couldn't take anymore boat yoga. I also forgot my filter wrench.

After doing a little more research I'm not convinced that the switch that the was the problem.

One thing I didn't share earlier. When I first got to the boat I put a meter on the solenoid wire after I turned the batteries on. It had 13.6 volts on it. I pulled the wire off of the engine fuse and I could hear the starter relay (not the starter solenoid) click. It did this several times and then quit. This tells me that the problem is beyond the relay toward the ignition switch. There is one more connector directly behind the relay. It is possible that while I was messing the fuse lead I wiggled the harness and cleared the short. I will take a good look at it next time I get back to the boat. It sure would have been nice if it would have stayed in failure mode.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Regarding the comments about possible water damage to the switch, I have a possible idea to limit that in the future.
Does the boat already have some sort of hinged or similar rain-and-spray cover for this panel?
I built one for ours, with a fabric cover for when the boat is at the dock.
Two related projects; just click on each link.

So far, so good. :)

Sidebar: friend of mine used to say that each project should justify one new tool (!), and yours should now deserve a jetted hot tub!!

Jul 23, 2009
Fast - It does not have a cover for the engine panel, other than the bimini. I though about adding one. though.
I'll check yours out. The links are currently not working, site appears down.
Thanks.

Apr 8, 2010
Fast - It does not have a cover for the engine panel, other than the bimini. I though about adding one. though.
I'll check yours out. The links are currently not working, site appears down.
Thanks.
Apologies. I forgot that the site is being upgraded, and that access was being stopped for everyone...
It should be back on line Monday am.
:(

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hear that Stu understands "Curling" but has trouble explaining it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I hear that Stu understands "Curling" but has trouble explaining it.
The ONLY thing I understand about it is that it is on the teevee. Other than that, I got nuttin'! :) I actually went to wikipedia and read the rules. Now I understand even less... Isn't it like mah jongg on ice?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The ONLY thing I understand about it is that it is on the teevee. Other than that, I got nuttin'! :) I actually went to wikipedia and read the rules. Now I understand even less... Isn't it like mah jongg on ice?
It is shuffle board on ice. My experience is there is beer involved but I haven't played since university.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I can't imagine how this thread came to Curling but it reminded me that I had a girlfriend (long ago), from Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Paulette was also a Curler and took me to a 'match'. There was beer, there was cigarette smoke, and there was curling.

I don't remember much of the curling, but I do remember Paulette.

Apr 8, 2010
Nothing wrong with your memory priorities!
Time Flies..... doesn't it?
:)