Diesel starts on its own! Boat needs an exorcism.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I was at the boat last night to do some cleaning and maintenance. I have declared war on "the boat smell." I have had a very small diesel leak for years and the toilet leaks a little on the floor too. As those of us with a diesel know, it only takes a small amount of diesel to stink up the boat. I tightened, probably over tightened, all the fuel fittings on the engine. I cleaned up a very small amount of fuel under the lift pump. I also removed the toilet so I could clean it and tighten all of the bolts. I think the discharge hose was a little loose causing a small leak.

I was putting all the tools away and cleaning up the mess that I made when I removed the toilet. It was raining outside BTW. Out of nowhere the engine starts cranking. I quickly reach for the battery switches and all the lights go off but it's too late, the engine is running at a nice low idle. I rush out to the cockpit and pull the fuel stop and the engine dies. I go back down into the dark boat and turn the batteries back on and pull I pulled engine cover off next to the starter. After about 10 seconds the engine starts cranking, I pulled the wire off of the solenoid and all is quiet.

I know what I'll be working on next time that I visit the boat.
My plan is to pull the starter relay and look both directions with a volt/ohm meter.
Seems to me the ignition/start switch is the most obvious culprit, then the wiring harness followed by the starter relay.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

I am grateful that it didn't happen when I was away from the boat or when I had my hands in the engine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A bit spooky.. Who knows... It may have gotten used to starting and stopping all on it's own and it was just showing off for you... Look skipper what i learned to do...

What about the ignition switch in the cockpit. Was it left on or depressed? Could the outside moisture have made a connection? It is about looking at the beginning of the process, for me. What are your steps when you start the engine?

Jul 23, 2009
John, the key wasn't even in the ignition. It's a twist to run, twist more to crank.

So many people have engines that won't start and I have one that starts all by its self.

Something else that's strange. The engine will run fine with the fuel valve off. I have twice motored for 20 - 25 minuets with the fuel valve off. At first I thought the valve was bad but when I changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the water/fuel separator it didn't leak a drop. The tank is well above the filter. I now suspect that the fuel is being drawn from the return line when the fuel valve on the feed line is turned off.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You most likely have a short in the wiring harness.

Doesn't matter what engine, but here are some examples:

Wiring Harness & FIRE Hazard - Strange starting/electrical problem WIRING HARNESS FIRE HAZARD [Ammeters and shunts are discussed here: Ammeters & Shunts 101

For a step-by-step see Replies #11 & 12, here::::

Engine Harness Upgrade

If you read the engine information on the WIKI you'll find a LOT of this material. Here: Diesel Engine - c34.org FIND and READ the original Seaward/Catalina Gerry Douglas article there. See Reply #21 on page 2 of this topic also, this:

Wiring Harness Upgrade

Here's another one. This is June 2010. For a 1988 boat!!!

Warn ya? Ha! Thanks to Bob for his report.

No Alt output leads to melted wiring harness

Ron has said, over and over again, that there are STILL boats out there who haven't done it. Battery Chargers, Safety, and a FlyBack Burnup

Even IF you have a voltmeter, you could still have the OLD stupid connectors.

What's your boat worth to you?

Here's another one, September 2010, 1987 boat: New (partial) Owner 2nd Wish WIRING HARNESS UPGRADE w/flix

And another followup: Wiring Harness Upgrade Notes

Thanks, Todd & Len.

From one of the many wiring harness links:

Of the many wiring harness references in the Knowledgebase this one is noted:

DO IT NOW.

On a repeated basis, both here and in my Secretary's Reports in Mainsheet, I have been noting that owners of older boats NEED to read the material. And then ACT on it.

I also believe at least an understanding of, and better yet an ability to repair, boat systems is essential to safety. I didn't know any of this stuff when we bought our boat, but I read the stuff, and I bought the tools, started working on things, skinned many knuckles and feel that I have a responsibility to me, my family and my guests to get them out and back safely. I know we all do, and some have differening abilities and interests. But the information availble to us on this website should make it no excuse for anyone to NOT repair those things that are obvious and begin to learn about the others. In the worst case, some $$ can be saved on yard bills by at least knowing more about the complicated machinery that our hulls surround.

From the May 1997 Tech Notes (by Ron Hill):

Engine Harness Upgrade – Do It NOW!
Our November ‘96 Mainsheet article on electrical systems really stirred up some
interest. Hank, Duane, and I have all received a number of requests for our electrical schematics. But, I still am hearing from people who have not made the engine harness upgrade. So much has been written and talked about that modification, I surely hope that nobody really wants all of the power from the alternator going direct to the key switch in the rear of the boat, then coming back to the battery selector switch, and finally (the few amps left) to the
batteries.
A few years ago Bill Beck, “Prosit”, hull #1186, had just anchored and took
their dog ashore in the dinghy. His wife, Dot, was on the boat by herself when all of a sudden the engine started itself. She tried to shut the engine off but it kept restarting. Dot dove overboard to get off that “crazy” boat. One of the harness connectors had shorted out keeping the starter engaged.
Fortunately the starter burned out before it started a fire. Bill had NOT modified any of his C-34 electrical components and had NOT upgraded the harness.
In the spring of 1991, I installed my high dual output alternator (each output
goes to a battery bank bypassing the battery selector switch). I had the engine
harness upgrade but had not installed it. I did, however, take the harness connector at the engine apart, inspected the terminals, and disconnected the old alternator lead to that connector. Everything looked good so I rewrapped and wire tied the connector. I thought the upgrade installation could wait as only low amperage would be passing through the connector. The next spring I added Bob Bierly’s (C’Mon Wind, hull 913) VHF radio modification in the cockpit (Mainsheet article May 1995). Had to take out the engine instrument panel anyway so decided to do the half of the engine harness upgrade at that end. Maybe a month later I got around to the other half of the modification at the engine. To my surprise, when I took the connector apart, the side with the male pins crumbled in my hand.
If you haven’t made the engine harness upgrade, you may want to reconsider.

There's also Maine Sail's write-ups: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=135558 and Universal Diesel Wiring Harness Upgrade by Compass Marine How To

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
This is what happens when you don't give your boat a name. Without a proper name the evil spirits just move right in and start taking over.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Sounds like material for a sailing-related plot twist in a Futurama episode!!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Given the weather we've been having this week, evil spirits are likely lurking about causing water to drip or condense on the key switch. If not there, somewhere else in the system. Look for moisture and water stains around the connections.

If that doesn't work, call the folks who write the TV show, EVIL, they may be interested. ;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
And that's why I call it electrickery on a boat. Any boat, up to and including the freighters I've operated.

Jul 23, 2009
Stu, thanks for all the info. I think I have read most of those articles already. I'll be giving the wiring harness a good looking over for sure. I'll probably wait until the weather improves though. It was getting cold and it was raining or I would have taken a look at it immediately.
FWIW the alternator output runs directly to the starter, not to an amp meter like some of the Catalinas.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
'll probably wait until the weather improves though. It was getting cold and it was raining or I would have taken a look at it immediately.
Does that make sense if the engine can start all on its own?

FWIW the alternator output runs directly to the starter, not to an amp meter like some of the Catalinas.
That part is immaterial to your issue. It was a stupid design idea, or lack of one, running power through a small wire for a long distance. Not only Catalina, they all did it.

But the "wiring harness" remains a problem, because of the CONNECTORS.

What part of FIRE HAZARD did ya miss? :banghead: So, go put some long johns on.:banghead:

WHAT IS YOUR BOAT WORTH TO YOU?:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Excuse my attitude, it is, after all, your boat., But I've been warning people about this sh*t for 21 years and they still ignore it. I know you're not ignoring it, just putting it off, but really? It was 69F in Baltmore last night for the football game. Too cold?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What... :yikes: Stu... your watching American Football? :yikes: Oh the horror.

I thought once you moved north your TV only showed Hockey or curling...:laugh:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There are some horror stories (most true) of the "start" pushbutton on Yanmars shorting from corrosion .. if the battery switch is left "on", and no one on board.. the engine would crank and the starter would continue to run until it burns up.. some burned the boat up, most didn't.. That little rubber boot over the pushbutton is important..

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Less said about Baltimore the better. Sunny day, sour mood prevails! At least I got some chainsaw work caught up!
20200112_132024.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Stu- this should answer most of your questions.

Yesterday we didn't even get above freezing and today I went to look at 41ft power boat. I'm just not ready to go to the dark side yet.

When I left my boat I unplugged the starter solenoid & turned the power off. It should be safe!

I'll look at the wiring harness soon. I have looked at it before and I did not see anything that concerned me, but I have not pulled the engine panel yet.

About $14,000.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
What would make this really spooky would be if your engine requires a glow plug for say 15 seconds or so....