Diesel Fuel

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Can any of you experts out there tell me the deference between the diesel fuel at the marina fuel dock and the fuel at the gas station? The fuel at the dock is pink and the fuel at the gas station is clear. Can I use either in my Yanmar?

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
They may be using furnace fuel instead of diesel, it's pink,useable cheaper to buy, but definitely not as clean!

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
The fuel at a fuel dock is dyed pink as it's for off road use and therefor no road tax has been paid. It's dyed it so they (the government) can inspect truckers' fuel tanks to make sure they are not avoiding tax. Some marine fuel dock have additives in their fuel to compensate for the ultra low sulfur fuel which I have read is not so good for the valves in older engines.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One local marina gets its diesel from a home heating company - at least that's what the truck says.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Yes, Full Circle, there could be several differences.
The most noteably would be the sulfur content. The short answer is you probably wouldn't notice any effects from the little differences you would encounter. There has been numerous discussions of seal issues with the lowering of the sulfur content and higher grade oils required. But again, my opinion is there wouldn't be enough of a difference that most people would notice.
The other is winter additives. Gas stations automatically change their blends according to the seasons. When I buy dyed diesel for the farm, I have to specify if I want the winter blend or the summer blend.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Thank you all. Great information. I was planning on using the gas station fuel to prime the filters ( fill the bowl) when changing the elements. It seams like it will not be an issue. Thanks again!

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I've been running gas station diesel in the Universal for 7 years, 300 hours. No issues nor have I ever heard of others'. Although I'd be curious to hear from an expert.

It's odd that the boat fuel dock is $1.00 or so more per gallon, yet they apparently pay less taxes according to this thread.
And it might be cheaper to run a dock than a half acre of prime, corner real estate for a gas station.
And you might think oh the gas station has higher volume. Not in our harbor where there's one fuel dock and 2,500 boats, with all season boating. And most of these boats take high volumes of fuel. Albeit used less than cars, but with the volumes, monopoly, and large customer base, I'd wager they outperform a local gas station in sales.
Sorry, bashing the ripoff "marine" industry again. :)

Although I buy the gas for the dinghy at the fuel dock, since they have Valvetech additives to keep the gas fresh longer. It's only about a gallon a year for the little 2.5 horse outboard.
I put my own additive in the diesel. Startron I think is the name.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Skipper
You might want to refrain from advertising what fuel you are using in your "off road vehicle" as you just admitted to committing a crime. Specifically, using highway fuel in an off road vehicle.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Hey Skipper
You might want to refrain from advertising what fuel you are using in your "off road vehicle" as you just admitted to committing a crime. Specifically, using highway fuel in an off road vehicle.
:biggrin:
I feel guilty.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Full Circle 473 Washington has all sorts of sales taxes.... Here is the info on the color issue from the Department of Revenuers.

https://dor.wa.gov/get-form-or-publication/publications-subject/tax-topics/marina-fuel-sales
Selling fuel and the application of retail sales tax :kick:
Sales of fuel to consumers at marinas are sold in two ways: clear and dyed.
  • Clear gasoline and diesel are sold where the state fuel taxes have already been imposed and are included in the price. Retail sales tax does not apply to the sales of the fuel.
  • Dyed gasoline and diesel are sold without the state fuel taxes imposed. Retail sales tax applies to the sales of the fuel. In calculating the amount of retail sales tax due, the selling price is considered the amount received including any state and/or federal per gallon taxes included in the price.
Fuel tax refunds :laugh::banghead:
Consumers may seek a refund of the motor vehicle fuel tax or special fuel tax paid and used as a boater from the Department of Licensing (DOL).​

Yeah right...:beer:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Actually, lots of boaters have gotten some of their fuel tax money back for decades... but given the record keeping needed and some reimbursement paperwork, it likely pencils out best for higher-volume purchasers than us sailboaters buying 8 gallons at a time. :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Hey Skipper
Am I confused? I would think the crime would be using off-road fuel (no tax paid) in a highway vehicle. Why else would the dye be added to off-road fuel? If the authorities open up the fuel tank on an 18-wheeler (or your diesel Mercedes) and see pink, that's prima facie evidence of a crime. I don't see how the reverse would be a crime.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Didn't this 2 tier system come about because high volume users of diesel such as fishing boats, ferries, tugs and other commercial operators didn't want to pay "Highway Use Taxes." I was under the impression that when we buy diesel at our marinas, it's supposed to be the clear which we pay sales tax for. The commercial guys get to buy the dyed. So I'm confused too. I know that I have bought dyed fuel because of incidental spills.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here on the Left- West coast... they like to tax everything they can, to cover the highway system costs. They can not tax (by law, for now) apply highway taxes to fuel used to heat homes or marine use. Since Commercial truckers travel multiple states they also get a pass at the pump. They have to log miles in state then pay a tax based on the mileage traveled.

Colored (dyed) diesel has not been charged the highway tax. Clear diesel has been charged highway tax. If your pulled over by the Revenuers and they dip a white test strip into your car tank and it comes up pink/orange they got you. It is supposed to come out white.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
@Skipper
So do I but I avert my vision at the appropriate time so I don't feel very guilty. I find refueling in the dark also helps keep my feelings from getting hurt. I find that having the admiral give me a back rub helps. thinking about installing a "safe space" in the dingy and putting my comfort peacock in it.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Am I confused? I would think the crime would be using off-road fuel (no tax paid) in a highway vehicle. Why else would the dye be added to off-road fuel? If the authorities open up the fuel tank on an 18-wheeler (or your diesel Mercedes) and see pink, that's prima facie evidence of a crime. I don't see how the reverse would be a crime.
Yes, he has it backwards (coming from someone who made up the dye packs). Often we would add dye to fuel if the tax status was uncertain to avoid mistakes (certain industrial grades are not dyed and not taxed, which can be confusing).

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
The better diesel to buy would be from a marina that has biosides added as the diesel will grow bateria which will coagulate like jello. This jello can clog the pick-up tube in the tank before the fuel even reaches the filters.