Did I "steer clear" of a great opportunity?

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
At the present time, I am looking to replacement my beaten up Pearson with something newer and shinier; big enough to go away with my wife for a week, and small enough to take out myself for an afternoon sail. At my marina, there was a 2003 Catalina 28MK2 which was restored extensively after Hurricane Sandy. The Hull and interior looked immaculate and the mast, rigging, and sails were replaced. However, the restorer cut one corner. The rudder post was bent slightly and he straightened it out, rather than spending 2K for a brand new rudder. I called Catalina customer service and they said it should have been replaced. He is asking $42,000.00 for the boat. Should I walk away from the deal or try to negotiate for a new rudder? I am inclosing a picture.

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Sounds like you have enough of a budget to have plenty of boats to choose from. Storm damaged boats that have been restored may be fine. Depends on who did the restoration. Searching for your perfect boat is half the fun anyway.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Generally speaking the the 28mkII is a decent boat. Tons of room. Some thoughts on your situation:

1) I think it would be harder than many 28 footers to single hand. The cabintop traveler is a MILE away from the helm, as are the genoa winches. And it has a wheel. That is the enemy of all serious single handers.

2) I personally would not buy a boat from someone that flips storm boats. For just the reasons you found. They cut corners, and have every incentive to do so. They will NEVER sail a boat they've done that to. Buying one from a owner who did (or supervised) the work; different story.

3) 28 feet is an awkward length, boat wise. I run in to very few people that own 28 footers that do not wish they went a BIT longer, unless there is a compelling reason not to have (like slip or mooring limits). It has all of the complexity and cost of a 30-32 footer, but not nearly the room. No easier to single hand, either.

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
I have the same boat (wing keel) which I bought for specific reasons:
Can get out all year even with low winter tides
It’s really the biggest boat I could put on my lift 10,000 lbs limit.

I have no problem single handing… very easy in my opinion…. Yes I would love something bigger but this boat seems to do it all….. and fits my situation nicely….. When I get to the point where I can be gone for 6 months or more I will be seriously looking for 34-36 ft. for the added convenience and benefit of all that additional storage space……Thats the one thing i would like more of, storage space...... Happy sailing..

Nov 24, 2014
Generally speaking the the 28mkII is a decent boat. Tons of room. Some thoughts on your situation:

1) I think it would be harder than many 28 footers to single hand. The cabintop traveler is a MILE away from the helm, as are the genoa winches. And it has a wheel. That is the enemy of all serious single handers.

2) I personally would not buy a boat from someone that flips storm boats. For just the reasons you found. They cut corners, and have every incentive to do so. They will NEVER sail a boat they've done that to. Buying one from a owner who did (or supervised) the work; different story.

3) 28 feet is an awkward length, boat wise. I run in to very few people that own 28 footers that do not wish they went a BIT longer, unless there is a compelling reason not to have (like slip or mooring limits). It has all of the complexity and cost of a 30-32 footer, but not nearly the room. No easier to single hand, either.
I See your point about the length. Kind of like a mid calf length skirt; neither short and sexy or floor length and elegant

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I personally think 28.5 feet is just about the perfect length boat (smile) to single hand on just about any body of coastal or lake waters. With a wheel, mainsail sheet near at hand, and self-tailing winches, these boat are a breeze (!) to sail. They are certainly big enough for you and your wife to cruise on for a week or more. But if you are taking children or other guests, a bigger boat would be best.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If I were to choose between the 28mkii and the 320, I'd take the 320. The extra few inches in all the right places make the 320 a much better choice. The layouts are almost identical, but you don't have to turn sideways to get into the back berth of the 320, nor does the steering gear cover hit you in the side when you roll over. That's two examples, and those are even worse in the 270.
I agree with jackdaw in the placement of the winches, that's why they made enough room on the coamings. For more winches. (One can never have enough toys)
Cheers
Gary

Feb 9, 2010
Undecided 30' Something Oyster Bay, NY
Even though it looks good on the surface, Sandy did a number on everything from boats to houses. My biggest concern would be what can't you see....mold!

I would walk away from it even if the rudder HAD been replaced.

Nov 24, 2014
Even though it looks good on the surface, Sandy did a number on everything from boats to houses. My biggest concern would be what can't you see....mold!

I would walk away from it even if the rudder HAD been replaced.
Looks like I did right by doing the "Dionne Warwick" on this boat

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I agree with the other fellas, A rudder post is an absolutely crucial part of the boat, If it later cracks from stress from being bent back into position, it could fail & sink the boat at any time. I also agree that a boat flipper is trying to make a profit, not make the boat as good as it could or should be.
As far as a 28 foot size of boat, we also used to own an S2 - 28 foot yacht. While she sailed & performed great, I also agree that they are a little tight in the cabin, & the C 30 generally kicks the ass of every other 28 - 32 foot boat out there for space accommodations in the cabin. The C 30 is simply unbeatable for cabin space.
But I would not want to single hand a 28 or 30 foot boat. Unless you have all lines lead aft, you really need a 2nd crew member to raise the main sail, while the helmsman keeps the boat facing into the wind, unless you have a newer boat with a furling main sail. Docking a larger boat like these in a standard, tight slip requires enough concentration from the helmsman, without running around the deck trying to tie up the boat without banging the hull into a piling.
This is where another crew member really comes in handy, literally. Besides when you buy a nice sail boat, you really shouldn't have any trouble getting volunteers to come out & assist you for the privilege of sailing on a nice boat!