delivery planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
hey guys, got good news this morning that my blind offer has been accepted for a 1978 hunter 33 in mandeville louisiana, my big question is how long should it take to bring the boat back to pensacola, and how long will it take to get to perdido bay. barring any problems once we get to inspect the vessel we will be heading out of mandeville by noon on friday hopefully aiming for getting into perdido bay by noon on saturday. all help appreciated.

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
My very rough estimate is that it is about 140 nautical miles from Mandeville to ther pass at Orange Beach. You can also expect the wind to be against you at first (from the east on Friday) but changing to the west on Saturday with a chance of thunderstorms.
You should probably plan for this to take 2-days (especially if you are going to go the additional 20 miles to Bayou Chico).

Out of curiosity, you said it was a blind offer. Do you know if the motor is running well and what shape the sails are in?

Mar 6, 2012
i am pre-approved for more than the buying cost (extra cash for delivery and paperwork fees) if the broker has been honest (if he hasn't he will not like my visit at all) then this is supposed to be the floor model boat from the Huston boat show 1978 when he delivered it to mandeville for the original owner, he then managed the sale to the current owner who has supposedly maintained it for 10 years in perfect preserved condition, all systems reported as functional everything in good shape, sailed on ponchatrain and anchored without incident during storms.

Mar 6, 2012
oh, and we will be continuing on to bayou chico, im trying to feel out if a friday departure is possible to pass through perdido bay before noon, ive got a friend that asked me to crew for the lost bay regatta, but understands that this delivery is a priority, sounds like we will likely just have to pace ourselves and make it to chico without bothering to target the race.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
rufus1138,

Don't leave for a voyage on a Friday!

Just saying.... ;-)

Greg

Mar 6, 2012
forgot about that, blessing in disguise, i wont be able to get friday totally off from work so i will be leaving pensacola to go see the boat on friday and not likely to leave the dock in mandeville till saturday morning.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Mandeville to Pcola

I think you are being optimistic on time. You can possibly make Perdido Key, in 24 hours run time, but you would have to absolutely fly. Basically no one in a sailboat runs the ICW at night through there. Many places where the markers are scarce, and lots of skinny water. If you want to make it fast, and plan on running at night, I would recommend heading offshore through the Gulfport channel, and heading straight for Pensacola. Would be a pretty nice trip this time of year. Even doing this, I don't believe you can leave Mandeville in the morning, and make the Gulfport channel before dark. And I can assure you, the lake is full of crab traps, which you cannot possibly see at night. If time constraints make it necessary to make the run after dark, and in the ICW, be damn sure you have an accurate, dependable chart plotter. I have made this same trip literally hundreds of times, both inshore and off. I would not even consider making it in the ICW without a good chart plotter. Send me a PM if you want some more detailed info.

May 11, 2005
Just looked again

That boat is I believe one of the Cherubini Hunters. I am reasonably familiar with that boat, and I can tell you, they are super good boats, and sail well, but under power it is not fast. If memory serves, the best you can hope for is around 5 knots when motoring. And if you are planning on running the ICW at night, plan on very little if any breeze.

Mar 6, 2012
ive gotta get more info, now things are getting screwed up with my schedule because of the government shutdown (i work for a contractor under a training wing at nas pensacola) and the broker as well as the owner has a limited understanding about how the money is going to work here, its a pre-approved boat loan through navy federal credit union, all the broker has to do is call the number on the back of the bank check and get the code then we both endorse it and submit it to his bank then boom the money is there. but he wants to wait till the check clears, so i dont know how this is going to work out but we will see, i want the boat badly and i think its going to be a good deal, just gotta work with the distance.

also as far as the delivery i have a good friend coming with me that is very familiar and a master yachstman, leroy macmillan jr.

May 11, 2005
Crab traps

You will need to leave at the crack of dawn, to make it to the Rigolets before dark, and avoid the crab traps. Once that far you will be pretty safe from them. When you make the turn up into the Marianna channel over by Cat Island, do not cut that corner as the last time I went through there, immediately inside that corner was loaded with crab traps. Be sure to stay in the channel there. Real skinny water on both sides of the Marianna channel. Once past that it's pretty easy going the rest of the way. You can go straight across the spoil banks in both the Gulfport channel and in Mobile Bay. In Mobile bay, when you approach the Dauphin Island Bridge again be very careful. Very shallow water on both sides. Go straight across Mobile Bay. You don't need to follow the ICW on the southerly leg. After that your home free. Unless you go way out of your way, there is no fuel available through there. There is fuel available in Slidell, but thats the last stop. First place for fuel is at Lulu's. There is fuel available in Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi among other places, but is quite a bit out of the way. Good charts will be a necessity.

Mar 6, 2012
thanks easy, ill make sure we bring plenty of fuel, but im sure a tank full will get us home in the 33, we will likely sail most of the way unless the breeze is directly on the nose. just talked to the broker again and he is very helpful with things being like they are due to the government slimdown bs. hopefully the boat checks out and we will be on our way.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Easy is right on. Another place where ya have to watch is the Northshore Channel just east of the I-10 bridge . don't hug the markers as the deeper water is north of the markers (shoreward) there.. Going inside on the ICW all the way is about 165 miles .. going outside at the Cat Island Channel is only 5-6 miles longer, but if you have good sailing wind, that would be faster. The pass at Perdido is tricky because of a dog-leg to the high bridge span, and shifting shoals, and currents that can get high.. I wouldn't do it unless ya have some local knowledge aboard. going to be at least 37-38 hours en-route. Check out 97L before making any plans, though
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2013/Invest-97L?map=ensmodel&MR=1

Mar 6, 2012
yeah i have enough local knowledge to know that im either going through the land cut or all the way to pensacola pass, im not taking perdido pass in a cruising sailboat. whats 97L.

Mar 6, 2012
oh lol i havent checked on that yet thanks for the heads up.

just checked national hurricane center, we will know more later this week obviously but this has already happened a few times this season, unlikely that it will become a threat.

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
Here is the forecast:

Valid: 03:00 PM CDT Tuesday October 01, 2013

Current Location: 16.5N / 81.5W
Geographic Reference: 165 NM south-southwest of Grand Cayman
Movement: Northwest near 7 kts
Organizational trend: Increasing slightly
Chance of Development Within 48 hours: 25 percent
Chance of Development Beyond 48 hours: 40 percent
Changes From Our Previous Forecast
We have increased the chance of development slightly to 25 percent through 48 hours and to 40 percent through 120 hours.
Our Forecast
Disturbance 58 continues moving to the northwest. This motion should continue for about 48 more hours. This should take the system across the Yucatan late tomorrow and early Thursday and then into the Gulf. Thereafter, a more northward motion is likely. Our forecast still takes the system to the northern Gulf Coast by late Saturday.
The disturbance has become a little better organized. The broad low level circulation is slightly better defined. However, the squalls associated with the system remain disorganized. In addition, the system will likely encounter wind shear in the Gulf fo Mexico. Therefore, despite a little more model support for development, we are only increasing the development chances slightly at this time. It is still more likely than not that the system remains a disturbance.
Expected Impacts Onshore
Jamaica and Cayman Islands: Heavy rainfall is likely to continue through tomorrow. Additional accumulations of 2 to 4 inches are possible.
Yucatan: Heavy rain will be possible tomorrow and Thursday. Accumulations of 2 to 4 inches are possible. No major flooding is likely.
Northern Gulf Coast: Squalls associated with the disturbance are likely to impact the area on Saturday.
Expected Impacts Offshore
Eastern and Central Gulf of Mexico: Squalls are likely to affect the eastern and central Gulf late Thursday through late Saturday. The squalls could produce wind gusts to 45 kts. Most squalls should remain east of 90W.
The next advisory will be issued by 9 PM CDT.

Lat.
16.50N

Lon.
81.50W

Max Sustained Winds

Category

25 kts

Tropical Disturbance

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Rufus

You can't depend on sailing all the way. The barrier islands have a tendancy to make the winds kind of fluky. On the other side of Mobile Bay, your just in a ditch, and no room to tack at all. A friend of mine lost a main in there last year, when a little thunderstorm kicked up, and he had no room to manuever, and couldn't get the sail down.

Mar 6, 2012
that sounds like a fun time for sure easy, im familiar with the route on the florida side of mobile bay, and ur exactly right, that area is not a place for sails to be up at all, no room for anything to go wrong, we have cancelled the delivery due to the tropical low, its just too high of a chance that things could get out of hand with a new vessel, leroy could make it single handed im sure but it still wouldnt be fun, we will be aiming for the 18th of this month at the latest. hopefully a weather and time window will come together soon. it just sucks that our only option for the delivery is weekends.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I made the reverse trip last June from Bayou Chico to Mandeville. We stayed inside the ICW and had little trouble. I took the advice of staying out of there at night. We made several short hops and stayed at marinas with hookups except at Dauphin Island. I wanted to get a little familiar with as many of the marinas as was practical for future trips back. I had mostly inexperienced crew so made very conservative short hops of 30 miles or so. I took 5 days and the last was from Gulfport harbor to Mandeville. It was about 11 hours including some course modification to allow a thunderstorm to cross ahead of us near Lacombe.

First day was 28 miles to LuLu's. mostly motored due to narrow channel, but sailed some in Pensacola Bay and Big Lagoon. We had a flyover of 2 Navy Blue Angel jets when crossing the end of the runway entering Big Lagoon- awesome start to new adventure.
Next day was mostly motoring across an angry Mobile Bay straight into the chop. I was worried about the female crew ( crew was my wife and another couple) -they had a blast riding on the bow. At one point, they were below in a good 3' chop, making and eating lunch. Even with the rough seas, it was a short and easy trek of a little over 20 miles. I would have liked to have gone further, but it was another 40-50 to Biloxi. I'd probably go all the way next time. We stayed at the pub on the western side of the bridge at Dauphin Island. Nice folks there, but no hookups or other facilities-besides the bar and a restaurant. We stayed at a hotel. Nice marina on Dauphin Island, just no deep approach. I draw 5'3".
We were going to make a short hop from Biloxi to Pass Christian, just because that seemed like the closest marina within reason to make a final leg home from. A storm forced us into Gulfport and we decided to just stay there until morning.
Finally the west wind swing around to the south and we made about 5-6 knots to the Rigolets. I left around 8am and pulled in to Mandeville around 6-7pm. I should have left earlier to avoid the inevitable afternoon t-storms.
We had such a good time and was planning on a long weekend this week over to Ms, but storm changed that. Good luck on your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.