Delamination

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter 260 Mill Harbor Yacht Club
I own a 2000 Hunter 260. I've had the boat for just 3 years and have fitted new sails rigging and many upgrades and we do sail the boat which the previous owner did not, using it as a weekend glamping boat. We like to get the "Windows wet" but don't sail her in anything over 15 knots, she is a cruiser after all.
After a great sail today on our local "Payette" lake in Idaho, my wife lay down on slip at the marina to soak in the sun and suddenly shouted to me, "Holly crap, you better come see this!"
The front of the top deck under the fore stay/Furler is pulling off the hull. the top deck was raised a good 1/2 inch off the hull tapering back about 2 ft.
I slackened the shrouds a few turns on each side and when my wife stood on the top deck and it pushed back down YIKES!
I am a very practical guy and a design engineer, so very used to dealing with fabrication issues, but this feels like a huge problem.
It seems like the fore stay attachment bracket is connected to the top deck and not through the deck and to the hull, which is surprising to me.
But anyway, has anyone had this issue, is there a fix.. Help?
Thanks for any help.
Clive.
clive@culpanandcompany.com 208 703 2735

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Clive PC
First remove contact info from this thread only sharing through a private message. You do not know who is looking.

Take a photo or two and post here. Then send me a private message. I will comment but need to talk with a couple of friends on what to do.

Do not sail for now. FYI, there is no need to heel over 12-14 degrees. Period

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I don't have a 260, but recall a service bulletin on the early model 260's for this very problem at the bow. This is the only info I could find on it here:

You might check to see if this has been done to your boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It seems like the fore stay attachment bracket is connected to the top deck and not through the deck and to the hull, which is surprising to me.
Yea, me too! It appears from @caverun 's post that this is just the case. I confess I am appalled that Hunter would release a boat with such a fundamental flaw, such a basic engineering oversight. That forestay should be ttached to a chainplate that's well bolted to the hull. I recommend you do so. The "fix" of adding two bolts to keep the deck and hull together is not a proper solution, in my opinion. I'd also look at how the shrouds and the backstay are attached.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jviss

Before condemning the Hunter 260, there were a few this happened to but in mst cases were operator error. However , I directed the poster to someone that can help him. I cannot say why in this case what happened but again I referred him to those who cann help.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
but in mst cases were operator error.
That's utter nonsense, @Crazy Dave Condon . Now I know why you're called "Crazy" Dave. The fact that there's no chainplate for the forestay attached to the hull, that it's just bolted to the deck, and the deck pulls up - "operator error?" Holy cow. Talk about blaming the victim.

The design doesn't just suck, it's irresponsible.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Easy there, jviss. Crazy Dave has good knowledge, and like you, is very helpful. So between the two of you the OP can get good advise without attacking each other.:beer::beer:

Now, before we call someone crazy, even though that is his nom de plume :biggrin:, we have to ask several questions. Is this something that PO knew about and did nothing :yikes:? Was this a fluke from Hunter that Hunter was aware of and offered to fix? It could also be "operator error" if the PO or POs knew and got rid of the boat for this reason.

So a design flaw? Probably not, unless ALL H260s have this problem, then OK, I concede. An error during construction? Possibly. But either way, I would contact Hunter and see if there is something they can help you with to make this right.

Oh... and @Clive PC, welcome aboard!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jviss

I will say the respect earned from the owners of Beneteau, Catalina and hunter for my knowledge, experience as well as contributions far exceeds what many do not know about me.

I spoke with the poster and did not feel operator error. If I did, I would say so but there were some issues of operator error two of which not looking where they were going hitting a bridge in the past. However he was directed to a person who could help which far exceeds your knowledge.

When talking to those about boat issues, I first try to find out what caused the issue before assuming anything. It helps to know when repairing before jumping the gun. As for my nickname I used it for marketing and was considered a top dealer in the country with customers well known.

I did ask the poster to advise back on repairs and leave it at that None of the boats I sold never experieced that problem

I think it is best we wait till the poster responds back. It is for this very reason why I talk direct with some folks to get to the problem and advise or put in touch with those who know. It is up to the individual to decide what they will do.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Maybe I was too harsh; I apologize. But let's see where it goes. There's a service bulletin from Hunter, which is an implied admission that there's something about the design or assembly of the boat that requires correction. I would hope that anyone who has one of these models heeds it, and makes the correction, at least what Hunter themselves recommend.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
No need to apologize but will be adding a response on what I know but not many of these instances ever occurred but a few. I was never offended However I am Crazy at times which is funny for an old fart and at 70 still doing a cannonball into the pool yesterday was funny. Splashed the wife but got cheeed out still smiling