Deck Flooring in Cabin

scof25

Aug 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Quantico, VA
Hello all,

The deck flooring in my cabin is looking a bit rough from wear and after an unusually wet transit has lifted up in places. I suspect that the subflooring is a bit mangy from the water soak over the years and May be contributing to a bit of smell. Any advice on how to go about replacing it?

Feb 17, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lower Salford, PA / Tolchester,MD marina
I have had the same problem on my '79 Hunter 30'. I have now had the cabin sole ripped-up and down to the fiberglass for several seasons. I have looked at PlasTEAK (www.plasteak.com) which comes in a six foot width and is about $50.00 a running foot. They also have an underlayment vinyl padding to remove imperfections, but in a visit to Lumber Liquidator, I think I found something less expensive that looked very similar. The product is called Eco Silent Sound HD, which is made from old tires. The selling point to me is that both products can handle water and not come apart. My recommendation comes from looking at samples and not an installation. As soon as I decide to pony up the money, this is the direction I intend to follow.

Ian

s/v Meant to Be

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
If your not fixed on the traditional teak with ash strips found in many boats consider Solid vinyl flooring found in Home Depot. Waterproof and indestructible and not expensive. Remove the old floor panels and use them As a template. Make up sections and afix to the deck with daps of silicone. That way they can be removed later if you don't like it. If your interested pet me know and I'll snap some pics this weekend while I'm doing engine work in the yard over the COLD winter.

Jan 26, 2010
Hunter 27 Headland, Alabama
I too have just ripped out my cabin sole down to the fiberglass and plan to use an alternate flooring such as the solid vinyl or the eco-silent. I would be interested in seeing the pictures you spoke of. Thanks.
Greg

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Mine is down to the fiberglass too. I considered the Home Depot stuff but didn't want my boat to look like a camping trailer inside. I looked at Plasteak, Teakcarpet etc and all are too expensive. I want the teak and holly striped look. I am now considering painting the sole a cream color, apply 3/16" wide masking tape 3" apart down the entire length to keep the cream holly stripe. I would then use some Kiwigrip tinted to a teak color and apply using a smooth roller. Just pull up the tape and instant teak and holly. May look good...may not....just thinking.

Jan 26, 2010
Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea and if it doesn't turn out like you want, you could then glue something else over it.

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Floor with Home Depot Vinyl

I took this pic last fall... It shows the floor of the masin salon......I put this down about 3 seasons ago........I hope the pics is attached......

Attachments

Jan 26, 2010
Looks good Nelson. How is it holding up around the edges and on the seams? I'm guessing waterproof glue in addition to the adhesive that came on it...

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
It's holding up great! This is thick stuff maybe 3/8th inch thick. Each plank is about 6" wide and 3' long. There's a pre glued tab on 2 sides and an indent on the underside of each plank to accept the tab from abutting planks. What I did is take the old floor panel out assemble enough planks to make up the entire section. Then I put me old panel o top of he new and traced the shape. With a very sharp utility knife and a straight edge I cut out the shape and finished the curved edges with a belt sander. If you don't have the old
Panels you could use a paper template.

This worked great for the small panels. I should have made up the main cabin panel in 2 pieces to make carrying it in through the hatch easier. Was a little tricky coming up the ladder with that bi gfloor section in my hands and he bending it gently through he hatch way

My hunter has indents I the floor to accept the panels so he new flooring fits right in the recess. The bilge cover is right I the center of the floor and that was easy to cut out too. Although to still have to put in the lifting ring. Dabs of silicone under the panel about 6 inched apart keep the panels in place. The panel in the shower area did come loose. I lifted it out, cleaned the backside and deck with glass gleaner and dry paper towel an reapplied he silicone. Fixed!

Not exactly nautical but it was an easy fix and Sand, diesel, sunscreen, beer, tar, paint and oil don seem to effect the floor !

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
How much are you looking to spend, and what size piece of flooring do you need and how thick?

Apr 11, 2009
Hunter 31 Thunder Bay
I used a marine ply with a cherry face veneer. A router for the grooves and then ripped some maple strips. Tapped it in and the a few coats of sealer.

Attachments

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I used a marine ply with a cherry face veneer. A router for the grooves and then ripped some maple strips. Tapped it in and the a few coats of sealer.
It's probably a whole lot cheaper, and looks just as nice. Great job!!

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Lonseal is the faux teak decking that Catalina uses....durable and you can't tell the difference ftom real. I love it.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Avoid household products, period

I've said this before and I'll say it again here for those who aren't perusing the archives. As a seasoned boatbuilder I would avoid ALL home-use construction materials for boats, especially when it comes to the cabin sole. Application of household vinyl flooring or wood-block parquet, especially when done with household flooring cement, is, in short, a recipe for a rotten cabin sole. Unless the finished sole material (the teak) is bonded securely to the substrata (the plywood) with marine-grade laminating epoxy, the two are likely to become separated and admit water. Then, beyond your view, the sole will rot.

In my experience the number-one reason for rotten cabin soles in otherwise properly-maintained boats is that the carpet or other flooring material was allowed to trap water between the finished surface and the substrata. Happened to my boat-- that's why the guy sold it to me for less than what a new Vox amplifier would cost.

Boatbuilding conventions, such as limber holes, air circulation, epoxy glues, finishes, wood types and cabinetry joinery, are the way they are for a reason, and that reason is not to impose excessive cost that frustrates engineers and home handymen who have experience in unrelated realms. Boats are built the way they are by people who know how to build them because these conventions have been shown to be durable, seaworthy, safe and strong. I strongly advise people undertaking boat work on their own to learn about and emulate as closely as possible what was originally done by the original boatbuilders and to NOT seek 'cost-effective improvements' amongst more familiar products available at HoDePo. Please.

BTW-- a boat loses market resale value every time its owner does something to it that's less seaworthy than how it was built. I've seen this countless times-- the least salable boat is the one most heavily 'improved' by an uninformed, though enthusiastic, owner. Do it for the good of your poor boat. Please.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
For about $200 you should be able to get a sheet of 1/4" teak and holly ply. One 4x8 sheet did my 1983 H30

kito

Sep 13, 2012
For about $200 you should be able to get a sheet of 1/4" teak and holly ply. One 4x8 sheet did my 1983 H30
Please let me know where you got teak and holly plywood for only $200. I would also like to know how you used only one 4 x 8 sheet to do a H30. From port to starboard on my H30 is 45" wide. And it's wider from the galley to the nav station. From cabin steps to bulkhead it's a little over 8'.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Here's where I found the plywood for $198. http://marine-plywood.us/teakandholly.htm I bought mine locally a few years ago. On my 1983, the floor must be different, because I have a recessed area that is less than 4 feet wide and is a little less than 7 ft long. The recessed area is only 1/4" deep. and originally had teak and holly plywood in it. I wish I had a better picture, but I was taking pics of the cabin table so that I could make the other half. It wasn't in the boat when I bought it. If you look at the sole you can see how wide it is in the recessed area. You can also see that I had to run the teak and holly plywood the opposite direction in the head. I really didn't want to do it but I wasn't going to buy another whole sheet of plywood for a 1'x1.5' area. at first it bothered me, but I got used to it.

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I see....I don't have a recess in my floor like the 83's do. I wish I did. Thank you for the link. It's only $198 for the plywood but $100 to crate it plus $158 to ship. It would be cheaper to drive to Ohio and pick up. :)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
DIY flooring for less

Home depot 3/4" oak ply
3/4" aspen
1/4" router bit
jack plane
circular saw
table saw
can of teak stain
sort through the ply for a piece with straight grain that looks like teak
use the old floor as a template and cut out the new piece.
mark the places for the "holly" matching the old floor
route out 1/4"' groves for the aspen "holly" 1/4 deep
rip the holly 1/4" wide by 3/4" deep
stain the oak plywood avoiding the groves
glue the aspen in the groves, it will stick up 1/2"
after the glue dries hand plane the aspen down to the level just above the plywood
finish with water proof sealer of your choice

The new section is in the sun on the right.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I see....I don't have a recess in my floor like the 83's do. I wish I did. Thank you for the link. It's only $198 for the plywood but $100 to crate it plus $158 to ship. It would be cheaper to drive to Ohio and pick up. :)
where is Clemens is that in south carolina......if so how far are you from Anderson sc......

regards

woody