Decision? No, wait, this is a decision. No….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
WOLC - the oil leak channel

I buy my oil in the 5 quart jug and put back into the quart containers. Saves a few bucks.

Do not go to a young neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. They will want the big bucks of a surgery.

Pick a retired guy to advise you. He is not going back into the O.R.

You will probably want both a cat scan and MRI.

But before you choose those paths, try a physical therapist and stretching exercises. As you get older, simple strains and such take much longer to recover. In fact mild exercise for six weeks might just begin to show improvement.

Think heated swimming pool and dog paddle twice a day ... no competition laps.

Ed K

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If we are talking "cures"
I have discovered that if you stop saying what you don't want to have happen and start saying what you do things tend to go toward the what you’re saying side of the argument.
Had a bad back for 20 years after a hay bailing incident. While sitting in an Amway (long story, don't ask) motivational meeting the guy on stage suggested that we stop saying what we don't want to have happen and start saying what we do want to have happen. Being just dumb enough to try anything once, I proceeded to test his theory on my back. What did I have to lose except the pain. Well I started saying "man my back feels great" and stuff like that and immediately got the "liar, liar, pants on fire” from the me that actually has a brain. This went on for about a week and the other me gave up and the pain has only occasionally returned. Usually when I overdo it and would expect my back to normally complain.
This has a Biblical aspect to it as “And God said, let there be…., and it was so” he spoke it into existence. And then in the Psalms he said “did I not say ye are Gods?”

All I can say is it worked for me. What do you have to lose?
I would note that you have to actually say the words out loud and not just think them.
FWIW

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

All I can say is it worked for me. What do you have to lose?
I would note that you have to actually say the words out loud and not just think them.
FWIW

Bill, does this require a mirror, or can you just do it stumbling about? :naughty:

Actually, I had something like that experience many, many years ago on my first trip to California when I was living in NYC. Amazing what simple approaches can do for your mental stability

As Ron 2034 already knows, my wife says I've lost all that good stuff (and gave me Sailing for Dummies for a holiday gift!), but I'll keep trying...:)

Jun 6, 2006
I never used a mirror but it might imporve the result. kinda hard to "not believe" when it is your own face telling you something.

As most of us young at heart folks have already heard:

I think it can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I t h i n k I c a n, I k n e w I c o u l d, I knew I could, I knew i could, I knew I could......
From "The little train that could"

Jun 6, 2006
that last one did not survive the posting process and space removal engine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I hear your concerns about single handling through streches of open water but unlike an airplane the boat will still float with the engine out. You are correct about oil pressure being produced by the oil pump but some of us are talking about cranckcase pressure being produced by combustion gases leaking through the piston rings. This pressure is enhanced when the oil is too thin for the ring gaps and if allowed to build up and not vent can easily push thinned oil through seals and gaskets that would otherwise hold fine. As you probably know oil is a major component in helping maintain an engine's operating temperature. Once you loose a certain amount of oil the added temperature reduces viscosity of the remaining oil and loss process through leaks and oil burning accelerates. What we are saying is that if you add a thicker grade of oil and monitor its level refilling as needed you may slow the process down to a manageable condition. The engine will continue to run as good as it may be running now. What happened the other day could have been a one time event perhaps because oil to thin was used or the level was not properly monitored. If you run the engine hard for an hour with no appreciable loss of oil you can get that boat home. Of course you are still going to see some oil dripping from the bell housing as some must remain from the other day and as the bell housing warms up it will drip down. We do not know what the result of today's outing is going to be, it could very well confirm the seal is shot and you need to haul out but give it a chance. Going through the expense and hassle of replacing a rear main seal that may still be good might provide a sense of security but just as perceived, no real significant increase in reliability. It is very hard to diagnose problems from far away without the benefit of testing and observing but we are trying to help by laying out ideas and options for your use. Hopefully today after the test run you should have your definite answer. We are there with you.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If that was my engine and I was confident that the rear oil seal was the problem I would get it fixed ASAP with minimum further running. You don't know if it will get worse (maybe suddenly) and as you said, it is going to cost about the same where ever you do it. I would have some hope that it could be done in the boat.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Ship John B

Well either tonight or in the A.M. we will get a technical report...

I second the comment that if it can be fixed reasonably fix it and flow north...

Third comment, Thank You Roger, for having current active thread based on truth and human spirit. I understand that you might be a "Liberal" but even libs can make a positive contribution to human discussions... Truthfully, again we all thank you for your threads.

Ed K

Addendum: "Desperation helps us to be fearless in overcoming extreme adversity and taking big risks. What do you think about that? Do you think it’s true, that desperation is a driving force behind a lot of successful people?" Steve Tobak

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Roger I'm heading north now and hope to be in your area in the next few weeks, I would be happy to help. Haveing the same engine I have studied factory manual looking at what would cause your problem but being a mechanic for 30 yrs I more hands on and haven't found anything that can't be fixed.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I would be happy to help.
It's fixed. See more recent posts. If you have the same engine, be sure the crankcase breather tube is fitted onto the nipple under the intake manifold just down stream from the air cleaner.

If you are a mechanic, you'll enjoy going through all the later threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.