Decal Renual

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why not for the car? I fail to see the difference and what does the 30' rule have to do with anything? Still a boat.
These things have a long history, only part of which I know. If you dig into the regulations that were posted earlier you will see that there are entry fees, aka custom fees, aka clearance fees for border crossings. If you book an international air flight and dig into the specifics of the fare, you will likely see a laundry list of fees for airport taxes, custom clearance fees and so forth. Sometimes as much as 100% of the airfare.

Most of the discussion in the relevant regs has to do with commercial traffic and passengers on commercial vessels. At some point in time it was decided that boats 30 foot and less were not likely to be engaged in commercial traffic across borders. However those above 30' might be so the user fee was imposed. A similar fee is imposed on ferry traffic, truck traffic, train traffic, commercial air traffic and so forth.

As I understand it, the fee is to pay for the labor and admin costs of having someone cross the border for commercial purposes. Boats under 30 feet are personal recreational vehicles, vessels over 30 feet could be and thus the fee. In some ways it could be seen as arbitrary, however, governments have to draw lines somewhere. For vessels that line appears to be 30 feet.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
however, governments have to draw lines somewhere
Hogwash. A 30' plus vessel is no more or less likely to be involved in commercial traffic than a vessel less than 30'. The commercial designation should be one of choice or selection by the owner/operator rather than an arbitrary speculative assignment. Government run amuck IMHO.

Jan 11, 2014
Hogwash. A 30' plus vessel is no more or less likely to be involved in commercial traffic than a vessel less than 30'. The commercial designation should be one of choice or selection by the owner/operator rather than an arbitrary speculative assignment. Government run amuck IMHO.
I won't dive in to the current politics of this, however, the customs rules have been long standing and likely date from well before recreational boats were 30 feet and larger.

Since the government is our government it is up to us to make the case that old rules should no longer apply or the rules need to be changed. But it is hard to get folks motivated for $27.50 a year and without pressure from the public the rules won't be changed.

Feb 14, 2017
Mainecat 38 Anacortes
Having just made a trip to Europe via Canada (coming and going), I must say that border controls are magnitudes less cumbersome than US customs entry. Fortunately, I also have NEXUS so actually re-entering the US from Canada was pretty painless as well. Doubtless, if one had a little 'past' history somewhere, things might have been different.

Jan 11, 2014
Having just made a trip to Europe via Canada (coming and going), I must say that border controls are magnitudes less cumbersome than US customs entry. Fortunately, I also have NEXUS so actually re-entering the US from Canada was pretty painless as well. Doubtless, if one had a little 'past' history somewhere, things might have been different.
The Nexus program is part of the trusted traveller program that gives several privileges with border crossing and dealing with TSA.

Travel between countries in the European Union is governed by the Schengen Agreement which allows unimpeded travel between cooperating countries, basically the EU. That agreement is one of the sticking points in Brexit as it applies to the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. When both countries were part of the EU there was free travel, something that helped to ease the tensions in Ireland. With Brexit that border may end up being guarded again, the debate in the UK and EU continues.

Feb 14, 2017
Mainecat 38 Anacortes
The Nexus program is part of the trusted traveller program that gives several privileges with border crossing and dealing with TSA.

Travel between countries in the European Union is governed by the Schengen Agreement which allows unimpeded travel between cooperating countries, basically the EU. That agreement is one of the sticking points in Brexit as it applies to the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. When both countries were part of the EU there was free travel, something that helped to ease the tensions in Ireland. With Brexit that border may end up being guarded again, the debate in the UK and EU continues.
Indeed the Schengen Agreement pretty much eliminates borders effectively within the EU. But coming into that area from Canada was also very easy. They may be checking the people/passport but there was almost NO evidence that there was any interest in luggage. Entering Canada from there was similarly easy with the only customs individual involved being the one who collected your electronic printout of your declaration. In every case, it was simply show the passport and pass. Unless one had a particular profile or shifty eyes, then they didn't appear to care. Big difference from my experiences with US customs over the years, in any case!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The key is to say renew decal -- not new decal - even tho they always send you a new one ---- then you get to pick the year.

Jan 11, 2014
Indeed the Schengen Agreement pretty much eliminates borders effectively within the EU. But coming into that area from Canada was also very easy. They may be checking the people/passport but there was almost NO evidence that there was any interest in luggage. Entering Canada from there was similarly easy with the only customs individual involved being the one who collected your electronic printout of your declaration. In every case, it was simply show the passport and pass. Unless one had a particular profile or shifty eyes, then they didn't appear to care. Big difference from my experiences with US customs over the years, in any case!
Last year we visited the UK. Returning to the US was extraordinarily easy at Newark. It was so quick we beat our luggage and almost everyone on the plane to the luggage carousel. The difference was the Nexus card which gave us entry to the Global Traveller program. We went to a kiosk, put our hand and passport on the screen, answered 4 or 5 questions and we were almost done. The kiosk printed out a receipt and our carry on baggage was inspected by going through an X-ray machine. Done in just a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile over in the regular line, there were long lines from the 2 planes that had just arrived.

Returning from Canada this summer we used the ROAM app. Cleared CBP while we were 10 miles off shore, as soon as I got a cell signal. No muss, no fuss.

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
This is the email I received:
Date: Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM
Subject: 2019 Decal/Transponder Renewal Reminder
To:

2019 Renewals are now available!

To complete the order online use our secure online ordering system DTOPS (Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System) at https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov.

Pre-printed renewal applications should be requested only if you are unable to complete the application via the DTOPS website. When requesting a renewal application from the help desk, please provide the following information depending on the conveyance type:

• Private Aircraft- tail number
  • Private Vessel (over 30 feet)- vessel name
  • Commercial Vehicle- VIN or license plate number

*NOTICE* DTOPS User Fees are increasing for both decals and transponders, effective 10/1/2018. All orders placed on or after this date will pay new fee amount.

*NOTICE* Expedited shipping does not mean expedited processing. Expedited processing is not available - all orders are processed first come first served. Processing time is 4 to 6 weeks during renewal season.

La elección para correo registrado para México ya no está disponible. Los engomados y las calcomanías se enviarían por correo normal de los Estados Unidos. Si necesita ayuda en español, mande un correo a decals@cbp.dhs.gov o llame a 317-298-1245, option 2.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
User Fee Decal and Transponder Program
Phone: 317-298-1245
Fax: 317-290-3219
decals@cbp.dhs.gov

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
seems the customs decal is up for renual. Price is up again this year. I went to the CBP site but it wasn’t clear if I was signing up for a 2018 or 2019 decal. Anyone already got a 2019 decal???

Les
The politicians say they haven't raised taxes, but I notice fees raised everywhere.

Ken

Jan 11, 2014
The politicians say they haven't raised taxes, but I notice fees raised everywhere.

Ken
Some fees are based on the actual cost of processing the documents by law. So when the cost of processing Decals and Documentation renewals goes up, the fee also increases automatically. With inflation running at little under 2% we can expect fees to increase as much. I am unsure about the time frame, whether the cost is determined every year or less frequently.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Ken Cross I called the CBP and they said to use the ROAM app when returning from North of the border in Pacific NW waters. They no longer need phone calls. That does not mean the person on the other end of the app won’t require you to stop at the nearest point of entry for a face to face discussion.

I think they can FaceTime you with the app. Haven’t tried it yet.

Dec 9, 2016
S2 35C Bay City, MI
We used the ROAM app for the first time this year coming back to the US through Lake Erie. Painless and very user friendly...faced the phone towards both my wife and my son, they stated their name....the agent welcomed us home and said we were clear. Quick and easy, worked wonderfully!

I do however, need this decal for this years cruising as we bought the 35 footer this year. Bummer!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
$28 and change. I just made the purchase. They said “Decal’s in the mail”. Hopefully the Christmas elves don’t find it and claim it for a toy boat.

Congrats @ojsdna744 on your new big boat.
“Bummer” sounds like an interesting name for a boat. Send a picture. There are a lot of snow bound members here, in need of a little reminder of the boating life.