Decal Renual

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
seems the customs decal is up for renual. Price is up again this year. I went to the CBP site but it wasn’t clear if I was signing up for a 2018 or 2019 decal. Anyone already got a 2019 decal???

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les... I think you need to wait for January. I think I heard that someone bought one late last year and received a 2017 decal. When he complained they said too bad. No refunds.
You really do not need it until you cross the border. It can be purchased from the CBP upon inspection.

I seam to remember I got a notice of renewal last year in December.
What is the new fee cost?

May 20, 2016
Twenty Eight and change was 25 so over 15% increase. Problem with getting it from the nice folks in the customs shack is you need to go to the customs shack —- like to avoid that

Les

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Make sure you're dealing with the US Gov't. There's a private broker with a name that sounds right and a cover letter that sounds right. They'll get you a decal but you would pay a lot more for it.

May 20, 2016
No this is a the real deal. And not documentation related. Just the border decal.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Seems to me they are good for a calendar year. When I cleared at Point Roberts this past season, the agent seemed somewhat indignant that I had not already purchased one. Always a puzzle to me that the decal is unnecessary if I drive across, but on a boat or plane, a different story. I'm waiting until next year to purchase mine once I determine that I'm crossing for sure. My heinie passing a nickel, you know.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Just got an email saying the decal is ready for 2019 renewal. Will probly do it in next month as I know we are going into upper desolation next yr. And ya, it has always burned my butt that I have to pay to come home...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@Terry Cox Thanks for that link. It lead me to another hard to find reference for cruising permits in the US.

Here's the link to the cruising permit section: §4.94

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Always a puzzle to me that the decal is unnecessary if I drive across, but on a boat or plane, a different story.
The fee is for the vessel. The CBP wants to keep track of larger vessels and commercial traffic. If you are under 30', no charge. You can use the SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System) for free https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-reminds-boaters-small-vessel-reporting-system
The expense of getting a bigger boat just goes up exponentially.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The fee is for the vessel. The CBP wants to keep track of larger vessels and commercial traffic. If you are under 30', no charge. You can use the SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System) for free https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-reminds-boaters-small-vessel-reporting-system
The expense of getting a bigger boat just goes up exponentially.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The SVRS is gone. It has been replaced by the ROAM app, available for iOS and Android.

No human contact required when clearing into the US with the app.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nation...-roam-app-will-replace-small-vessel-reporting

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
seems the customs decal is up for renual. Price is up again this year. I went to the CBP site but it wasn’t clear if I was signing up for a 2018 or 2019 decal. Anyone already got a 2019 decal???

Les
For those of us who do not cross boarders ... is CBP Canadian Boarder Police?