Dealing With an Overpowered Situation

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I said the TRAVELER itself does not effect twist and to focus on your 1st 3 words "it sure can". I'd like you to explain how a devise that moves horizontally and no matter what position you place your vang or boom and whatever else you consider "etc" can make an effect vertically at the top 1/3 of the sail. If you're saying the mainsheet, can effect twist then I agree because the mainsheet is the secondary twist sail trim control -- the boom vang is primary twist control but we're talking about the traveler. Anyway, that's not what you said. You said the traveler can effect twist so explain to me how the traveler effects twist? After you finish with that please explain what you mean by "changing the angle of your sheet" and what does the mainsheet (a separate sail trim control) have to do with the traveler?
Don, I am guilty, as are many others of skipping a few words when saying the traveller affects twist. A better statement would be that the traveller is a tool to allow the main sheet to control twist while retaining a desired angle of attack.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Here's my problem as I think more about the discussion -- when a topic comes up I tend to picture my own boat (a Catalina 30) and how sail trim works on boats above 30' that have ALL the sail trim control and 90% of the time I get away with it. I started out with a Mac 22 and a then a C25 before moving to the C30 but I rarely, if ever, think of the sail trim on those boats. When I reflected on the Mac & the C25 I realized what the folks were talking about -- kind of a embarrassing moment for me.
Additionally, over the years in talking to hundreds and hundreds of sailors, who would ask the same questions I've heard numerous times in so many different ways I almost couldn't figure out what they were asking but I did figure it out. I guess I'm getting "longer in the tooth" but I've got to remember to look at the broader picture of the question before jumping in with both feet and also check the type of boat they're sailing because the context of their question mostly centers around their boat. Pretty basis when you think about it and I'll do better next time.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pretty basis when you think about it and I'll do better next time.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Your question was perfectly fine. I grew up on a 56' three masted schooner that had no travelers. She didn't even have vangs in the beginning. They were later installations. Sometimes those devices become so ubiquitous that their rational gets lost.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have to re think this. Maybe jackdaw can help me out. Let's say I was closehauled with the traveler almost centered and only the twist that the sailmaker built into the sail and I was hit by a gust and to compensate and get the boat on it's feet I decided to drop the traveler and not touch the mainsheet. I'm trying to picture in my mind what would happen to the shape of the sail due to the mainsheet. Actually, since the mainsheet on my boat is attached to a car on the traveler I don't think it would have any effect but I'm not sure. With the curved track traveler I used to have it would have an effect because the traveler car is going downhill on the curve. Maybe the confusion is I'm not taking into account different traveler/mainsheet set ups. If the movement of the traveler caused pressure on the mainsheet it certainly would effect the shape of the sail.
Sorry I was out sailing last night and just am back at it. I think my post
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...rpowered-situation.193323/page-3#post-1483735
summed it up. Only the vang and the mainsheet actually ADJUST twist; they are the only controls that can adjust the distance between the head of the main and the clew. If one or both of them is fixed, then the traveler positions the mainsail's (with its set twist) angle of attack into the breeze.

When a puff hits, most often the best action is to change the AoA of the sailplan to match it, without changing twist. The two ways to do that are to 1) lower the traveler, or vang sheet and ease the main.

If the puff is too big or also comes as big lift, it is sometimes necessary to also at twist (dumping the top) to keep the boat on its feet.

All boats have differing setups and levels of adjustablility. The key is to listen and read and learn, but also to apply the theory presented into actionable steps on your own boat based on its capabilities.