Davis Tiller Tamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik V

Mar 14, 2012
Macgregor 25 Stony Point NY
I use a 5’ bungee attached to the stern rails with one wrap around the tiller. It lets you move the tiller off its set position with ease. The wrap lets you position the tiller anywhere you want it and yes it does get in the way but it is easy to work around. When not in use I just hang it form one of the stern rails. The only other down side is that I go through one bungee cord a year, the cover gets worn off at the tiller.

Erik

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I catch it when handling the motor. Also, I have a Mac 25, so I sit farther aft.

Jeff

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
Then your 25 must be built like mine where the cockpit is open all the way back to the transom. You can see on Cuscus's that his does not do that. I'd already noticed his being much different than mine inside the cabin in my thread about keel winch handles.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I don't want to hijack this or change the subject, but since the bottom of the tiller came up, on my S, the tiller connects to a pipe that goes through the laz to steer the rudder. The screws that hold the tiller assembly rub on the fiberglass. Have any of you had to deal with this? I'll try to take a picture tomorrow

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hi Doc; I have seen a mod either here or the other Mac forum to fix the rubbing. Its a bushing that raises the tiller handle up. I know Holdtec did a mod along those lines too. I think it took the play out.
Voltzwgn; The closed end of the cockpit on the Cuscus's 25 is a mod he did. (A very nice one too!)
I purchased a tiller tamer this summer. I think a bungee would be more suited to my needs. That said, I do use it. But its in the way... either the line or the plastic piece.
It does work. Just not to my tastes. I'll be trying Eric V's bungie idea before I install it on to my new tiller.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I made a simple band (need to get a pic tonight) that took only a few minutes to make and works perfectly. I didn't want to spend the dollars on the Ida riser.
I also made a bushing from HDPE that bolts under the top rudder post hole - it removes all side to side play.
All this made a huge difference in steering - and keeps the tiller from wearing through the fiberglass.

Apr 24, 2006
Speaking of Tiller Tamers - has anyone installed the "Tiller Clutch"? Vast improvement and beautifully made. Simple one finger operation.

Chris

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Speaking of Tiller Tamers - has anyone installed the "Tiller Clutch"? Vast improvement and beautifully made. Simple one finger operation.

Chris

One of the selling points of the Tiller Clutch....

http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

....to me is actually a negative....

Click it on or off for instant steering adjustments. There are no knobs to turn, friction to fight, plastic to break, ropes to tie, or bungee cords to adjust.
I like the friction adjustment on the Tiller Tamer. It is not like you are turning the knob a lot. On anchor I just turn it a turn or so to lock it down so the rudder isn't swinging around.

Underway I'll tighten it so that it has enough friction to hold the rudder but also to the point where I can just nudge it one way or the other if needed by my hand or leg. I like this vs. the "on" or "off".

Using one, unless you are motoring in a no wave or wind condition, is not a just set it and forget it. An Autopilot will be constantly working as you go up and down waves and as the wind speed varies. You will have to make some adjustments with the tiller also unless you are pretty tolerant of where the boat is going. Like someone else mentioned you can go below for a minute or two but not a half hour or close to it.

I like it since I don't have to keep my hand on the tiller every second,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 24, 2006
Have you sailed with the Tiller Clutch? When I tried it, I liked that its just a "grab" of the tiller that eases the clutch allowing it to move - sort of integrated as opposed to something separate.
Both work well - I just liked the clutch after trying it (and sailing 7 years with the Tiller Tamer).

Chris

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Have you sailed with the Tiller Clutch? When I tried it, I liked that its just a "grab" of the tiller that eases the clutch allowing it to move - sort of integrated as opposed to something separate.
Both work well - I just liked the clutch after trying it (and sailing 7 years with the Tiller Tamer).

Chris
Nope, but the Tiller Tamer has worked fine for us and would buy another if one was needed. As I said I like the fact that I don't have to even grab the tiller in most cases, just nudge it with the leg or give it a little tug towards me if needed.

They both look like they are rigged pretty much the same. I guess it just comes down to personal preference,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.