Davis Tiller Tamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Macgregor 26D Mosquito Lake, Cortland Ohio
When I bought my used Mac 26 D, it had a Davis Tiller Tamer attached to the Top of the Tiller. The PO only used it to tie the tiller to the Lazarette latch when leaving the boat.A friend told me it might be used as an auto pilot. Exactly how do you use this device?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
A small line is made fast to a cleat or whatever on one side of the cockpit, threaded through the device, then fixed to the opposite side of the cockpit. A twist of the knob will lock or unlock the line.

Not an autopilot in the strictest sense, but okay for when you need to be elsewhere on the boat for short durations.

Aug 14, 2012
A small line is made fast to a cleat or whatever on one side of the cockpit, threaded through the device, then fixed to the opposite side of the cockpit. A twist of the knob will lock or unlock the line.

Not an autopilot in the strictest sense, but okay for when you need to be elsewhere on the boat for short durations.
How far is the device suppose to be mounted from the rudder post?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
This is how I rigged it on my V25. I use it mostly when motoring into the wind to raise my sails when single handing. It can be used when under sail, if the sails are balanced. If they are not balanced, the boat will not stay on course and depending on how close to balanced they are is how quickly or slowly the boat will change course. I use it mostly for quick trips below or up on deck.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How far is the device suppose to be mounted from the rudder post?
You are free to determine it's placement. It'll be a balancing act between how much leverage you want, and how much "in the way" you want the line to be.

THECUSCUS has lots of room, judging from his photo.

Sep 25, 2008
The only stipulation in the instructions, is that the two lines form a 90-degree angle. Where you want your cleats, will therefore determine where on the tiller it is placed. It doesn't need any "leverage", as it is only holding the tiller in place. You can hold the tiller in place with a line wrapped around the tiller and cleated off on each side, rear cleat. But, you better be able to release it quickly, or you may be knocked over if the situation is right. The clutch adjustment on the Davis piece allows the rudder to move if it has too. I used the quick release cleats so I can throw it off in a hurry if i have to.
Hey Bill, look at my picture closely, the tamer IS mounted on the bottom of my tiller. There is a tiller extension on top and some decorative knot work (Turks head) that may have made that difficult to see.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The only stipulation in the instructions, is that the two lines form a 90-degree angle.....

...Hey Bill, look at my picture closely, the tamer IS mounted on the bottom of my tiller....
Ours was on the tiller when we bought the boat and is on the top. Seems to work just fine there and see no reason to move it to the bottom. Easy to work the knob where it is and isn't in the way. If I'm on the tiller I'll ofter tighten it just enough to hold, but can still push the tiller one way or the other as needed without turning the knob. Ruth doesn't like using it as much as I do and seldom uses it.

In the picture above you can see one of the lines going off to the starboard side to a cleat. The other one in the picture is ...

....tied off just below and the lines are just keeping the rudder from swinging around and we do that when we aren't moving.

Underway the port side line also goes to a cleat 90 deg. to the tiller on the coaming on that side. Where we sit with the S the lines aren't in the way,

Sum.

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
So if I understand it right sounds like the instructions say the lines connecting to the tamer should form a 90 degree angle. From what Sum said it sounds like his are 180 degrees which is pretty close to the way mine is setup and it seems to work fine, mines also mounted on top. But I could see where the 90 degree angle might be less drag where it enters the device.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
So if I understand it right sounds like the instructions say the lines connecting to the tamer should form a 90 degree angle. From what Sum said it sounds like his are 180 degrees which is pretty close to the way mine is setup and it seems to work fine, mines also mounted on top. But I could see where the 90 degree angle might be less drag where it enters the device.
I'm thinking the lines are at 90 deg. to the tiller handle, but 180 deg. apart,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
Mine are 90 degrees between the lines....not the tiller. Like cuscus has his. I have open cam cleats attached to the top of the coaming inline with the lines.....need to be able to release those lines quickly if needed.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
Instructions?........I always get in trouble with those.......after the fact....;-) only kidding.....that's what I used.

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
Well broke down and deceided to RTFM and they do show 90 degree angle between the lines and min 18 inches from rudder pintle pin for boats with outboard rudders. Their cleats are mounted on the transom very similar to the was Cuscus has his setup. Mine works for now at 180 so maybe just add this to the list of possible changes with a low priority.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
180 is a straight line. It's 90 - has to be. That way as the tiller is moved to each extreme the line stays the same distance preventing binding - but the pivot point is not necessarily in line with the anchor points so it's not perfect.

Aside from locking the tiller in place a tamer can be used to dampen the tiller when it's getting tossed about - I use mine all the time.

Aug 14, 2012
180 is a straight line. It's 90 - has to be. That way as the tiller is moved to each extreme the line stays the same distance preventing binding - but the pivot point is not necessarily in line with the anchor points so it's not perfect.

Aside from locking the tiller in place a tamer can be used to dampen the tiller when it's getting tossed about - I use mine all the time.

When I submitted this thread I had no idea there would be so much interest. However, I went to the Davis Instrument Webb site, and found that they provide a very clear schematic on how to install the unit. The confusion on how to determine the 90 degree setup and where to locate it is very simple, but appears to be misunderstood by some. Go to the Webb site, and check it out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
When I submitted this thread I had no idea there would be so much interest. However, I went to the Davis Instrument Webb site, and found that they provide a very clear schematic on how to install the unit. The confusion on how to determine the 90 degree setup and where to locate it is very simple, but appears to be misunderstood by some. Go to the Webb site, and check it out.
Yep they show them at 90 deg...

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/2205_IM_TillerTamer.pdf

...to each other not the tiller.

That being said ours has worked fine with them close to 180. We have the RudderCraft rudder and you just don't move the rudder more than a couple degrees off center so it is never moved much once sailing or motoring. If we are having to move the rudder much we aren't using the tiller tamer.

I guess just do what works for you,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I tried it on the bottom. The scars on my leg made that error clear quickly.

Jeff

Sep 25, 2008
Jeff, how in the world would it bite your legs? You sit within 18" of the transom? I sit as far forward as I can. It also helps that my main sheets (yes plural) are on top of the cabin and my fuel locker comes forward about 24" from the transom. Even on a stock Mac, I don't see how it could get you, unless it was installed too far out on the tiller.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.