Datamarine Depthsounder

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
I have a Datamarine Corinthian II S400DL Depthsounder that started acting erratic (initially 4-5 times actual depth, then less, then - - - on the screen).
Any thoughts, as to the cause (transducer or unit) and if such old technology is worth trying to repair, is much appreciated.
I have a Raymarine I70 as well which I currently use for AWA and AWS only. Am I better off to just get the transducer for the I70 (I believe you can get just depth or depth, speed and water temperature in a single transducer for the I70).
Thanks for any input.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Contact DMI marine (774) 213-9744
The owner services all of the older data marine instruments.
He knows everything there is to know about those older units.
I have had mine serviced over the years and found him reasonable compared to installing all new equipment and wire runs.
Hope this helps

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Contact DMI marine (774) 213-9744
Robbie's right. www.dmimarine. com
Great work. They also have paddle-wheels for their older knot meters. Least they did a while ago when I bought four! :) They repaired my depth sounder, works great 8 years or more later, 30 year old units. Almost as old as me! :) Catchin' up every day...:)

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I,too, have had good experiences with DMI keeping my 30-yr old Datamarine depth sounder alive and well. Call them and talk to one of the techs to decide if it's worth repairing your device.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Aww Stu. Your only as old a you look. :biggrin:
Oops. “THINK YOU ARE!” darn spell checker. Writes what I’m thinking not what I’m writing. ;)

You know “your beautiful baby”

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I hadn't thought to call DMI. I'd bet they have some pretty good information and I'm going to call them myself. I have the same depth instrument and it has always been very accurate and reliable sine I bought a new transducer in 2005. In freshwater, I never had any problems, and it was very easy to keep the transducer clean in fresh water. I've never applied bottom paint to the outside surface like some people do. I do have some erratic readings now, which coincided with the moving our boat to the brackish water on Barnegat Bay.
What I get is a sudden reading that shows water depth over 400' where the actual depth is less than 10'. My deep water alarm is set at about 200' so I'll get the loud beeping to alert me. The reading immediately retreats back to the actual depth by counting down for several seconds and the alarm stops. On some days it never happens. On other days, it happens so frequently that I can't stand the constant alarm and shut the power off. There are days when it happens, but with far less frequency. It even occurs occasionally when I'm just sitting in the slip. It doesn't seem to matter if the transducer is just cleaned or if the boat bottom is starting to feel a little slimy from algae. It doesn't seem to matter what time of year. I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the sea grass that is floating around everywhere. It never stops on an inaccurate reading, it just immediately goes from an accurate reading to over 400', then counts down to an accurate reading. Then the cycle eventually repeats. It's really annoying when the alarm is constantly going off, but I leave the alarm on because I want to be alerted when it is happening. It makes me nervous to shut the depth sounder off when I'm sailing in areas that frequently approach 5' depth.

Aug 27, 2014
Sabre 34 53447 Sarasota
Thanks all for your input. I now live on SW Florida's Gulf Coast. (not the deep water of the NE) The bottoms (sand bars) are shallow and constantly moving. After much thought I decided to eliminate the anxiety of equipment I couldn't depend on and installed a new Raymarine DST 800 transducer and i50 depth instrument. I already have the i70 and the SeaTalk network on board. Adding the DST800 gave me redundancy in depth and speed while adding water temp.

Jake77

Sep 15, 2015
Seafarer 30 Brooklyn
Does anybody know how to remove the Corinthian S2000L depth sounder? I opened the panel from the back and didn’t see any screws.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Some datamarine instruments have a retaining clip that holds them in from the back. It would be a metal ring nearly the whole circumference of the gauge in the back, with one end bent slightly inward. Use that edge to pinch the ring inward and remove it, then the gauge might come out.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
I don’t understand why you have a deep water alarm?
that is a fair statement/question. depth sounders are wonderful navigation tools. that's the answer :)

on a sail from sturge to chicago, 200 mi. ish. i will want to be well offshore to get that big lake feel. fresh winds, rollings seas :) well, i can use my depth sounder to keep me in a zone well offshore and still tell me iff i have wandered to far out. i like getting into the "sailing zone" head. chasing puffs, working through lulls. playing the waves, working them for the thrill. i like keeping my head 'out of the boat' and in mother nature. not always following a computer coarse on a screen. like skiing above the tree line, open and free. the open lake is my playground.

depth sounder is a great nav tool, jon

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
There is a ring on the back of the unit that is held on with set screws. Take the ring off and the unit will slid forward out of the case.