Dang hot water heater

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
So...here we sit at blue water bay marina. We have had the mechanics look at what we need before going up the TN Tom. We also now know there is a leak somewhere with the water heater. Sadly, it's almost impossible to get to it with all the crap we thought we would need for the trip! Could any of you that may have encountered problems in this area give me a heads up as to what we should be looking for?

Thanks,
Marilyn

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Marilyn.
Sorry to hear about your challenges. Water heaters are not impossible to replace if needed. First you need to identify the problem.
Being all packed sounds like the repair would mean postponing your trip. Is this the case?

Oct 22, 2014
Do you know where the leak is?
Is it a leak of your hot water or a leak of coolant from the engine?
Do you know your system? Do you have valves to cut your system off from the rest of your systems?
Do you need the water heater during the trip till you get to your destination and can then replace the unit?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We had to buy a new heat exchanger as the engine over heated. We new we were losing fresh water by the amount used vs the amount to fill the tank. While searching for engine problems, we turned on the water pump and noticed a continuous trickle of warm water coming from the heater. Hoping for an easy repair.

Oct 22, 2014
Where is the water coming from? The the bottom of the unit (indicates a possible tank leak = replace heater) or the valve connection (which may mean a hose replacement or tightening the connection). Hoses wear out and crack.
How old is the heater? Can you read the label. On my 1974 boat the heater was 1976. I replaced it and am very happy.
Also replaced hoses as they were also of the same age. Install took about a day for me. I had ample access. You may not have that. Pictures of your heater location and where you are seeing the leak may help give clues to your challenge.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
Sorry for all your problems. We just bought our 310 a couple weeks before you. We had it transported from Jacksonville to Ft. Walton Beach. Our surveyor actually recommended adding a valve at the engine that would allow bypassing the circulation of engine water to the water heater should a problem arise. Although if the water inside the tank is leaking, that wouldn't help. But you've got me thinking the bypass valve is not a bad idea :)

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hey Allen,
So you bought the Jacksonville boat! I looked at that one but timing was off...it's a 2005 right? Is it a great boat without all the problems we have faced so far?

Aug 20, 2017
Hey Allen,
So you bought the Jacksonville boat! I looked at that one but timing was off...it's a 2005 right? Is it a great boat without all the problems we have faced so far?
Yes that was us! So far, so good with the boat. Had to replace batteries, lift muffler, and do some clean up... it had been unattended for a year or so. We're still cleaning on it, but no major problems so far. We had a really good surveyor in Jacksonville, so the batteries and muffler were known quantities.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Allen, Welcome aboard! Please join the association if you have not done so already, remember we are all better by a stronger
association, and you also get the BOATUS discount!
It took us time to get our boat the way we like it and we are at the end of season 4 wih ours and just added a new bimini and added a dodger. So it is a process....
In the spring we have previously had a couple of leaks from the water heater due to a loose connection at the base of the heater, hopefully that is all it is. This season we replaced the heat exchanger and the water pump because we changed from the sherwood to the oberdorfer, its a boat, its always something :):biggrin:.
This is a great resource thanks for sharing because it helps everyone.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks Allen,
I suppose my frustration comes from the fact that this is the newest sailboat we have owned with the most problems! Plus being so far from home and trying to get out of harms way. Fortunately we have met amazing people on every leg of our trip. This forum as provided me with so much support and encouragement. I do feel that when all is said and done, (and fixed), I will love this boat. I do know when we get home, I will be a much better sailor⛵

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So...here we sit at blue water bay marina. We have had the mechanics look at what we need before going up the TN Tom. We also now know there is a leak somewhere with the water heater. Sadly, it's almost impossible to get to it with all the crap we thought we would need for the trip! Could any of you that may have encountered problems in this area give me a heads up as to what we should be looking for?

Thanks,
Marilyn
I don't mean to be flip, but you should be looking for a leak! What's leaking, water or coolant? Is it leaking to the outside, or between coolant and water sides through the heat exchanger (the one inside the heater, not the engine heat exchanger)?

There's really little you can do besides eliminating all possible external leak sources, like fittings, hoses, valves, etc., until you isolate it to - the heater internals. And, these are not 'fixable,' in any practical sense.

I see you replied to the post saying "we turned on the water pump and noticed a continuous trickle of warm water coming from the heater." Can you isolate where, exactly, it's leaking form, or is just trickling from the enclosure?

How old is it? Is the water used hard or soft?

(I replaced the one in my C36 a few years ago. It was about 28 years old. The new one was like night and day! ours must have been clogged before it started leaking).

Aug 20, 2017
Look at the bright side... at least Maria isn't chasing you!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
So far! Hot water heater is leaking from the pressure valve...fix tomorrow.

Oct 22, 2014
That sounds like good news Mirwin. Hopefully it resolves the issues with such ease.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Always a good idea to have a spare H/W pressure valve. It is also a good idea to occasionally test it to clean out the crud, but if you do that, there is a chance that it will NOW start to leak, hence, the spare valve. The question is... WHY did it trip? Thermostat?