Replace Hot Water Heater

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Hi guys,
Been sometime since I was on the forums. Hope all is well with the usual suspects.

So... last year the hot water heater started leaking, so I just bypassed it. It's time to replace, but it appears again Catalina has laid an egg. I'm sure they put the HWH in and then put the deck on, just like the fuel tank, without ever testing to see it they could get it out through the access hole. The access hole is not big enough to get it out either font first or ass first. There is a mounting tab that protrudes into the fiberglass box the refrigerator compressor sits on. To get any movement the tab must be pulled out of the slot, pushing the heater into the yoke of the rudder shaft not allowing enough space the rotate. My only hope without cutting a bigger hole, is to reach in and cut the tab off with a saws all, and then I'm not sure I can get it out.

I will put in the F1100, 11gal from seaward, it is 10" shorter than the HF2000 that's in there now.

http://www.jmsonline.net/water-heat...gle_shopping&gclid=CLzS7fr85csCFYkkgQodwWAG-Q

Anybody else run into this problem?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
On a Columbia, yes. Had to disassemble the WH case to get it out. Wasn't going to do that on the brand new still in warrantee replacement but I found that by trimming the fiberglass coaming around the cockpit locker about 1/2" I could squeeze it in. Sometimes you have to get creative.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i too had this problem on the 400, i had both frank butler and jerry douglas on the phone and they assured me that it would fit through the cabinet doors under the sink, there is no possible way! they had to put in the 20 gallon tank before the counter top. also my sink was under mounted which means that dosnt come out either, later models they went to top mounted sinks.
it got to the point that i thought frank butler was getting mad at me, but i was the one that had to get it out. i had to cut the corner off the lower wall under the sink. (i have pictures, but i am on vacation now). if i was smart i would have put a 11 gallon in but i stuck with the 20.

mike

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I seem to recall a C310 thread on this within the last year. Have you searched for it?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The PO of Harmony, hull #31, did it somehow. Pretty sure he replaced it with the same size. No idea how, unfortunately.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
You have the 11 gal 22'' long, I have the 20gal 32" long, much less room to turn it around.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Do all C310s have that larger opening on the Starboard side? I have a clearly factory installed opening into the lazarette storage on the port side, and I have the same larger opening that paulj shows in this photos on the Starboard side, but the one on the Starboard side looks like something a PO did, not the factory. I am curious if everyone has that access opening, or if that is just a "standard" upgrade that most folks are doing.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Do all C310s have that larger opening on the Starboard side? I have a clearly factory installed opening into the lazarette storage on the port side, and I have the same larger opening that paulj shows in this photos on the Starboard side, but the one on the Starboard side looks like something a PO did, not the factory. I am curious if everyone has that access opening, or if that is just a "standard" upgrade that most folks are doing.
Yes, as far as I know they all have the removable panel on the starboard side. The problem is that the opening is not large enough to get the 20gal tank out. I'm guessing that the HHH as well as all the tanks were put in before the deck was put on. No one ever checked to see if it was possible to get the tank out through the opening, why would they, as they are building a production boat.

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Has any one who has the 11 Gal. ever used or would suggest to use the anode. It seems the only place for one is where the drain valve is ????:eek:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Years ago, I had to have the fuel tank removed to fix a leak. The boatyard tried for a while to remove it through the port side door, but no luck. Finally, they removed the water heater through the starboard panel, then they removed fuel tank the same way. Unfortunately, I was out of state and didn't see how they did it. The water heater was and is the original, from the factory, so it must fit through the starboard panel.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
We don't live aboard and so I replaced mine the second year I had my C310. I decided to race so wanted to reduce the amount of water I carried plus it took a long time to heat with AC and forever motoring.
I bought a 17L tank that looks like a small nuclear reactor. Hell it cost almost as much as one but it looks cool...

Hull #147 has the same slot/tang mounting that you are dealing with. I had to remove and crunch part of the outer casing as I recall to get it far enough to the portside to clear the tang. It came out easily after that.
I sold the old one to a guy with an older C310 up in Georgian Bay.
New tank gives hot water after less than 5 min on AC and just motoring in and out of harbour brings it up to a lukewarm temperature.
My next step is an attemperator control valve and trying to find a 180-185deg thermostat so I can run at a better temperature for the engine without worry about scalding one of the grandkids; or myself..
Peter

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
My next step is an attemperator control valve and trying to find a 180-185deg thermostat so I can run at a better temperature for the engine without worry about scalding one of the grandkids; or myself.
that is what the tempering valve is for to reduce the temp in the hot water line....i have mine set at 120 degrees coming out of the spigot ...and at times that is still a little hot ...but great for washing dishes and pans

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Yes running on the engine even with the 160 thermostat carries the water tank at at least 160. It really steams at the hot water tap if i have been motoring any amount of time.
Sitting on the bench in the garage finally. I have been meaning to put one in and this year is the time.
P

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
We don't live aboard and so I replaced mine the second year I had my C310. I decided to race so wanted to reduce the amount of water I carried plus it took a long time to heat with AC and forever motoring.
I bought a 17L tank that looks like a small nuclear reactor. Hell it cost almost as much as one but it looks cool...

Hull #147 has the same slot/tang mounting that you are dealing with. I had to remove and crunch part of the outer casing as I recall to get it far enough to the portside to clear the tang. It came out easily after that.
I sold the old one to a guy with an older C310 up in Georgian Bay.
New tank gives hot water after less than 5 min on AC and just motoring in and out of harbour brings it up to a lukewarm temperature.
My next step is an attemperator control valve and trying to find a 180-185deg thermostat so I can run at a better temperature for the engine without worry about scalding one of the grandkids; or myself..
Peter
Thanks Peter for your response. I thought about removing the cover, but not sure I could lift it up high enough to get it out + the screws on the other side would be a pain. I'm going to try to cut the tang off and take the fittings off the front and bend the engine hookup nipples over and see if that will work. Off to the boat this aft.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Ok...a proud Father of a 20lb water heater that was breach delivered without episiotomy. The trick was to first loosen the steering cable to get it out of the way and flatten the aft corner of the heater where it would interfere with the yoke, then pull it to port and rotate the aft end of the HWH till you can access the tang and cut it off with a saws-all, then continue to rotate while pushing the plumbing end around the yoke without damaging the engine compartment fume white flexible exhaust hose.
Have the F1100 on order from suremarineservice.com for $291.00
Hope this help the next poor sole that has bought the farm.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone put in an Anode in the 11gal. I can't seem to find any other place to put on except where the Drain Valve is. Has someone come up with another place to put one or could you move the Drain Valve let say to the inlet and make that a combo Drain and Fill. Then put the Anode in the original Drain Valve hole. Food for thought.

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

PS. Since the subject is Anodes. The Anode in the Heat Exchanger, is it a common Anode to buy or is it a special order product?

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Being ignorant, how often must the anode be replaced?