Damaged Impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin

I unintentionally ran my engine without the seawater intake valve open and shredded my impeller. I am concerned where those little pieces might have gone. What do I need to do to get things back to normal other that removing and cleaning the water pump i/o openings, replacing the impeller, and inspecting the housing for scoring or are those steps enough? Please don't tell me I need to rebuild the engine! Thanks in advance for all advice.

J

John Visser

check the heat exchanger

When I first got my C-36, I changed the impeller as a matter of course, and found that the old one was somewhat tattered. Initially, I had marginal to poor cooling. I decided to upgrade to the larger heat exchager. When I opened the old one at the inspection port, I found sea grass and chuncks of old impeller blocking some of the cooling tubes. So, I think it is quite likely that the impeller pieces will make their way to the heat exchanger. The question is, how long will it take? I would check there now, and periodically for a while. I would also flush the block with a garden hose to get an intuitive feel for how the water is flowing. jv

W

Wendell

Gallery Marine on Lake Union

Kevin, We've had great service from Gallery Marine on Lake Union in Seattle; both over the phone and at their shop. They can probably give you diagnostic tips as well as have parts and materials you may need for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.