Custom Exhaust Riser/Mixing Elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Since acquiring Smitty one system that has constantly given me a hassle has been the wet exhaust. In 2011, our first year together, the stock exhaust split while powering out of the river right as we were getting ready to set the sails. That spewed how sea water and soot all over engine. We powered back in and I assessed the problem. I found the crack, actually that was easy because the exhaust riser had split into two pieces. Later this lead to an engine stall because the soot had clogged my factory air filter. This probably contributed to rust on the engine and it was difficult to clean all the residual soot off the entire engine.

In researching a replacement I found out that Catalina made these custom for each boat model and in order to get a replacement, I would have to send the old one to California, it would take 4 weeks and cost like $300. Another options would be to have one made locally. My cousin has a machine shop and I took it to him. It would cost about $200 at most machine shops to fabricate. He doesn’t have a pipe bender so he could not do it. But he did weld the broken one back together. A third option that I got from reading at Sail Boat Owners was to make my own pipe from the home store.

For the remainder of 2011, I built my own exhaust riser out of black steel. It was quick fix and relatively easy. But it didn’t fit well and made the area along the bulk head cramped.

Factory Exhaust Riser

My cousin welded my original exhaust riser back together and I put that back on for the 2012 season. But at the end of the season, I removed the riser as part of repainting the engine and found that it was starting to leak again at the weld.

This lead to me making a custom exhaust riser that would be a permanent fix. I wanted it to be made of commonly available pieces so that I could replace it easy in the future. Also, since I had moved out the bulkhead by about 3 inches, I wanted to take advantage of that space and have an unwrapped riser for easy inspection.

For materials I chose to go with black steel instead of galvanized steel pipe. There is some concern with galvanized steel when heated causing health problems. However, the heat needed is much higher than produced by a small diesel like mine, but I decided to avoid this concern altogether and go with black steel. I also went with brass for the water portion of the mixing elbow. This was mainly due to availability. I would have stayed with black steel but they don’t carry the parts needed at the local home store. For a thread sealant I used Hercules Real-Tuff based on a previous recommendation from MaineSail. It has a good temperature range and doesn’t contain zinc or other metals that could lead to corrosion problems.

When I first had to make my temporary exhaust riser the hardest part of the project was separating the riser from a 90 degree elbow with a flange. That piece couldn’t be reproduced easily and took two large pipe wrenches (3 footers I had for work) and a 5 foot extension bar we used to put extra torque on the wrenches. But eventually we (my buddy Tim and I) got it separated. Since then I have used the Real-Tuff every time I have put it together and you don’t have to torque the pieces together to get tight treads. As a result, you can separate it easier if you need to make changes or clean parts.

The factory exhaust riser was 1 1/4 inch schedule 80 stainless steel pipe. The inner diameter is 1.28 inches. The only reason I can think that they used the schedule 80 was they were bending it fairly sharply and then welding to it. From a strength perspective, there is no reason schedule 40 wouldn’t work in this application. The inner diameter for schedule 40 pipe is 1.38 inches. That’s about a 15% increase in size. I had thought about going bigger but it didn’t seem necessary. My temporary exhaust riser from 2011 was 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 black iron and that was really too large to fit the area. The 90 with the flange coming off the exhaust is 1 1/2 inches and the factory riser immediately reduced to the 1 1/4 inches. So I mimicked this set up with a 1 1/2 by 1 1/4 inch reducing coupling.

Next I threaded a 4 inch piece of pipe into the coupling followed by a street 90 and then a t-fitting. On the bottom of the tee fitting I placed another 4 inch piece of pipe as a point to connect the exhaust hosing leading to the muffler. On the factory riser, it was just smooth pipe that fit into the hose and then was held with two hose clamps. So I am doing the same and the threads on the pipe should affect the connection because there is enough flat section above the threads to get the first hose clamp on.

For the water injection portion, I used brass. A combination of 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch. Iused a 3/4 by 1/2 reducing coupling. Some of these couplings have the 1/2 inch threads all the way through the fitting. If you don’t have threads all the way through the interior, you could complete the threading with a tap. This allows a 1/2 inch pipe (3 inches long) to be threaded into the interior side of the reducing coupling. A hose barb can be threaded into the top of the reducing coupling. For this one I had to use an additional coupling in the middle due to a lack of pieces at the home store I went to. Also, this is a potential site for galvanic corrosion. So I will likely to some research with some suppliers I use at work and remake this portion with black iron to remove the problem.

The whole apparatus I made above was than threaded into the top of the t-fitting via a 1 1/2 by 3/4 inch reducing coupling. So the water is injected in the middle of the 1 1/2 inch inner diameter of the pipe while allowing exhaust to flow around it before mixing.

The pipe that was threaded into the inside of the3/4 by 1/2 inch reducing coupling brings the injection point for the water down to the lower portion of the opening. This was done to prevent water from back flowing into the exhaust and hydro-locking the engine.

The rest of the pieces were assembled to complete the mockup. I then dry fit the piece and made a couple of adjustments to the angles where several parts met.

I painted the completed piece with Rustoleum high heat paint and installed it on the engine.

I ran the engine this weekend. I let it get up to temperature and ran it with a load at about 1,500 RPM in gear, tied up to the dock. I let the engine run for about an hour and took some readings with my IR thermometer.

Temperature readings in degrees Fahrenheit

I also checked the temperatures on the new bulkhead and those all stayed around 70 degrees. I will keep monitoring temperatures and update if I make any changes. Now, no more planned projects for this year. Bend on the sails and get out there. Can’t wait to sail Maine later this year.

Cross posted on my blog.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
This brings up questions

First off this is wicked creative and deserves a two thumbs up. You better be careful as you could make MaineSail jealous; although he will probably rise above. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you need to have your bulkhead modified or does this fit into the original space?
2. Is there a parts list?
3. Also, as I am bit challenged spatially/mechanically is there a drawing that would show the parts?

I totally like this and I wonder why the builders get so fancy when something simple out of standard parts could suffice.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Smitty, well done, sir! :)

Since 1987, our skippers have been "discussing" this issue. My old riser blew out in 2003, IIRC, and I had to sail back to my slip: a 2 hour trip became a four hour adventure. I'd practiced sailing back into my slip, so that wasn't the issue, it was the time and praying that the wind would hold. It did.

Schedule 80 pipe has a smaller internal dimension, BUT: it has a thiocker wall dimension, so that if I was doing this, I'd tend to use thicker walled pipe, since the internal difference shouldn't be an issue.

I had a friend who'd bought an M25 engine from eBay to replace his old A4 on his Pearson 30. He built it up in his garage, and used just your idea of a T fitting for the injection point.

I agree, it sure seems to be an easier and more solid way to do it.

Great job and great presentation.

Thanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Catalina used sched 80 because it is an ABYC requirement on threaded exhaust fittings. Black sched 40 pipe does not hold up as well to vibration as a sched 80 will.

Nice work!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Brass/Bronze Maybe ...........................

Very nice indeed.

Has anyone ever fabricated a wet exhaust system using brass pipe nipples and bronze fittings rather than steel ? There's really no bronze pipe nipples only cast bronze fittings.

I would think it would be more resistant to corrosion and you don't have all the weight swinging around as you would with sch. 80 pipe.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Some follow up comments.

MaineSail's comment on the ABYC requirement had me go back and take a look at what they require. I found the attached document on the installation of exhaust systems. After reading that I have changed my mind on the following:

1. Material Choice - There is a table on page 7 of that document that discusses material selection. For a diesel wet exhaust, black steel is not one of the approved materials. So if/when I redo this, I will use either galvanized or stainless steel.

2. Material Thickness - As MaineSail pointed out and stated at 1.6.3 of the attached document, threaded pipe and fittings shall be at least schedule 80 pipe or the equivalent. I have a couple spare fittings I will measure tonight but I think I have complied with this for the most part. Schedule 80 pipe has a thickness of 0.191 inches. I did measure the wall thickness on the fittings at one point and believe most were just over 0.200 inches. This would mean the 90, tee and bushings would meet the "or equivalent" portion, I think.

I priced out what it would cost to do this in stainless steel ($210) or galvanized steel ($46). I just used Grainger because it was quick and easy. I probably wouldn't use them to actually order from because they are usually higher in price than other sources. Stainless would probably still be 4 times as much as galvanized.

You don't need to modify the bulkhead for this but you would need to rearrange some hoses below to make this easier.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jesse

Attachments

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Gentlemen,

Would like to follow-up this discussion with a couple of questions if that is ok.

My exhaust elbow/riser (now I think I have the correct phrase) started to leak today. Hot/wet (and dirty/sooty) exhaust all over the engine compartment. Lots of steam.

Will attempt to remove the elbow tomorrow. My mechanically inclined buddy is coming over to help.

Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts on replacing this part? Neither I nor my buddy have the skills to fabricate one as you guys are discussing.

I was thinking of removing and taking to the two diesel engine repair facilities around here and seeing if they have the capability to fabricate one.

My elbow/riser seems to be wrapped in some sort of heat containment foil type wrap. Is that normal?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Jim

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Have to disagree with you.

... Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts on replacing this part? Neither I nor my buddy have the skills to fabricate one as you guys are discussing...
Jim, I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit on this. :naughty: Getting the elbow off will be the hard part. After that it is just a matter of getting the parts and putting it all together. Jesse has done an awesome job documenting this with parts and assembly. Worse comes to worse you spend a few dollars and a little time playing with this, and then get someone to overcharge you.

As far as the wrap, most of us have some fiberglass insulation with some extra foil around the major part of the pipe to keep the heat down. Seems like a good idea so I actually added some to mine there. Plus a few had issues with their bulkheads catching fire and the fix from Catalina was to add a heat resistant panel (not sure that is the proper term) to insulate the bulkhead. Jesse did a mod to his to give the panel an RCH more distance between the elbow and the bulkhead.

FWIW, Most of the stuff on our boats is pretty simple and with a little time, thought, and questions asked here you can get everything done on your boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The hardest part will be removing the third low nut on the exhaust flange at the aft end of the exhaust manifold. Buy and use PB Blaster. Do NOT get ANY near the seals on the transmission.

Good luck. It took me a week to get that bugger off. :) Really. The end "trick" was to get a looong screwdriver on a box end wrench.

Mar 22, 2009
Will be attempting the removal tomorrow. But we had it most of the way disconnected last week during the transmission replacement. Sure doesn't seem like it will be as hard as you guys are describing. But I am frequently WRONG about these kinds of things.

Will take some pictures.

Cheers,
Jim

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Sorry for a delay in responding. I was out sailing :)

Our exhaust risers aren't bolted on. They are held on by a tee bolt clamp. Much easier to get separated.

The hardest part if the project will be separating the 90 degree to flange piece that you need to salvage from the old exhaust riser that will take two big pipe wrenches or a pipe wrench and a vise.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jesse

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Neither I nor my buddy have the skills to fabricate one as you guys are discussing.
To back up Ray on his comments, I frequently think the same thing. I was never taught any mechanical skills or sought to learn any while growing up. Everything I do on the boat is usually something I am doing or the first time and more times than not it's with the help of the guys and gals on this forum. It may take longer (sometimes wayyyyy longer) than paying someone, but when I'm done, and the darn things work, it feels GREAT! So look at the list, buy the parts and get to building. You definitely won't regret it and the more you do to your boat yourself, the better you know her and the more confident a sailor and boat mechanic you become. My apologies for digressing!

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks again to all for their inputs.

We took off the riser today. Very easy to remove. Could feel a weak spot through all the heat wrapping on the riser. Took off all that old wrapping and the riser was completely cracked through right at the nipple weld.

Took it to a fabricator in town and he is making me a new one that I think will look similar to the one Jesse posted above. Not a rounded pipe but straight pipe with elbow joints. All stainless. He said he should have the parts in tomorrow and have the piece ready for me by Wednesday. Estimated cost is $260.

Here are several photos.

Cheers,
Jim

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yeah, that break looks really familiar.

So the next step is going to be to deal with the soot/salt water mix that sprayed all over your engine. I didn't do that soon enough and got a lot of rust. I highly recommend Gunk followed by spraying down with a pressure washer. You will have to recover all of the spray; it can't be discharged overboard. Then run the engine until dry. Maybe some T-9 at the end.

Good luck. Post some pictures of what your fabricator comes up with. I would really like to see what a professional comes up with.

Jesse

Mar 22, 2009
Never mind. Googled it.

Will look for it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 22, 2009
Jesse,

Did you wrap your new riser in thermowrap or anything like that?

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse,

Did you wrap your new riser in thermowrap or anything like that?

Thanks,
Jim
No but I modified my bulk head to allow for more space. If I didn't do the modification I would have wrapped it in the woven material that was on the original one.

Mar 22, 2009
But I am guessing that wrapping it wouldn't really hurt anything...

Or am I guessing wrong???

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.