Crossing the Strait of Georgia (Gibsons to Nanaimo)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WestWight Potter 19 is what is stated on his Avatar.

Depending on the weather, it is aprox 32nm across, Vancouver to Nanaimo, it could take him at best speed 5 hours. More likely 6-7. And if the winds are unfavorable, 2 days. Suggest taking some water and a sandwich, just in case.

Boat​
LWL (ft)DispD/LS/LDisp HullSpeedTrue HullSpeedTrue Hullspeed with cargo
Potter 1916.2513001351.805.4 knots7.2 knots6.3 knots w 700#

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
So let say he sails at 4 knots on avg. its going to take 8 hours and this will also be 2 current changes as well as 8 ferries 3-5 tugs with barges and getting out of Gibson he may have out flow winds that could be against tide causing waves 3-4 feet around Keats Island. I know John has sailed in the strait and I have made many trips to the Vancouver and US from Campbell River and seen the strait weather change from 5-10 to 20-30 knots in 6 hours even with the weather report stating 5-10 for the next 2 days. If you are looking at sailing in the Gulf Islands which is great Stu can attest to this, you may want to take the ferry and splash on the island if not be safe, DON'T GET HOME ITIS, pick a weather window that you can handle.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Guys :yikes:

Navionics straight line distance has the West side of Gibson Shoal to the entrance of Nanaimo Hbr at just over 20NM. So if we use John’s “True Hull Speed” value he could conceivably be across the strait in less than 3 hours. Not likely but just sayin’.
Some of my best sailing in these parts have been crossing the Strait. No land to get in the way, no tidal passes to navigate and relatively no surprise traffic to deal with, so long tacks are the norm. Many times I have gone from Maple Bay to Nanaimo via Keats or Gambier Island. Adds an overnight to the trip but results in 2 great days of wind on the beam. Doesn’t get much better.
Absolutely ensure the wind/weather is conducive to safe travels, make sure your boat is up to the trip, stay alert as you near Nanaimo and if you have an experience sailor to lend a hand all the better.
I think we have pretty much covered your original questions and a bit more.

And oh, @Prairie Virgin Sailor welcome to the forum.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
He should, at minimum, have a chartplotter. Failing that, a compass or at least a pair of binoculars. Those log booms move fast and it's hard to ascertain their direction w/the naked eye when they far away.

erinc

Sep 29, 2021
C&C 27 Burrard
Hey folks! Thanks for the great thread. Thoughts on optimal current for the crossing? I've gone from Nanaimo to Vancouver Aug 21, 2021 7am departure (if you want to check the current atlas) - we had an ebbing tide (so, flowing southeast out of the strait) for the first 5 hours or so, then the tide switched, so it was flooding into English Bay as we came around south side of bowen. Seemed kinda perfect. So for the trip back, we're thinking ebbing out of Vancouver for the first hour or two, and catching the tide change as we start getting out into the strait so we ride the flood across...? Sound reasonable?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sound reasonable?
Sure, but if you look at a chart you'll find you don't have much tidal influence on the Island side when you get to Nanaimo. Kinda they way the whole town and its surrounding waters are set up. So all you have to deal with is the back&forth on the crossing. Find a day with neap, not springs.

Charts again: while you should get individual charts for the mainland and Strait, this is what you need when you get here: Canadian Hydrographic Chart book 3313

The individual raster charts are being discontinued, but I'd bet the chart book is still available. Covers a LOT of area for once you get here.