Crossing the Gulf Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey All

This is just one of those info. gathering posts and this place has the most first hand knowledge of anyplace I use so...

I'd like to see what info/resources exist for the self taught sailor regarding the preparation needed for one's first crossing of the gulf stream. I'm imagining a trip from Palm Beach to the Bahamas. I've never done anything like this before. I have left the sight of land before but never a crossing (other than in the Pamlico Sound, Albemarle Sound and the Chesapeake bay but I don't really think of those as crossings)

I've done some reading and here is what I think I already know... so please correct and/or fill in the gaps as you see fit.

1) The gulf stream can get really choppy with 6' short spaced chop after only a few hours of northerlies... and it take a few days to settle down... so... a good weather window requires a few days of southerlies and/or westerlies.

2) You will be out of VHF and cell range for the middle part of the journey so it might be a good idea to have some other means of communication.

3) An EPIRB, safety harnesses etc are a must.

4) The gulf stream can move at up to 10 knots so you need to adjust your course accordingly.

5) Bring a spare tiller.

Okay, well that is what I think I know. So if you have other "must" I'd love to hear about it.

This is not a trip I'm planning on taking in the near future, I'm fixing up an older Rhodes 22' and several guys on the Rhodie list serve have done this trip so it has me thinking about it.

I know some of you will want to tell me that a 22' boat is too small and I understand that if things get nasty a 22' is going to bet knocked about... but If you are not familiar with the Rhodes it is a highly over engineered little cruiser. It has an 8' beam, and a higher than normal freeboard so it is roomy. It also has flared hulls so it is dry in a chop. It has positive boyancy and a relatively thick hull. And its rigging is over designed as well. It has 9 stays (two back stays, three shrouds on each side and a forestay). And the wiring of each stay is stout. The mast will stay up without the forestay. So it is a tough little 22' boat.

Thanks in advance for any input you are willing to share.

Fair winds,

r

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
A spare rudder, some redundant type of nav aid, fishing gear(and a watermaker would be nice), and I think you're good to go!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree. This trip has been written up soooo much, that I venture to suggest you Google or Bing "Gulf Stream Crossing" and you'll have so much to read it will take longer than the trip you're planning. Good luck. Be safe.

One of the earlier members of this forum did it in a Hunter (?) 25 and has written it all up.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I won't comment on some of your fuzzy facts about a gulf stream crossing. You need to do a lot more reading on the subject, like cruising guides and blogs of cruisers that make the crossing. You obviously have a great sense of adventure, so you are half way there.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First determine which island in the Bahamas you want to make landfall as that will help to indicate your best place for departure. It is best to leave the US from a southerly point to your destination as the current drift will tend to carry you North and is best to sail with the current than against it. Don't overload the boat, as the they sell food and fuel in the main islands. It is a 10-12 hour (MOL) trip so plan your departure time so you can make your destination in daylight as you need to be able to see your way and judge the depth of the water. Navigation aids are not what you may be used to in the States. Get your passport and check on the Bahamian cruising fee for a vessel your size. Speaking of size, it may be irrelevant, in calm waters boats as small as 15' have made the crossing but when a strong northerly opposes the current much bigger boats than yours have floundered. Just mind your weather window both ways.

Jan 19, 2010
A spare rudder, some redundant type of nav aid, fishing gear(and a watermaker would be nice), and I think you're good to go!
Thanks...

A water maker sounds good. I have two hand held GPS units on standby already so I got that covered...

I've been wondering about a spare rudder???... On a 22' boat, space is a premium (well it is on any sailboat but you get my point). So, I've been thinking about modifying the galley table so it can double as a spare rudder. I think it could look nice if done thoughtfully and the pintles on a galley table would make a nice conversation starter :) I'd still want fiddle rails on my table but I'm thinking if they were fastened only with screws (or some sort of wing nut) and no glue, they could be quickly removed if I needed my spare rudder.

What I haven't figured out yet is if I can make the table stand double as the spare tiller.:confused:

My Rhodes is already set up with a table that can be taken out of the galley and set up in the cockpit and I would want to keep that feature.

Jan 19, 2010
I won't comment on some of your fuzzy facts ...
I won't be offended....

I started this knowing I'm green. I've read a few blogs, and I've been all over the State Department's website on the subject... I know about entry fees and ports of entry etc. I've already ordered a yellow flag (it is a bit premature but I can always hang it in my office until I'm ready to go... a motivator:) )

What I'd really like to hear more about are the sailing conditions encountered when crossing the gulf stream. Equipment that people find essential... or just a really nice thing to have... troubles people ran into and unexpected challenges...Not so much the legal stuff. I found all of that on line already.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Charlie now has a trawler and another blog site for that, may be a link in that one to his second.

Enjoy.

Jan 19, 2010
Charlie now has a trawler and another blog site for that, may be a link in that one to his second.

Enjoy.
Yep!

It was a good read. I've already learned that I over estimated the strength of the current.

I'm really motivated to get my little boat fixed up.

Dec 4, 2005
1984 Hunter 31 Geneva Ohio
All of the suggestions above are good, you will also need good ground tackle. We have made the crossing a few times from Lake Worth to the Memory Rock area on our Hunter 31 and it is not a tough crossing as long as you pick your weather window. We subscribe to Chris Parker Marine Weather Center for personal forecasts, but that is not needed if you have a way to listen to his forecasts on SSB radio. For the FL to Bahamas forecast he transmits on 4045 mhz USB mornings at 06:30 and 08:00 and enough other cruisers will most likely be asking about the same crossing as you are planning. A couple outher good weather sites are Passageweather, Bouyweather, and Sailflow. Just give yourself plenty of time and don't get talked into anything you don't think you or your boat can't handle. A dingy is a must as it is your only way to get to shore for fuel, food and water in a lot of places. The Abacos are a good place to get a feeling for cruising as there are plenty of places close by to provision, get water and fuel, protected anchorages, dockage, and fun places to visit.

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks Link

I was reading this blog yesterday (http://www.microcruising.com/secrets.htm) about a couple who have done the trip in a very tiny sailboat. And they also mentioned the value of multiple anchors and anchor types. Hearing your 2nd in just two days says a lot.

What is your take on rode? How much chain do you need to have on the end to feel safe from chafing? At present I have only 10' of chain, the rest is nylon.

Dec 4, 2005
1984 Hunter 31 Geneva Ohio
I have 200' of chain with 250' of 5/8 anchor plait on my primary anchor, and 30' of chain with 100' of 1/2" plait on my secondary anchor. Having said that, for cruising the Bahamas that is probaly not needed as you will most likely be anchoring in sand in around 12' of water in most anchorages. I think i would increase your chain to at least 20' and make sure you inspect your rope to chain connection every time you set your anchor. Our blog is http://svmissinglink.blogspot.com

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I am not the really adventurous type but the "crossing" does not scare me. I plan to leave from Dinner Key with a whole host of boats. There is no way I plan to do this alone. My friends who have done this have said over an over it's a piece of cake IF YOU WAIT!!! for the correct weather window. One of my friends waited 3 weeks for a window. We have so many people from our sail club who have made the trip they probably outnumber the ones like me who haven't yet. Some of them I wouldn't ride in the same car with.

You will make friends with those waiting to cross and your VHF will keep you in touch with the group. You won't be alone. You will probably find that since you are in such a small boat they will "mother duck" you the whole way and bug you to death with radio checks. The cruising community seems to watch out for one another. We are talking about a 12 to 20 hour sail. Not a circumnavigation. I'm not taking this lightly by any means but we are not talking about a patrol in Afghanistan or Detroit at night. This is a calculated risk and your calculations should minimize the risk.

There is a lot of shallow water once you get there and you are not the first person to make the trip. Believe it or not people have written cruising guides to tell you how to do it. (sarcasim) I have few years before we make the jump but it is number one on my bucket list. Maybe we will cross together.

Finally rent an EPIR from Boat US.

Jan 19, 2010
..... I plan to leave from Dinner Key with a whole host of boats .....
That sounds like fun!!!!

There is a lot of shallow water once you get there ....
The Rhodes has a concrete keel with a swing dagger board. With the board up she draws only 1' 8"... probably should call it 2' fully loaded with a little buffer to spare. With the dagger board down, she draws 4'.

...and you are not the first person to make the trip.
Right....

Believe it or not people have written cruising guides to tell you how to do it. (sarcasim)
(sp) sarcasm ;)

... yep, got two in my Amazon shopping cart.

Maybe we will cross together.
That would be great! My wife and I are both college teachers so we get a long holiday around Christmas. We already have obligations for this December (and the boat won't be ready anyway - it is a project boat at the moment) but when I mentioned my desire to make this trip my wife said... "how about we plan on hopping through the keys next Christmas and lets see how nervous I get in open water. Then if it seems okay we can go for it." :D

I was expecting... "that sounds scary, I'll see you when you get back". My wife loves being on the boat but she is not a real good swimmer and I've never taken her past the sight of land so I was not sure how she felt about something like this. Now my kids have no fear and are ready to go now.:dance:

And to be honest... a Christmas in the Key would still be great so .... if the weather does not cooperate or my wife does not feel comfortable making the crossing... I'll still have a blast.... so there is no down side.

Finally rent an EPIR from Boat US.
Yep! The price of these have really come down. There is a 4 star rated EPIRB at West Marine for $280 and a five star rated one for $360. It looks like you can rent one for $30/week. So for 9 weeks of rentals, I could own one. Not really sure which way I'll go yet. I also need to upgrade my PFDs and buy harnesses. I think I'll want a drogue as well.

Thanks Sail-mate

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
(sp) sarcasm ;)

#$*$ spell check lol

We have done the Keys from Punta Gorda several times and always have had a great time. It is very close to another country (Conch Republic) but in many places a whole different planet. We are retired teachers and will probably be doing the Keys in the spring. This fall we are cruising north for several weeks. Winter is the prime cruising time here. Your shallow draft will be a real bonus wherever you sail down here.

Jan 19, 2010
This fall we are cruising north for several weeks.
What do you consider "north"?:D

If you have never cruised the Pamlico or Albemarle sounds... I can highly recommend it. However there are a lot of shoals to watch out for. There are areas along the North Carolina coast that have 100 year old virgin Cypress with Spanish moss dripping into the water. I don't understand why but the NC coast is largely undeveloped. Makes for some great Ghunkholling. And most of the towns surrounding the sounds have 48 hour free tie up at the town docks and free bath houses. I guess they want your tourism dollars but it sure does make planning a cruise easy. Just GO!... and where ever you end up for the night, you tie up, take a shower, go get a burger... it is nice.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Only have from 10/27 to about 11/17 so west coast of Florida with stops at: Pelican BAy Venice, Sarasota, Anna Marie Island, Gulfport, Clearwater, Longboat Key, Caladesi PArk, Tarpon Springs.

Just for info here is the trip Two of our members are about to finish. http://bluemoonstravels.weebly.com

Status
Not open for further replies.