Crimper Shoot Out / Load Test Results

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks, Maine Sail.

I had planned to borrow a friend's lug crimper but it turns out he has the Ancor one (http://www.amazon.com/Ancor-702040-Electrical-Professional-Crimper/dp/B000NI3EW0). So I will take the plunge and buy my own. I plan to use FTZ Power Lugs since they are available at Fisheries for a good price.

Two questions for you:
1. FTZ Correct Crimp or QuickCable Hex Crimp?
2. Ratcheting type or not?

The QuickCable crimper costs a little more but on a $200 tool it's not enough of a difference to matter.
Either tool is good but you do not want a ratcheting lug crimper if using it on a boat. You'll have to trust me on this one. I like the FTZ tool and this is how you use it: Making Your Own Battery Cables

I think when doing a single crimping with the diamond crimp tool you actually get a nicer finished lug with on a hex. With hex I make 1 crimp and rotate then make a second and it gives a BEAUTIFUL crimp...

Double crimping is make crimp, rotate lug 90 degrees, crimp once more in same spot.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
You said you had two HFT crimpers. I believe you tested the ones with the machined crimp dies. Did you test the other set and if so were the results the same?

Feb 6, 1998
You said you had two HFT crimpers. I believe you tested the ones with the machined crimp dies. Did you test the other set and if so were the results the same?
No they were not the same. The stamped steel ones let go at well before ABYC min standard of just 35 pounds. The problem with HFT is the consistency is abhorrent. One week you may get a good crimper and the next, one that you wouldn't use on your worst enemies boat..

Feb 27, 2014
Jeanneau 45-DS Emeryville, CA
Correction to caption for picture of crimpers

I think picture shows the Ancor Single Ratchet to the right of the Pro's kit, but doesn't mention it. If I am correct then I believe the list should read,

"From L to R: The Stripper, Klein Cut/Crimp/Strip, HFT Double Ratchet, Ancor Double Ratchet, HFT Double Ratchet (steel plate dies), Pro's Kit Double/Single Crimper, Ancor Single Ratchet , AMP T-Head (Blue & Red Terminals), AMP (Yellow Terminals)"

NOT
[B said:
From L to R:[/b] The Stripper, Klein Cut/Crimp/Strip, HFT Double Ratchet, Ancor Double Ratchet, HFT Double Ratchet (steel plate dies), Pro's Kit Double/Single Crimper, AMP T-Head (Blue & Red Terminals), AMP (Yellow Terminals)

Feb 6, 1998
I think picture shows the Ancor Single Ratchet to the right of the Pro's kit, but doesn't mention it. If I am correct then I believe the list should read,

"From L to R: The Stripper, Klein Cut/Crimp/Strip, HFT Double Ratchet, Ancor Double Ratchet, HFT Double Ratchet (steel plate dies), Pro's Kit Double/Single Crimper, Ancor Single Ratchet , AMP T-Head (Blue & Red Terminals), AMP (Yellow Terminals)"

NOT
Noted & edited.. Thanks..!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Went to sailors solution and the crimper is out of stock :-(

I guess chewing gum will do for now :)

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Hi Maine,

Just curious if you have access to a Morris 54484 (crimper) or 54499 (kit w/dies) or the seemingly identical Neiko KY-8161?

Here are the links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ALK486...TF8&colid=30AAU9ZFA8EII&coliid=I1MYTR0DFGN865

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GCFQRW...TF8&colid=30AAU9ZFA8EII&coliid=I1J7R4RAZ8HY24

They have a parallel action like the AMP tools, though the jaw clamping axis is the same as the handle clamping axis rather than perpendicular to it. As a result, the head is pretty bulky. On the other hand, they're very affordable and might be a good option, assuming they make a decent crimp.

Feb 6, 1998
Hi Maine,

Just curious if you have access to a Morris 54484 (crimper) or 54499 (kit w/dies) or the seemingly identical Neiko KY-8161?

Here are the links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ALK486...TF8&colid=30AAU9ZFA8EII&coliid=I1MYTR0DFGN865

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GCFQRW...TF8&colid=30AAU9ZFA8EII&coliid=I1J7R4RAZ8HY24

They have a parallel action like the AMP tools, though the jaw clamping axis is the same as the handle clamping axis rather than perpendicular to it. As a result, the head is pretty bulky. On the other hand, they're very affordable and might be a good option, assuming they make a decent crimp.
I don't have access to one but it look like a "sort of knock off" of the high quality German made Rennsteig tool. The problem with any of these is how the dies are and what the availability of them is? It's kind of a crap shoot with "knock off" crimpers...

The frame is only part of the equation the dies and die sizes are where the rubber meets the road.....

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
You're way ahead of me but I've got four, including an Ancor, so I'm not eager to expand the collection!

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
For $36.00 it might be worth trying and reporting back on... ??

I already have too many crimp tools to buy yet another....:eek:
Turns out that we needed an RJ-11/45 crimper at work so I ordered the Morris set with 5 dies. When it comes in, I'll be happy to test it. I have access to Ancor terminals and Ancor's 12 gauge wire but to control the experiment better, I'd like to use the same AMP terminals and wire you did. I'll look for them in the Seattle area but f you want to send me some wire and terminals, I could crimp them up and send them back for testing. I could also make some crimps with my Ancor crimper as a control against your Ancor crimps.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Whoops, just re-read your test protocol and see that you used Ancor terminals, so we're good there. Fisheries Supply here in Seattle doesn't sell Berkshire wire, just Ancor, Almo, and Cobra.

Feb 6, 1998
Whoops, just re-read your test protocol and see that you used Ancor terminals, so we're good there. Fisheries Supply here in Seattle doesn't sell Berkshire wire, just Ancor, Almo, and Cobra.
Berkshire no longer sells Berkshire marine wire, unfortunately!! It's all "AWG" anyway so should be close..

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Berkshire no longer sells Berkshire marine wire, unfortunately!! It's all "AWG" anyway so should be close..
Okay, I'll make some crimps and send them to you for testing. How long a tail do you need for your load cell?

ekim

Mar 17, 2014
tbd 0 tbd
I got the FTZ style ratchet crimper, but I'm a little confused. It's way easier to make a crimp with it vs my $5 multi function crimp tool. However, when I do a pull test (with the cheap lugs I already had and intend to replace) the cheap tool seems to always win. It seems as if with the cheap tool the dies will close all the way around the terminal and the diameter of the crimp is smaller.

My unscientific pull test is to put a ring terminal on each end of a 2foot piece of wire and then attach a vice grip on each end and see which ring terminal pulls out first.

Should I be reserving judgement until I can test with the better terminals?

Last edited:

ekim

Mar 17, 2014
tbd 0 tbd
Here are some photos:

Note that the dies on the top (new/better) one don't mate up except at the very end - but maybe that's by design?

Here's the profile of the two tools in 12-10 splice. The better tool has the wider, but shallower crimp: