Cracks on cabin roof around mast step/plate Com-Pac 23

Aug 27, 2022
Com-Pac Yachts Com-Pac 23 1982 Nashua
Has anyone seen cracks in the gel coat around the mast step on the cabin roof? I just got the boat from a friend and noticed after a good washing that the cabin roof had cracks. The underside within the cabin is unblemished and there isn't any evidence of water around the mast step bolts in the cabin. I have stood on the roof around the base, it appears solid enough (I am about 220 lbs). I was going to:
1) Remove the mast step
2) Repair the gel coat cracks
3) Add a plate to the roof and underside (in the cabin) and resecure the mast step. Obviously I will water proof the plate on the roof thoroughly upon attachment.

Does anyone see a flaw in my plan?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not familiar with the details of the ComPac23 design. Pictures help.

It is good that you feel the deck is sound.
Standing on the deck and not falling through is good. Better is to tap on the deck to see if there has been separation of the fiberglass from the core. Most boats of old ( not sure of your new free boat) had decks of fiberglass (FRP) wrapped around a core of plywood, foam, or balsa. The FRP will separate from the wood when water intrudes and the core can rot when it is really bad. This is important to know in that cracks in the gel coat can be signs that the underlying structure has been weakened.

I would include in you plan an inspection of the structure holding up the roof of the cabin, an keel base used to support the mast or compression posts. And the way that the deck supports the mast base.

Aug 27, 2022
Jssailem, I had planned to do the tapping test today, I am on my way to the boat now. As far as I know, Com-Pac doesn't use a compression post, there is an interior bulkhead I believe, I will get a pic while there. The only other area of concern for me is the cockpit, the boat sat uncovered for years and I believe the cockpit drains got plugged and it turned into an ice rink in the winter (I am in New Hampshire). The entire transom end of the cockpit decking is not safe. I was planning on getting into the space and taking some pics... first thought is to get a piece of marine ply and bolt it to the underside to shore it up and then fiberglass the entire cockpit deck. That was one idea. Second idea is to FRP it to keep it from getting worse and then install a wood cleat all the way around backed by a metal plate and drop a wooden deck or combing onto that. Other than those two items, the hull is sound and the interior just needs some TLC. There are some minor things like hatch covers that have cracked and rigging that needs replacement, nothing major. Boat is still in production and all parts are readily available.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
you will find that com-pac yachts 727 443 4408 in FL will answer your design questions and help you in your restoration of this fine boat. also check the Facebook com pac yachts group. there was a post quite recently about a fix similar to what you are thinking of doing. when I was looking for a catboat, I chose an old mistreated poorly maintained com pac. and Gerry, the president of com pac , has been tremendously helpful with suggestions of how to get her back to Bristol.

Aug 27, 2022
you will find that com-pac yachts 727 443 4408 in FL will answer your design questions and help you in your restoration of this fine boat. also check the Facebook com pac yachts group. there was a post quite recently about a fix similar to what you are thinking of doing. when I was looking for a catboat, I chose an old mistreated poorly maintained com pac. and Gerry, the president of com pac , has been tremendously helpful with suggestions of how to get her back to Bristol.
I have been working with Com-Pac (hatches are junk and the standing and running rigging is 40 years old and also in poor condition). I hadn't thought of a Facebook group but I will go there now. Basically, the gel coat is cracked around the mast step but I have dremeled out the cracks and nothing goes through the fiberglass, it hasn't delamed, so it is all basically cosmetic. I would hazard to guess one of the former owners didn't have correct tension on the standing rigging and there was likely a bit more movement to the mast then there should have been. The boat needs some cosmetic work around the topside fiberglass, no big deal. The areas of concern for me are a spot on the port side rear of the keel where a section of fiberglass has delaminated and some severe damage in the cockpit decking, about the last foot or so is broken badly. Boat sat uncovered through 14 New England Summers and Winters. I have a plan for both areas. Rest of the hull is solid as is everything else... worst case I'll make a mold of the back half of the cockpit deck and fashion an insert or outright replacement. Thanks for the idea! Heading to FC now.