CQR Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Elmore

I'm in the market this spring for a CQR anchor/rode. Anyone have a good recommendation for CQR weight and chain/rode size to hold a C28 sailed in Lake Michigan? Windward Hull came with a Danforth and no chain at all. It's probably 20lbs. I need to fix that. Thanks, Mike Elmore Chicago, IL Windward Hull-C28 Hull #7

R

R. Palaia

25 lb. CQR

A 25 pounder should do it. Check to see if it will fit your anchor roller, because the "swivel" joint is kind of wide at that point and may not slide onto the roller smoothly. Chain length sould be about 1/2 the length of your boat (about 15 feet). Based on the depths you will be anchoring in, figure on a target scope of 7:1. The Annapolis Book of Seamanship has good chapters on anchor requirements for boat types. Roc

G

Gene Foraker

CQR

The Danforth might not be that bad with 10 ft. of chain on it. As for the CQR, Eric Hiscock used to always say "there is no CQR lighter than 35 lb.". By that he meant that CQR requires weight to set and the models less than 35 lb. don't have enough weight to set reliably. With chain on it, this anchor could be a pain without a windless and may be difficult to store on your boat. Reconsider the Danforth or maybe a Fortress.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Go for the CQR

while it depends onthe kind of weather/bottoms you commonly anchor in, I prefer an anchor that sets better over one that holds better. Seems to me that most dragging is caused by a bad set; not 40 knots of wind in the anchorage! Danforths are considerably harder to set than the CQR. The West Marine catalog has a good section on choosing an anchor, including sizing the anchor, chain, ad rode. It's the best and most efficient writing I've seen on the subject.

K

Kevin

CQR or not

I've used Bruces, Danforths and CQR's and they all do well. But do not scrimp on the amount and quality of chain you use. This will be the determining factor in how well any anchor stays set. Use as much as you can handle and make sure the links and linkages from rode to chain fit through your bow roller. It will make life much more comfortable for you. Good luck with your 28MkII, we love ours

R

Richard

what is the bottom type?

If you plan to anchor in loose sand then a heavy danforth or fortress is likely your best bet. If it is hard sand then a plow, bruce, cqr, etc is fine. If it is mud then a fortress, etc. Choose your anchor based upon the bottom type. Find the proper size one for your boat then go larger if you can afford it and store it. You can never have too much chain unless you can't lift it. I use a simpson laurence (cheap bruce version) and 50 feet of heavy chain if I want to sleep soundly. I can't lift much more by hand unless I am anchored in very shallow water. I also have 200 feet of rhode.

M

Mike Elmore

my bottom type

The bottom type by me is mostly mud. The michigan side of Lake Michigan is sandy, but by me in Chicago it is mud, crashed planes, shipwrecks, old shoes, etc... I imagine it is like that all the way up the Wisconsin shore also, although I haven't studied it up there (charts on the wrapped boat too). =( Mike Elmore

M

Mike Elmore

Difference between Danforth/Fortress?

What is the difference between a danforth and fortress anchor? Unless I am mistaken which happens a bit, the both appear fluked about the same. Sorry about the ton of questions, but I'm really a landlover recently turned salt. Only a summer of daysails under my belt. Mike Elmore

M

Mike Elmore

no cleat in anchor locker

I'm also remembering while scanning the West Marine Online Store, that there is no cleat in the anchor locker. This could make it hard to hold an anchor on the bow roller and harder to hold one while in use! Has anyone added one? Is there enough strength in the glass encompassing the anchor locker to keep a cleat under that kind of load? Just use the bow cleats when the anchor is deployed...or add one in the box? I imagine if it was designed for that they would have added a $12 cleat there in manufacture... Mike (again =)

J

John Manfredi

CQR, Delta, technical article

Dock walking in Anacortes,Wa shows the CQR25 and Delta 22 most commonly used plow anchors on sailboats under 34'. Excellent technical article on anchors can be found at: http://people.enternet.com.au/ Once there add on: ~dulgru.dmp1.htm Be careful to enter letter l and number 1 correctly.

M

Mike Amirault

Anchor locker cleat

My 28 mkII has a cleat in the anchor locker that seems to be strong enough to hold the line. I guess it's an addition from earlier model 28's. Mike

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Your anchor is fine

Mike, Your danforth is just fine for lake Michigan. You won't be anchoring out in the lake anyway, right?? You will be in where it is protected almost always, at least that's been my experience the last 12 years or so and a danforth does fine. I would put on a 10 foot hunk of chain. Unless you just want one (CQR) go and try what you have now for a few weeks and see if it and you feel ok. I'm usually tied to a wall or in a marina or well inside an inlet for over nite stays and only anchor out in the lake when swiming or taking a walk on some beach. Mike Silverthorne WD9EOU C-38 Michigan City, IN

D

Don Hall

Difference between Fortress and Danforth

Both are fluke type anchors and have essentially the same holding power for the same fluke size. The Fortress is an aluminum alloy that is lighter and supposedly stronger that the Danforth for a given fluke size.

C

Charlie

anchors away

I not going to talk about which anchor id best because there are many articles and books that can do a better job. Last year I decided that a plow type anchor might be better in my area. Kelp beds, mud, ledge and some sand. After reading all those books and articles I just mentioned I decided on a Delta even though the holding power between it and the CQR was a couple hundred pounds less, and the price was about half. The thing that almost sunk me was the length of the plow blade from the shank to the tip, which I never gave much thought. Well when I installed the anchor the tip ended up around 1 inch from the gel coat. Yes I have an anchor roller and I thought it stuck out a good distance. As it turns out I had to keep a strain on the shank which pulled the tip away from the bow. If I had bought a larger anchor it would not have fit. Be careful what you ask for. The Danforth with two tips straddles the bow. Chalie

Status
Not open for further replies.