Covid-19 Vaccination

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............So, I'm thinking of buying some cigarettes and when someone comes up and insists they don't have to get vaccinated or don't have to wear a mask or don't have to social distance I'll light up a butt and blow smoke in their face. If they object well, at least they know I'm blowing smoke in their face. How am I supposed to know if you are blowing Covid in my face?
dlochner......that is really clever!!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In NY you must have a certain set of vaccinations or you will not be allowed to attend school. Recently those rules have been tightened with some exemptions eliminated.

So, I'm thinking of buying some cigarettes and when someone comes up and insists they don't have to get vaccinated or don't have to wear a mask or don't have to social distance I'll light up a butt and blow smoke in their face. If they object well, at least they know I'm blowing smoke in their face. How am I supposed to know if you are blowing Covid in my face?
It’s NY - can’t justify anything there nor do I want to try. I was merely pointing out the reality.
I infer you don’t like the message so revert to attacking the messenger. I don’t bother with people who do that.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It’s NY - can’t justify anything there nor do I want to try. I was merely pointing out the reality.
I infer you don’t like the message so revert to attacking the messenger. I don’t bother with people who do that.
Don, had nothing to do with the messenger. It was simply a statement of fact, in NY a certain set of vaccinations are required in order to attend school. Other states may have other requirements.

Regarding the somewhat tongue in cheek response about smoking, it is from a real life example. In our social group we have one person who refuses to get a vaccine, but seems to expect the same treatment within the group as those who have been vaccinated. That person's right (and I'm not certain it is a right) to remain unvaccinated does not supersede the rest of the group's right to live in a healthy environment. That is the same fundamental argument for restricting smoking in public places. You want to smoke, fine smoke, just don't do it where others who don't want to be exposed to a carcinogen are. By the same logic, if someone doesn't want to get a vaccine, fine, just don't expect to be allowed in the same places where people who have been vaccinated are.

Blowing smoke in someone's face was simply a graphic demonstration of how the virus spreads. I've never met anyone who likes having smoke blown in their face (or elsewhere) and I doubt anyone would want aerosolized viruses blown in their face either. The big difference is smoke is visible, aerosolized virus isn't.

Sep 25, 2008
Don, had nothing to do with the messenger. It was simply a statement of fact, in NY a certain set of vaccinations are required in order to attend school. Other states may have other requirements.

Regarding the somewhat tongue in cheek response about smoking, it is from a real life example. In our social group we have one person who refuses to get a vaccine, but seems to expect the same treatment within the group as those who have been vaccinated. That person's right (and I'm not certain it is a right) to remain unvaccinated does not supersede the rest of the group's right to live in a healthy environment. That is the same fundamental argument for restricting smoking in public places. You want to smoke, fine smoke, just don't do it where others who don't want to be exposed to a carcinogen are. By the same logic, if someone doesn't want to get a vaccine, fine, just don't expect to be allowed in the same places where people who have been vaccinated are.

Blowing smoke in someone's face was simply a graphic demonstration of how the virus spreads. I've never met anyone who likes having smoke blown in their face (or elsewhere) and I doubt anyone would want aerosolized viruses blown in their face either. The big difference is smoke is visible, aerosolized virus isn't.
I understand the metaphor. What that has to do with the substance of my comment is what escapes me (many things do that).
If a Covid or any other vaccination is a requirement in NY, I’m surprised given the many and varied reasons people have to avoid them and likely don’t apply to anything other than public schools.
To my point, Covid 19 vaccinations cannot not be required legally.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
we achieve high levels of childhood vaccinations because vaccinations are required for school attendance.
These are with vaccinations that have 13 plus years of testing and research.

COVID vaccine has what 14 months of testing before receiving an emergency use permit. Long term data and affects are unknown. The manufacturer’s have received a waiver of responsibility for any issues. That sure supports confidence.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you have been vaccinated why would you care if your neighbor has not been? You are immune to the virus. Some people wear seatbelts, some do not. Some people wear helmets on bicycles, some do not. Some people wear life jackets while sailing, some do not.

Jan 11, 2014
I understand the metaphor. What that has to do with the substance of my comment is what escapes me (many things do that).
If a Covid or any other vaccination is a requirement in NY, I’m surprised given the many and varied reasons people have to avoid them and likely don’t apply to anything other than public schools.
To my point, Covid 19 vaccinations cannot not be required legally.
I read your initial statement about requiring vaccines as meaning vaccines in general, not covid specifically. No, in NY Covid vaccines are not mandatory, however some colleges will require the vaccine in order to return to college. Some employers will require the vaccine. Hospitals require immunity to a number of diseases and require vaccines if you do not have immunity.

The legality of the state requiring vaccines is only limited by the emergency use authorization. On the other hand, any non-state organization can deny access based on being unvaccinated so long as they don't discriminate against people based on race, creed, gender, or sex. A number of colleges plan on requiring covid vaccines this fall.

Jan 11, 2014
These are with vaccinations that have 13 plus years of testing and research.

COVID vaccine has what 14 months of testing before receiving an emergency use permit. Long term data and affects are unknown. The manufacturer’s have received a waiver of responsibility for any issues. That sure supports confidence.
Well, mRNA research has been going on for over 20 years with the goal of being able to quickly produce vaccines for novel pathogens and treatments for various diseases. Seems like the research paid off.

The "waiver of liability" is not specific to the Covid Vaccine, it is a federal law passed in 2005. And while you can't sue the Feds or the Companies, congress also set up 2 programs to provide compensation for those who suffer adverse side effects from vaccine testing. Undoubtedly there are some loopholes that do allow for a court remedy, in one article I scanned, it was suggested that liability was limited to adverse effects from the vaccine and not from some other related cause, such as negligent manufacturing of the vaccine.

See the article posted below.

If you have been vaccinated why would you care if your neighbor has not been? You are immune to the virus. Some people wear seatbelts, some do not. Some people wear helmets on bicycles, some do not. Some people wear life jackets while sailing, some do not.
There are a several reasons that we all should care about the privileges unvaccinated people have.

First, the vaccines are not 100% effective, there remains a small possibility of infection after being vaccinated. Increased exposure increases the risk.

Second, unvaccinated people are more likely to contract the disease and the more people who have the disease the more opportunities there are for variants which are immune to the vaccine.

Third, it is about fairness and equity. Those of us who have been vaccinated bore the risk of the vaccine, suffered (the albeit mild) consequences of getting the vaccine, and took personal responsibility for helping to curtail the pandemic. Why should someone who has done of this and who poses an ongoing public health risk be afforded the same privileges as those who have?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think vaccines (in general, whether COVID or not) are more of a public impacting matter than a personal choice on seatbelts or helmets. For better or worse decisions are being made based on infection rates, which will only drop substantially once enough people are vaccinated. I want my kids back in school full time, for example. I want my yacht club to begin having socials after races without any restrictions. These things will only be possible if enough people are vaccinated. There are also people that truly can’t get vaccinated for health reasons, and they only way to protect them is for the community around them to be protected.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
...There are a several reasons that we all should care about the privileges unvaccinated people have.

First, the vaccines are not 100% effective, there remains a small possibility of infection after being vaccinated. Increased exposure increases the risk.

Second, unvaccinated people are more likely to contract the disease and the more people who have the disease the more opportunities there are for variants which are immune to the vaccine.

Third, it is about fairness and equity. Those of us who have been vaccinated bore the risk of the vaccine, suffered (the albeit mild) consequences of getting the vaccine, and took personal responsibility for helping to curtail the pandemic. Why should someone who has done of this and who poses an ongoing public health risk be afforded the same privileges as those who have?..
Well said @dlochner. The part I put in boldface is the part that worries me, but the irony of the last paragraph is unfortunate, especially when so much of our cultural discussion these days is about fairness and equity.

Mankind is arrogant enough to believe it is the apex species on the planet. This is a sadly mistaken belief. The apex species is an as-yet-unknown microbe that will be successful because mankind cannot understand that my mask is for you, and your mask is for me.

Jan 11, 2014
Mankind is arrogant enough to believe it is the apex species on the planet. This is a sadly mistaken belief.
The deadliest animal on earth is a mosquito because it is a vector for many diseases, including malaria, dengue fever, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and others.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My father is eighty-five. He has heart disease and is currently undergoing treatment for multiple Myeloma. He has had his vaccination as well as my mother. My wife and I have also had it as well as both our children, but neither of my brothers are interested in getting vaccinated. One is living with my parents to help out. He is a possible vector for someone who is doing all he can to not get Covid, but has no immune system to help. Unvaccinated visitors, store employees and customers all represent a risk to my parents.

-Will

• Wow

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My father is eighty-five. He has heart disease and is currently undergoing treatment for multiple Myeloma. He has had his vaccination as well as my mother. My wife and I have also had it as well as both our children, but neither of my brothers are interested in getting vaccinated. One is living with my parents to help out. He is a possible vector for someone who is doing all he can to not get Covid, but has no immune system to help. Unvaccinated visitors, store employees and customers all represent a risk to my parents.

-Will
It's a tragedy unfolding here, Will. I worry about your Dad.

I went to check on 'Darren' who's installing flooring on a project I'm overseeing. Just getting out of my truck I quickly grabbed a mask, and called, "Let me get a mask on, Darren"

He quickly calls back to me, "Oh, I ain't afraid of it! I figure I survived 911,.."(Wha?..from Warren Maine?).

Luckily, this is a rare occurrence for me here in my county. 90% of us over 65 are completely vaccinated. Almost 60% of us over 18 are fully vaccinated.

We're serious here, we mean to stop Covid-19 deaths that take the most vulnerable.

I'm fully vaccinated, my whole family is fully vaccinated(even 2 - 20 somethings). But I did just get a warning that morning from another nimrod,...Jody, who warned me he was near somebody that tested positive and he was getting tested.

So I kept my mask on for Darren. I could have tried to explain to Darren, that I'd just been near someone that tested positive. Darren doesn't understand that, I kept the mask on for his benefit.

I wanted to say to these guys, "Ok, don't wear a mask, don't get a vaccine! Why don't you both move to Ruby Ridge for chrissakes!!!".... But I need them both, desperately right now, and they're good guys.

We're running a race here in Knox County Maine. The vaccinated number is climbing right alongside the positivity rate. It's high risk here. Those of us that are vaccinated aren't testing positive.

So although the CDC has relaxed mask-wearing, and most of us are enjoying events - without masks - with friends and family who are fully vaccinated,...

...I'll wear the goddamn mask for Darren and Jody.

Except when I'm out here.

Alden at Mystic Seaport 2.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Tom:
Was Darren's brother Darren there also? Oh wait, I guess it was Darryl and his brother Darryl....:)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...I'll wear the goddamn mask for Darren and Jody.
Some people are just clueless

I was out on a walk the other day. An older man walking a dog was approaching me and over taking him was a young couple. The couple had on masks (the older man did not). I stepped off the sidewalk into the lawn to make room for the couple (and older man w/dog) and I slipped my mask on. The couple passed and then the older man walked up on me and started teasing me for being afraid. He said "What is a big strong guy like you afraid of?" and kept going on like that.

I just smiled and walked on. I've had COVID and was mostly assymptomatic. And I had the vaccine ... I wasn't afraid... I was being responsible.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just look at the numbers.
Puerto Rico is about the same land area as Connecticut with a similar population density. PR takes their Covid restrictions seriously. Everyone wears masks and they wear them for real, not just over the mouth. Every store has a sign and hand sanitizer and someone at the door taking temperatures. Their numbers are among the best in the World.

Following the suggested guidelines clearly makes a difference.

-Will

Sep 25, 2008
This irony surprised me:
Had lunch with my wife at a local eatery today. When we arrived, all the outside tables were full so we ate inside (also full except for 2 tables). I was facing the front and had a full view of everyone both inside and out. The only 2 people wearing a mask (while sitting at their table) were outside.

It’s one thing to be prudent but some tend to the extreme.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Based on the new CDC guidelines, masks are not required in doors, if you have been vaccinated. My work made the announcement today and the masks came off. Currently 70% of our workforce has been completely vaccinated. We were told to still be cautious of high risk activities, but we are cleared for normalcy. So party like its 2019.