Cover pic? Really?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Tons of things I don't like about that picture.

Wanna know what I like the least?

The woman is driving.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Me too! Enlighten us. I think an image of a women driving a sailboat is alluring.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I dont have a problem with the photo or the boat, and she is cruising Maine, which, as someone else has pointed out, we spend 50% of the time on the motor if you want to get somewhere.
I hope Jackdaw is joking about his comment on women driving

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I dont have a problem with the photo or the boat, and she is cruising Maine, which, as someone else has pointed out, we spend 50% of the time on the motor if you want to get somewhere.
50% on a good cruise....:(

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wow!! And I thought you would be woke...
That picture is not 'woke' at all. It's faux-woke.

That boat is motoring. in flat water. in the middle of nowhere.

And so for photo time, they say 'lets have the lady take the wheel. that's SO woke'.

Hand-driving in the middle of the ocean under diesel power? We call that being 'chained to the wheel'. No decent sailor would be doing that, she would have the AP on and cocktail in her hand. At least EVERY woman sailor I know would.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
funny thread. dave, great photo. helm's lady has her eyes outside the boat. as it should be. looks comfortable. could drive a 4 hour watch.

tom? your helm's lady looks so uncomfortable it hurts to look at the picture. ????

clay, enjoyed your humor :clap:

my opinion: the cover photo sucks. as shania twain sang: "that don't impress me much":

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Ok you magazine editor wanna-bees, show us the photo you would use. Below are your guidelines from GOB:

COVER AND SCENIC PHOTOS
  • Cover photos must be vertical format, have plenty of space at the top, and be extra-large hi-res format (approximately 2700 x 3600 pixels or 9 x 12 inches at 300 dpi).
  • We do like good old boats in scenic settings either at anchor or sailing. We also like to show the people aboard and would like to see more covers submitted that show the sailors aboard having a good time.
  • Check several previous issues for examples. Also check other magazines for examples of high-quality nautical photos. Excellent composition is very important.
  • Be imaginative. Think outside the nautical box.
  • Even if you don’t have an article to go with it, a, good cover image is always cheerfully received and considered.
  • We don’t print racing photos or wooden boats on our covers. Those confuse potential subscribers about what our magazine’s all about.
If we get a good one we'll submit to GOB. :)

May 25, 2012
that said tom, after all my years at sea i do know when a photo or painting looks real. a lot of paintings don't look real to me.
the cover photo to me looked awkward for sure. unattractive

May 25, 2012
i also understand they are not marketing anything towards me. they really have nothing to offer me.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
tom? your helm's lady looks so uncomfortable it hurts to look at the picture. ????

Jon:
Have you ever done any sailing in Maine? I have seen that look on my wife many times when we were threading our way through a tight lobster pot field in a breeze :)
There is no way to do that without a really serious, concentrating, peering look on the helm.......

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
1615037037449.png

Jon:
Have you ever done any sailing in Maine? I have seen that look on my wife many times when we were threading our way through a tight lobster pot field in a breeze :)
There is no way to do that without a really serious, concentrating, peering look on the helm.......
That and she's just 5' tall so she so has one foot on each seat locker so she can see over the dodger.

But most of all, she's watching me on the foredeck (a friend took this shot sailing alongside). If I go over, she'll dive in I swear. That is the look of true love.

May 25, 2012
rick, yes. my honeymoon was aboard aeolus sailing penopscot bay after my vows were said on the shore at blue hill.
i presupposed that tom would take no offense from my harshness.
it's not about her focus. it's about her body position. not natural. hunched over. every muscle will be aching in no time. quickly tiring. a tired, sore helmsman won't do a good job at all or enjoy themselves. obviously tom's helm's lady is standing on the seats, then hunched over to be able to grab the wheel. a helmsman needs to be relaxed, comfortable to do their best job. i have the same cockpit as tom. molich built alden. i would tell a driver to stand down on the cockpit deck so to keep them comfortable so to do their best job. if the dodger is blocking the view, put it down.

being focused at the helm is important. being comfortable is paramount to keeping focused. that's all :cool: