Cover pic? Really?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I get all that. But the magazine is supposed to be aspirational, and there is NOTHING aspirational about that picture. It's not good sailing. It is not even good boating. And it's not a good photograph.
Your version of sailing centers on racing, yet most sailors are not interested in racing and probably most find the idea of racing somewhere between silly and completely counter to why they go boating (notice I did not say sailing). Probably most racers have little interst in GOB-type DIY articles.

I like both.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Your version of sailing centers on racing, yet most sailors are not interested in racing and probably most find the idea of racing somewhere between silly and completely counter to why they go boating (notice I did not say sailing). Probably most racers have little interst in GOB-type DIY articles.

I like both.
I cruise all the time. I still think it’s a terrible photo and an even more terrible cover.

Billy Black? Know him. JH Peterson? Good friend. Both would be embarrassed to call that pic theirs. No way it’s a professional photo.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So I’m going to ask what is probably a dumb question ( not my first rodeo).

How do you know the engine is on just by looking at the photo?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace

What catches my eye is that the main is totally flat - no wind in it at all. So either the picture was taken mid-tack or she’s motoring. Waves look like the wind is coming from the aft starboard quarter, so not mid-tack.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
99% of world population don't know anything about sail trim there was a tv commercial for a razor or something where they had a sailboat go by with miss matched trim. I'd change channel every time I think it's a impulsive compulsive thing

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

The jib is rolled up, the photo shows a bow wake, the main is centered, and the instruments show she is moving. We can't really tell what the instruments are displaying, my guess is boat speed = 4.2, apparent wind direction = 103, and apparent wind =3.4.

1614947593492.png

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
99% of world population don't know anything about sail trim there was a tv commercial for a razor or something where they had a sailboat go by with miss matched trim. I'd change channel every time I think it's a impulsive compulsive thing
Its a sailing magazine so hopefully the people taking the pictures and those deciding what to publish do know....... :rolleyes:

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The jib is rolled up, the photo shows a bow wake, the main is centered, and the instruments show she is moving. We can't really tell what the instruments are displaying, my guess is boat speed = 4.2, apparent wind direction = 103, and apparent wind =3.4.

View attachment 191138
The tachometer and engine ignition key on the bridge deck appear to be in the run position. (I can't believe I posted on this thread). Please let spring come soon!!!!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The tachometer and engine ignition key on the bridge deck appear to be in the run position. (I can't believe I posted on this thread). Please let spring come soon!!!!
Yep, looks like it is running at about 2800 rpm. And spring can't come too soon. A blistering 21° out today.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Methinks a letter to the editor is in order.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Time for this thread to expire!
What happened to the “dead horse” emoji when you need it?
FYI, partly cloudy skies, 61, ENE winds@10 in Pensacola.....nice day. TGIF.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Methinks a letter to the editor is in order.
That's what I always say to the admiral. If it's important enough to complain about, it's worth taking your complaint to the source. Otherwise it's just noise.
I do like the sailing analysis of the picture posts.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Good Old Boat cover? Not sure why... but...leave it to North Sails to take the proper photos of Onne's boat. I watched Second Wind on PBS, incredible show about how he restored his boat. Ken Read was dismayed at the amount of work only a sailor could understand why one would take on such an immense project...I agree, after a refit like that I'd be hesitant to post any photo without the sails unfurled...especially since sail photography is his gig.

Attachments