Cover pic? Really?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Why good old boat magazine would use this picture on the cover, I have absolutely no idea.

F14907D6-1D8B-4A11-9C96-CFCD3E4E54ED.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It's Onne van der Wal's daughter motor sailing?

On the Cover
Sailor and photographer Onne van der Wal took this photo of Tenley van der Wal, his wife, at the helm of Snoek, their 1972 Pearson 36-1. To learn more about Snoek and two other Pearson 36 refits, see “Three Sisters” starting on page 38. For more on Onne, see Websightings, page 3.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They are trying to be woke and a blond wasp is the closest representative they could find to actual wokeness?:kick:

Jan 11, 2014
Maybe someone who is curious could email the editor and inquire. Share the thread, he'll read it. ;)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. It sycs with an article.
b. Many sailors are boaters, and that's valid too. The last time on of my dockmates saw me going out a blustery day he pointed out that I'm a sailor and he's a cruiser. And sometimes you motor because there is somewhere you need to be.

Nov 8, 2010
I get all that. But the magazine is supposed to be aspirational, and there is NOTHING aspirational about that picture. It's not good sailing. It is not even good boating. And it's not a good photograph.

Jan 11, 2014
I get all that. But the magazine is supposed to be aspirational, and there is NOTHING aspirational about that picture. It's not good sailing. It is not even good boating. And it's not a good photograph.
Send your comments to Michael Robertson, I'm sure he'll respond.

Nov 8, 2010
Send your comments to Michael Robertson, I'm sure he'll respond.
I have no desire to do that. They have their reasons, probably good ones from their perspective.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
On the best cruise I ever had in my life, in local waters, we sailed only 50% of the time. The remainder of the underway time was motor sailing, or just plain motoring. Summer winds are typically flat to light in the morning, gradually building during the afternoon, and begin the "5 o'clock hurricane" just then. Such is a thermal driven prevailing breeze. That wind sequence is not conducive to leaving one harbor for the next stop, and having hook down by shower/cocktail time. Of course summer storms and Fall fronts change everything. Not complaining, believe me, just describing life on the southern New England coast.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why good old boat magazine would use this picture on the cover, I have absolutely no idea.
I agree. It was the worst of all the pictures in the article. And it was a really lame poorly written article, too.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Perhaps, like the shoemakers kids, Onne takes a crappy photo of his own boat? :)

Just kidding. Look at the photo, there could be clues: First, the cover leads with Pearson 36-1. But they need an image of a 36 that will fit their vertical format. This is good, the narrow-angle of the boat from the stern.

Then they need a background for GOOD OLD BOAT that will let the letters stand out. They cropped the image so the name lands, just over the horizon, in a light background. This is key.

And last but not least (likely the most important point, in fact), GOB likes people sailing (ok, motor sailing) on their covers.

Onnes boat .jpg

This was no photo shoot though,...

There's a pair of cheap sunglasses, an ancient Iphone 6 (I have one) and a copy of Duncan Ware and Fenn cruising guide of Southern New England. Whoa,... is that outdated (I have one of those too).

But then there is the redeeming copy of Maine Boats Harbors, etc. That is a little old, Sep. 2016, and curiously the cover shot was by Mendlowitz.