Cost to own CAtalina 30

Sep 18, 2021
Catalina 30 None
I am considering buying an older CAtalina 30. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience on annual costs for maintaining a late 70's CAtalina. I would want to maintain it in good shape not defering maintenance. It will be a saltwater boat in the northwest. Thanks for any insights.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Depends entirely on the current condition of many things - hull, deck, hardware, electronics, engine, sails, all.of which we have no clue about. Consequently, the answer can range from minimal to astronomical Exceeding the hull value.
best advice I can offer is find someone you trust who is also an experienced old boat owner, not a broker. Also, surveyors aren’t always reliable sources of appraisal information.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Suggest creating a spreadsheet including:
  • Berthing - obtain 30 ft cost from the marina
  • Bottom cleaning (quarterly and depends on water condition) - obtain cost from your driver
  • Zincs (biannually and depends on water condition) - obtain cost from your driver
  • Insurance (annual) - obtain cost from your insurer
  • Hull waxing and stainless steel polishing and teak care (annual or biannual depending on how you like to keep it looking)- obtain cost from the boat detailer in your marina
  • Bottom antifouling paint - obtain cost from your boatyard and ammortize the cost over the life of the bottom paint, including haul-out cost
  • Personal property tax (annual) - obtain cost from your local tax agency
  • Registration or USCG documentation - obtain cost from state or USCG and amortize over its renewal frequency
  • Canvas replacement - obtain from your local canvas shop and ammortize cost over its life usually 10 years
  • Running rigging replacement - obtain from your local rigger and ammortize cost over its expected life usually 10+ years
  • Standing rigging replacement - obtain from your local canvas shop and ammortize cost over its life usually 10+ years
  • Canvas replacement - obtain from your local canvas shop and ammortize cost over canvas life
  • Fuel - depends on how much motoring you do to get to your sailing spot and back to your marina
  • Fuel stabilizer (every x gallons), pretty cheap
  • Battery replacement (every x years) - obtain price and amortize over life of the battery(s)
  • What did I miss?

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sails, electronics and all the little bits that need replacing.

Feb 21, 2013
Engine service/winterizing..
I just remembered that just before you posted. Assume no winterizing in WA but engine oil and filter change-out anually and coolant, raw water impeller and belt change-out and heat exchanger cleaning and other periodic engine service every x hours which can be easily done by the owner for very little cost.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I hope this will help you out. Just a guide for cost of New Replacement for those major things which wear out. I have used Catalina Direct which is not the lowest cost but can give you some in formation. All costs assume you do the labor yourself. The condition of the boat would obviously dictate which of these items are needed right away. Also, I assumed the engine is not in need of major repairs.

Catalina Direct items:
Double Lifelines replacement $688.00
Total Rigging replacement $988.00

Cajun Rope :
Complete running rigging $862.00

Sail Warehouse (Tasker Sails

Mainsail $ 1425.00 - $1995
Genoa 135 $1175 - $1945.00
Sailcover $314.00

Insurance, slip fees, taxes, bottom jobs, yard costs , canvas work Bimini, dodger etc. are geographic related costs.

Hope this helps

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
If you include berthing, maintenance will likely exceed the value of the boat within a few years considering a 1970's C-30 is ~$10K. Over the 10ish years I owned it my 1980 C-30 cost me at least 4x it's hull value in berthing and maint. (And I DIY everything but bottom paint)

I've never had a to-do list that had nothing on it.

If you are beholden to professionals for all work on the boat, A 1970's boat will remove money from your pocket at an astonishing rate.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @pastorscott to the SBO forum.

You raise an interesting first question. You say WA which implies Washington as a location. But you do not favor us with the actual location so the answers to your question are as many and varied as the question of religious beliefs...

@sail sfbay has given you a great start on a list of things to consider.

Ignoring the boat itself, Not improving it just maintaining it. You would have costs not much more than maintaining your car.
  • I would want to maintain it in good shape not deferring maintenance.
    • Look at the list of ideas above.
  • It will be a saltwater boat in the northwest.
    • If you can find a marina to berth it your cost for marina housing could range from $250 to $500 per month. My 35ft boat in Everett Marina averages $430 now. A little higher in winter when I heat the boat to prevent freezing or lower in summer. That puts the cost at about $12.30 per foot.
    • Finding a year round berth in Seattle can be problematic and expensive.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Only one cost to consider ................... moorage. Everything else is minor compared to that.

Cost for 31 ft. moorage in Vancouver, B.C. is $7,717.50/year (in Canadina pesos). Unfortunately, still a good chunk of change. Moorage increases at 2.0%/year. With all of the extras, about $10K/year.

1632162337999.png

Feb 21, 2013
.......Cost for 31 ft. moorage in Vancouver, B.C. is $7,717.50/year (in Canadina pesos)........
That cost makes San Francisco Bay marina berthing very reasonable at $7200 US including power with new docks and power and blocked from the wind. One would justify berthing the boat in the bay and fly back and forth.

Sep 18, 2021
Catalina 30 None
Thanks for the replies so far. I am in Whatcom County, so Blaine or Bellingham. I am aware of moorage costs. I am not looking for that. i am looking for actual costs to maintain on average each year. I appreciate @sail sfbay 's reply on things to consider. Can anyone give insight into the cost of those items in my area? I am pretty handy, though this would be a first boat that we would be considering. I have estimated some costs like Bottom paint ever 3 years at $2000, sails and rigging every 15 years at $13000, Haulouts at 350 per time. divers to clean bottom at $300/yr, misc maintenance not mentioned above at $100/mo. Are there other things, or do these costs seem really high or low?

Feb 21, 2013
........I have estimated some costs like Bottom paint ever 3 years at $2000, sails and rigging every 15 years at $13000, Haulouts at 350 per time. divers to clean bottom at $300/yr, misc maintenance not mentioned above at $100/mo. Are there other things, or do these costs seem really high or low?
Those estimated costs are reasonable and definitely not low. Might start an expense list including date, item, supplier/contractor/yard/etc., and $$. Suggested that to a new sailboat owner recently.............but added DO NOT ADD THEM UP. At a very minimum, the next owner will be impressed.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
divers to clean bottom at $300/yr
A bit overstated. My diver shows up 3 times a year. $1.35 per foot. That includes annual zinc replacement.

Bottom paint ever 3 years at $2000,
Is this with you doing the prep/painting or having it done for you? Does that include your Haul costs? Your stay on the hard costs?

Good paint (depending on brand) costs about $250 TO $350 per gallon (Fisheries Supply, Seattle)

sails and rigging every 15 years at $13000,
That is a reasonable number for a rigger to do the standing rigging and the cost of average sails (Main/Jib. Spinnaker? Racing sails?). Running rigging is a minor portion of that cost. Often new boat owners of a used boat spend that costs up front and then sell the boat before needing to do a replacement.

Are there other things, or do these costs seem really high or low?
  • Electronics
  • Hardware (i.e anchor system, winches, damage)
  • Software (i.e. cushions, bedding, cooking equipment, fenders)
  • I wants....?
  • Travel marina costs? (i.e. Point Hudson $50-60 per night)
  • Club membership costs (an elective about $150/yr avg... much more is possible)

Feb 21, 2013
$3/ft to clean the bottom and travel marina costs are $1.25 - 2.00/ft, $2500 - 3000 bottom painting (haul out and launch, pressure wash, machine sand old paint, 2 coats of paint application and paint depending on hard or ablative} in the San Francisco Bay, ~$1200/year for my wife and I at a full service yacht club or ~$100/year per person for a paper club for comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
That cost makes San Francisco Bay marina berthing very reasonable at $7200 US including power with new docks and power and blocked from the wind. One would justify berthing the boat in the bay and fly back and forth.
I would think moorage for a 31 ft. in your marina would be pocket change. Frequent flyer miles and any other perks and it might just work :p.

Jan 4, 2006
I have estimated some costs like Bottom paint ever 3 years at $2000
divers to clean bottom at $300/yr,
You can eliminate the divers and figure bottom painting to be much less based on these previous posting for the Pacific Northwest :

Depends on your location and choice of bottom paint.