Cost to own CAtalina 30

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
That's exactly why I'll be cancelling my moorage up here and sailing down your way next spring :wink3:............
32' slips lease for $344 per month at Brickyard Cove Marina Brickyard Cove Marina | Wet and Dry Slip Rentals and Commercial Office Space in Point Richmond, CA (bycmarina.com) ...... 2 minutes and you are sailing in the San Francisco Bay...........warm weather 70's - 80's over the next few weeks.........and did I say nice wind, blue sky and no rain April - November?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am considering buying an older CAtalina 30. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience on annual costs for maintaining a late 70's CAtalina. I would want to maintain it in good shape not defering maintenance. It will be a saltwater boat in the northwest. Thanks for any insights.
In addition to the very useful lists of costs and comments about the condition of the boat, ALOT of the costs will depend on what you can do yourself.

If you are a DIYer and can do much of the work yourself, it will save you a lot of money and you will learn a lot in the proces.

I have changed my own cutlass bearing, replaced my prop shaft and coupling, overhauled my stuffing box and hose, changed my own engine and transmission oil, pulled a water tank to fix a leaky fitting, replaced all of my above-the-water line thru hulls, replaced most of my running rigging, installed a Mack Pack, installed a Tides Marine Strong Track, replumbed my outside grill, rebuilt my toilet pump, replaced the toilet discharge lines…and more.

If I had to pay a yard to do all that, I don’t think the Admiral would let me keep the boat!

And I learned a ton about my boat in the process.

The 2 big ones to go are replacing the standing rigging and dropping the keel to rebed it.

So, good luck!

Oh, and I budget around $5,000-6,000 per year for normal expenses. I replaced the mainsail last year and that was not in the budget. I don’t owe any money on my good old boat, so no boat payment.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Getting past the Oregon Coast can't be all that bad, can it
Worry not... I'll set up the cannons off Clatsop Spit... Lewis and Clarke had a fort there in the day... We will great you as you sail past the "Grave Yard of the Pacific"...:yikes:

It will be a friendly cannon salute to mark your passage.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It will be a friendly cannon salute to mark your passage.
Not the way the newspaper archives will recount it.

Everything was going swimmingly as he sailed by, until that small round boulder was "somehow" dropped down the bore of the largest cannon. Things were never quite the same after that day :sosad:.

• Ha

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Don't do it. Buy something a lot newer even if you have to borrow to afford it. Buy something ready to sail comfortably as is. You will spend much more bringing a 70's boat up to acceptable standards than buying something already there. Ask me how I know.