Cost of Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl

I am planning to buy either a Catalina 310 or 320 and was wandering what to expect in annual upkeep costs (outside of obvious things like gas and slip fees). Is there a rough percentage of the overall cost of the boat (say 5% or 10% of the boat's cost) that I should expect to budget for? Please advise me.

B

Bob

Depends

Good question, no easy answer. Your costs will consist of routine engine maintenance, replacement or repair of sails and equipment, and how much you invest in additional equipment (dodger, autopilot, electronics, additional sails, etc.) If you live in an area that requires hauling for the winter your costs will be greater than if you don't. You need to factor in bottom painting on an annual or semi-annual basis. The cost of all maintenance, including bottom painting will be less if you do some or all of it yourself. A new boat will cost more in additional equipment but less in repairs and replacement. A major factor is how much you want to do vs. paying someone. Routine bottom cleaning by a diver will also add to the bill (about $1.50/ft in my area). Some people pay to have their boat washed on a weekly basis. Their costs are much higher than the average boat owner who enjoys doing thier own maintenance. I've never added it up, but for my C-30 about $1,200/yr seems about right, exclusive of major equipment additions or replacement. That's with me doing most of the work including some of the prep work for the bottom painting (every other year).

Status
Not open for further replies.