Cooler drain

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Last week I posted a tread about helping a friend bring a new to him boat on a maiden voyage. Well it is a 1998 27' Pearson, and I (we) cannot figure out how to drain the cooler. There is no easy access to the bottom to see if there is a shut off valve, and no switch for a electric drain pump.
Any thoughts? We didn't try the PO as he went on vacation and don't want to bother him unless we can't figure it out.
With all the experience on this forum I wanted to give the members a try.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
To ask the obvious question, Is there is a drain hole in the bottom of the cooler?
Poor some water in the cooler and see if it flows out. Some coolers simply drain into the bilge.
Look for a hand pump in a strange place near the cooler.
Does the sink drain have a "dishwasher tailpiece"? The hose leading away from the drain should take you back to the pump.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ours drains into the bilge as Dave described. Maybe the drain hole is plugged?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here you go.
Seasense Hand Bilge Pump w/ Hose
61ihZYR6jpL._SL1500_.jpg

Easy peasy. Buy from Amazon/Walmart or your favorite marine chandler.
Just call it your "Ice Box" pump when not using it in the bilge.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I plugged my ice box as it keeps cold longer without a hole to drain cold away

Oct 10, 2011
Thank for all the advice. Yes it does have a drain at the bottom, and I'll look for a foot or hand pump. I think I will give it a air horn blast to clear any plugged line.
I'll try all the suggestions tomorrow.

Oct 10, 2011
Went to the boat yesterday, there are no hand pumps or electric. Next step is to see if the drain is cloged.
We will have to remove some coverboards to see where the drain goes, but I think I'll advise my friend to contact the PO first.