Converting Loran Antenna to a VHF Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MJ

Hi Folks: I am losing my Apelco Loran in favor of a GPS, and I want to use its 5' whip antenna which is mounted to the stern rail as my VHF antenna. The cables for both are coaxial cables, but they may be slightly different. Any thoughts on the subject? MJ

C

Chris

condensation?

It could be condenstion, not a leak..... Especially, since you haven't had a problem in cold weather.... If the bots DO leak, I would not try to do anything with the boat in the water. (if nothing else, the sealant won't work while everything's wet..... I think I had the same problem and I put a bead of 5200 around the keel on the outside and removed each bolt and sealed it (actually, some bolts wouldn't come out, instead just the nut came off.... I don't know yet if it worked, as the boat hasn't been in the water since... Good Luck!

M

MikeY

Keel bolts

If I take a nut off with the boat in the water, will I be able to tighten them back up ? Do I need a wrench underneath too ? I think I can keep the bolt area dry enough for the 5200/4200 to dry. Some weeks it doesn't leak at all.

M

MikeY

Keel Bolts

Oh yes, If I only re-caulk the area in the cabin where the nuts are :+) then does that mean the area underneath will become full of water if I don't seal the hull/keel location ? So I really need to take the boat out of water, scrape all the sealant away, let water drain out, then re-caulk ?

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Keel bolts

I think you answered yourself! If water is in fact seeping from a keel to hull joint separation up into the bolt holes, sealing the holes only from the bilge side may indeed keep water out of your bilge, but it won't prevent sea water from sitting against the bolts within the bolt-holes, and, as we all know, stainless steel eventually rusts just as well as anything else exposed to sea water! For a proper job, I would take the boat out of the water, loosen the nuts a bit, throw some "Salt-Away" in there and let in seep into the bolt holes, rinse, let dry thoroughly, and then seal around the keel if that is where you eventually spot some separation.

M

MikeY

THX

THX for the help, I bought the boat in Nov, been in water ever since ! Is there a keel underneath ?

M

MikeY

One more !

ALso, how much water could be between the hull/keel/outside seal, and the inside/bilge/keelbolt seal ? Does the keel fit flush or is there a gallon of water in there ? In other words, if I seal the bilge/bolt area, how much water will be 'leaked; in up to that point ?

R

rich

leaky keel bolts?

It may not be your keel bolts leaking. check your rudder post bolts. mine were the cause of water in the bilge. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.