Converting in mast furling to traditional main

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hi folks, I have a friend here in Nova Scotia who really likes my B331, but is finding it hard to get one with a traditional main. Is it possible to convert in-mast furling to a traditional main?

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
In other words, forget it?? I thought you may be able to put a strong track in, but I guess not...he is quite well off though.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
If you can find a track, and I think there is likely something out there, it should work. There might be a problem of installing an extra halyard on the outside of the mast, as the in-mast has the main halyard in beside the foil.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Find a buyer for the in-mast system and apply the money to a new mast. Your friend might not have to pay much extra out of pocket for a comparable traditional new mast. You just need one of the same height that supports the same sail area with near matching stays. The largest cost will likely be the labor of removing the old mast and installing the new one. That won't be cheap, unless he has the ability to do it himself.
https://www.usspars.com/products/masts/
Masts are not cheap and finding a buyer for the current mast may not be easy. A salvaged boat may have what you're friends is looking for, but be aware that masts are fragile compared to most of the rest of a boat and hidden wear or damage could be a big problem with a used spar from a salvage.
There are a few masts and mast extrusions on ebay https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...sailboat+mast".TRS0&_nkw="sailboat+mast"
It seems a used 47' mast extrusion is selling for around $1800. Then there are the spreaders, head, foot, pulleys, cleats and plates to attach. It can be done. It just takes $ :puke:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I have been sailing for over 40 years. Would never buy another boat without in-mast furling. Yes, it might be slightly slower, but so much more enjoyable to get the main out and reef when needed.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My boat has in mast furling however the mast also has a track for a traditional main. The boom as well can be converted by simply removing the top track.... US spar 2095.

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Perhaps a call to someone from Beneteau might be worthwhile. Swap the rf mast for standard with another owner or factory perhaps.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Contact US Spars, they currently fabricate the masts for Beneteaus built in the States.
They should know if such a change can be made. It depends perhaps upon whether the extrusion starts out the same for a classic mast and a furling mast, or if it is a totally different die set.

When I bought my boat from dealer stock, it had a furling mast, and I wanted a classic. The dealer had another boat on order, and he had changed the order to include a classic mast so that the masts could be swapped. That also included a main sail swap and boom.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Adjacent to your sail slot should be a track for a traditional sail with luff tape. Invest your money in learning how to handle a furling main. Most sail schools use furling mains, how hard can it be?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
This is my mast... in mast furlering system US Spar. You can see that there is a track for a traditional mast. Boom is the same.

upload_2018-11-28_20-2-8.jpeg

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
Hi folks, I have a friend here in Nova Scotia who really likes my B331, but is finding it hard to get one with a traditional main. Is it possible to convert in-mast furling to a traditional main?
**It has been done. The Z500E mast has a built in track on the backside of the mast.
Mast comes out to remove all the furling gear, re-lead the halyard.
Biggest challenge is converting the old boom to jiffy or continuous reefing. And then leading lines aft to the cockpit. Could mean adding stoppers and the like, which means the headliner comes out.
Simplest way to go is single line clew reef with strap or gooseneck hooks at luff. This reduces the amount of lines (and hardware) led aft, but also means going forward to the mast when reefing.
And you'll need a new main of course. You gain about 43sqft in area in going to the classic main vs. the original non-battened main or about 10sft bigger than an Opti pram sail. So I'm guess performance isn't the driving the issue, but more about furling vs. slab reefing?
But, as mentioned it's been done.
Conversely, I have a customer right now converting a B45 std to an ICW rig. In this case they are getting a new tube from Zspar with hardware mounted...big job and requires a new main and a recut jib as well.
I share this, because if you are determined and have the budget and want, these kinds of things can be done!
Bob Pattison

Attachments

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Interestingly, my boat is a 1999 Catalina 310 and came with traditional mainsail. Previous owner replaced mast & rigging in 2006 to get IMF. Could not have been cheap to do that but I would not have bought the boat without it...
bob

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Whatever the cost of the conversion, likely the money could be better spent on really good sails purpose built for the roller furling main's mast. If the choice is replace/re-rig the mast and re-cut the old sail, versus put the money into a new main, (laminate. vertically battened) and keep the rig, I know where I'd spend my money.

Jul 8, 2005
Why does your friend want a traditional main? In mast furling is so much more fun unless racing is your thing I guess...

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Why does your friend want a traditional main? In mast furling is so much more fun unless racing is your thing I guess...

Probably because he feels as I do; that in- mast furling is more susceptable to jamming especially as the mainsail ages. Murphy would dictate that it only happens at the most inopportune time.
Its a matter of personal preference...

Jul 8, 2005
Probably because he feels as I do; that in- mast furling is more susceptable to jamming especially as the mainsail ages. Murphy would dictate that it only happens at the most inopportune time.
Its a matter of personal preference...
Doug, I am sure you are right. After I learned how to adjust the boom angle properly, my furling main does not jam. I would not buy another boat without it, but I agree with you that this is just personal preference.

Jul 19, 2013
beneteau 393 san francisco
Hi y'all
First thing I did when I got my 2003 393 was replace the in mast furling.
Put strongtrack on, wrapped the inner dowel with sailcloth so it wouldn't rattle, still use the inside halyard only ran it over the sheave to the outside.
Left the whole bloody contraption inside the mast, same mast same boom and a NEW full batten max roach main.
Have sailed with this setup for 4 years on SFBay and now down the coast in Mexico. No problems, works great.