Converting from dual to single engine control

Derek

Aug 20, 2018
Catalina 28MKII Paynesville
Hi all
Not sure if this has been covered or not. I have a Catalina 28MKII (which I love) but I do hate the dual controls so the magic question is has anyone converted to single control .

Cheers

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Although single may seem simple and appealing duel is more dependable and a simple design especially for an older motor

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's a discussion we had on ur C34 forum about singlehanding:

I would love to have a single lever morse control: I chartered a Jeanneau 35 (only reason- a C34 wasn't available) for a day with morse lever (single control for throttle and gearshift), Yanmar and saildrive. It made me look like a real expert docking into a slip with a foot to spare... Has anyone ever thought of modifying our controls to a single lever? Is it doable? Or maybe everyone loves our setup just as it is?

Tony

Actually Tony I prefer the dual levers. Coming down the fairway I set the rpms to 1000, cycle between F, N, R as needed. If additional thrust is needed apply a burst of throttle then back to 1000. With very little practice you can get very close to 1000 by ear not needing to look at the tach.

Sometimes current/wind will require a higher speed to get into the slip. The nice thing about the pre set spring line is that it will snug you against the finger pier as it stops forward movement, preventing smashing the bow into the dock

I've used the single lever on dockmate's Hunter with a conventional prop and dual single levers on saildrives on a chartered cat and felt like they were much more work. In my limited experience, once the shift mechanism get a worn, it is very hard to find N. Idle reverse, N, idle forward, all seem to be in the same position/detent. On the chartered cat, I physically had to pull the levers out to the neutral fast idle position to ensure the drives were disengaged.

Ken J

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hi all
Not sure if this has been covered or not. I have a Catalina 28MKII (which I love) but I do hate the dual controls so the magic question is has anyone converted to single control .

Cheers
Converted my daughter’s Catalina 30 to single lever. Since it has a tiller this makes control simple. Can even control it with your foot. I’ve had four sailboats, three with dual levers. My current boat a 2003, Hunter 466 is single lever. Worked flawlessly for 16 years. Would never go back to dual levers. But as with many items this could be a Ford Chevy issue.

Derek

Aug 20, 2018
As Mikem says a Ford Chevy issue or as we would say a Ford Holden issue ,love one hate the other. For me I have used the single control and find berthing a simple step. Dual control is adding an extra step that is not required as I sail solo most of the time the less steps the better, just my 2cents worth. Thanks for the above responses.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Believe it or not on my old Catalina 30, I really ended up liking the dual controls that were down by your feet. Essentially I became very comfortable docking "Captain Morgan style", leaving my hands completely free for steering. The dual controls mounted on my pedestal now are going to throw me for a loop, but then again we had the last boat for 25 years so habits are hard to break. The big question though is what am I supposed to do with my left foot when docking now?:biggrin:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My Hunter 280 had the single control. My O’Day 322 has dual controls.

The single was ok, but I prefer the dual controls.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
I guess I should add that if you really want the single control, you need a place to mount it, and new cables. All of the “magic” is in the control, and how it uses levers to control the 2 cables while allowing you to just move one lever. There is usually a way to “disengage” the transmission cable so you can rev up the motor independent of putting the tranny in gear.

Greg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I am also considering that conversion for this Spring's project. My history with dual lever controls is tainted by the fact that my previous boat had the forward/reverse lever backwards and my current boat has the throttle backwards. I am old and sometimes I forget. Not pretty.

Jan 7, 2011
I am also considering that conversion for this Spring's project. My history with dual lever controls is tainted by the fact that my previous boat had the forward/reverse lever backwards and my current boat has the throttle backwards. I am old and sometimes I forget. Not pretty.
I have to look down at the sticker on my transmission shifter once in a while just to make sure I remember which way is REVERSE. I haven’t plowed into the dock yet ;-)

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of threads on this subject on this site and cruisersforum like the ones below:

Suggest talking to Edson on what is needed to make this conversion to a side-mount single-lever engine control.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
When the original two lever control on my 1969 Columbia 36 broke I replaced it with a single lever Morse control. I like it a lot better. I ran into a snag though when I later repowered the boat with a used engine. The newer motor does not have a separate stop control, you shut it down by pulling the throttle lever all the way back. Well, you can't do that with a single lever control. To make it work I had to build a rather elaborate spring loaded slide mechanism that allowed the stop cable to pull the whole throttle cable back at the engine to shut it down. It works, but it is not elegant. If you have a separate stop lever on the engine, there should be no problem converting to a single control. It may even use the same cables.

Derek

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks for the replies .
I do have a seperate pull stop ..Capt jgw
The next step for me will be to see how the single control operates. I know its a twin cable set up but will it fit in the pedestal or does the mechanism need room to move? A simple research project will give me that answer. If it doesn't fit then the question is void as I don't want to hack into the boat. I have seen a set up where the control is fitted along side the pedestal (outside of it). I was being lazy and hoped someone would have done the conversion and have all the answers for me.
Cheers for all your views.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
+1 Stu's idea of setting the engine to 1000 RPM is good.

+1 also for using just one spring line to dock--it works well.

I do basically the same with my dual control Universal 5411--set throttle to idle forward and use only the transmission lever and F-N-R to control speed. My levers have been moved to the pedestal by a PO.

Once I am within a couple minutes of the slip, it's idle forward. I never thought about it, but at that point it's like single lever control. I will almost always use a burst of power or two while docking--ideally only at the end to stop forward momentum.

A few times I have indeed added power while tranny engaged in the WRONG direction. This is exasperated by the fact that my throttle is backward from the usual--the PO's conversion didn't modify the linkages for it to make sense. Thankfully no ill consequences resulted.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've had both. A vote for single. With twin engines (last boat) it's a no-brainer (4 levers would be a cluster).

I really don't like the idea of shifting with the engine reved at all. Of course, you can still do that if you shift too fast from WOT.