Converting Dual Lever to Single Lever Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2013
Hunter Passage 42 Centre Cockpit Pittwater
I am just about to take delivery of a 1993 Hunter 42 Passage Centre Cockpit. It has dual engine controls at the Edson pedestal. It's a very cack-handed operation. You have to try and steer, put your left hand through the spokes to move the gear control from neutral to forward or reverse and put your right hand over/around/through the wheel to adjust engine revs.What were they thinking? That is so ergonomically ridiculous! Has anyone out there converted their Edson pedestal to the more usual Morse/Teleflex type single lever control? I've had this on previous boats and it works perfectly. You can steer with one hand and do all the gear and throttle changes with the other hand! Edson offer a conversion which involves replacing the vertical guard but that involves disconnecting and re-installing all the instruments!!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I hate my single lever system! hard to shift from forward to reverse/neutral.

There you have it!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter H37C, H23 Annapolis MD
Well you could learn to stand in front of the pedestal and stear the boat. Then you do not have to reach through the wheel. Left hand is gear, right hand is engine revs, its just behind you but very easy to reach. Thats the way I do it and when I back up I just turn around and the boat steers normal. I am free to move about the boat and do not have to climb around the wheel which is nice when you single hand and have to reach the winches or adjust the stay sail/jib sheets or the main sheet. Bonus is you save Boat Bucks for other goodies.

Apr 19, 2013
Hunter Passage 42 Centre Cockpit Pittwater
Mark, I had thought of that, in fact did just that with an earlier yacht but when reversing into a berth we had. I was just hoping someone out there knew a way of using the existing Edson pedestal with some replacement single lever gear. Always found the Morse single lever control faultless. Like all mechanical things, they need servicing to perform faultlessly.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
I am just about to take delivery of a 1993 Hunter 42 Passage Centre Cockpit. It has dual engine controls at the Edson pedestal. It's a very cack-handed operation. You have to try and steer, put your left hand through the spokes to move the gear control from neutral to forward or reverse and put your right hand over/around/through the wheel to adjust engine revs.What were they thinking? That is so ergonomically ridiculous! Has anyone out there converted their Edson pedestal to the more usual Morse/Teleflex type single lever control? I've had this on previous boats and it works perfectly. You can steer with one hand and do all the gear and throttle changes with the other hand! Edson offer a conversion which involves replacing the vertical guard but that involves disconnecting and re-installing all the instruments!!!!
We hated the dual lever system on our boat, so we installed a single lever--so much better. Here is link to pics and comments about it on SBO. http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=966638&highlight=single lever

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Well it is mostly a matter of personal taste. You could also resolve your issues with a smaller diameter destroyer wheel where you could reach over to the controls and it would also make it easier to get around in the cockpit. I happen to find the single lever controls mushy and slow responding and hate having to push a button to throtle the engine in neutral. I cannot think of many places where you could install the control unit and still not interfere with the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.