Convert partial battens to full battens

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was watching a video on Offcenterharbor.com about a Eggemoggin 47 and its rigging. I thought of this thread while listening to one of the designers. It is designed for EZ daysailing but can mix it up with NYYC quality racing boats. The mainsail they were showing is a full batten sail. There was also some discussion of sail plan size which different than the dogma on the subject. Not to mention the spectacular good looks of the boat and the marvelous engineering of sail controls. Well worth the 26:51 minutes! For non-members you get to view 3 videos for free.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
No. I think the video says the classic Herresoff Eggemoggin 47 dimensions were tweaked. By tweaked I think they mean redone. The new boat is wider by about 18” and I believe a bit longer. They re-dimensioned the boat based on engineering criteria to make it a fast boat. Then they tried to maintain the classic look. I think they succeeded. It’s a custom one off boat so they weren’t working off a production model to sell to the public. Evidently the owner knew what he wanted and was willing to pay for it.
I think it’s interesting that the long overhangs, which are not in fashion in recent years, actually are fast for this skinny, long hull. Note that the rear overhang matches the rear wave nearly perfectly. It’s beautiful. That extends the water line or to look at it in a different way the overhang extends the wavelength of the bow to stern trough.
The contrast hull is the wide flat rear hull that can plane. The planing hulls will bury the traditional hull in a drag race, but around the buoys it could be different. That is a subject for discussion.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
No. I think the video says the classic Herresoff Eggemoggin 47 dimensions were tweaked. By tweaked I think they mean redone. The new boat is wider by about 18” and I believe a bit longer. They re-dimensioned the boat based on engineering criteria to make it a fast boat. Then they tried to maintain the classic look. I think they succeeded. It’s a custom one off boat so they weren’t working off a production model to sell to the public. Evidently the owner knew what he wanted and was willing to pay for it.
I think it’s interesting that the long overhangs, which are not in fashion in recent years, actually are fast for this skinny, long hull. Note that the rear overhang matches the rear wave nearly perfectly. It’s beautiful. That extends the water line or to look at it in a different way the overhang extends the wavelength of the bow to stern trough.
The contrast hull is the wide flat rear hull that can plane. The planing hulls will bury the traditional hull in a drag race, but around the buoys it could be different. That is a subject for discussion.
I heard them say the widened the beam to 10 feet plus, but that seems pretty narrow for a 47-footer.
My preview ran out before I saw what the length was.

Nothing shows up on Sailboatdat.com .

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
He doesn’t state the length. It was 18” to the beam and 1’ to the draft.
In the diagram the bows of the two boats align and I would estimate about 9” more length to the stern. I think that’s the deck outline which would of course not be the same as the waterline outline. The backstay is attached well forward of the transom so the boat could have been built a little shorter or longer. I think it was esthetics that determined that.