Considering the Hunter 34

SamRy

May 4, 2017
Oday 322 Grand Bend
I'm considering purchasing a 1984 Hunter 34 and was hoping to get some honest feedback on the boat. As this will be my first boat, I'm looking for something that is stable and easy to sail. I'm planning to sail on the Great Lakes, mostly day-sailing but with a few short overnight trips with friends and family with maybe an annual trip to the North Channel. I have read some issues with the B&R rigging (difficult for a newbie and can get caught up in the sails), small rudder and stability (the Bal/Displ ratio of 42.30% would say otherwise). Let me know your thoughts. Let me also know if there are any structural issues I should watch out for when inspecting a used Hunter 34.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The one bugger is the compression post issue. If the post and beam are good the other things are workable. The cast iron keel requires vigilance; the fixed port lights on later models are about due for replacement. Earlier models had aluminum framed ports that are easier to rebuild. Allan's post in owner mods is a great fix. The smaller rudder was an issue with earlier models and many of those were replaced under warranty.
I like the space and handling . I've owned mine (85 model) since '91 and am pleased with her still. I am on board now, re-bedding original Signent instruments after having them repaired at Signent.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
small rudder
The replacement rudder was lengthened by only 6 inches.

Almost bought a '86 H34, a real beaut of a boat, but by the time we got around to making a decision the model was replaced by the H35 so we got it instead. The H35 came with a lead keel, walk-through transom, and if I recall, cost almost $15K more (1987 closeout vs 1988). This was a time period in boating history when there was real paranoia about blisters so we had ours barrier-coated. As an aside, I was talking to a Seattle new boat dealer a couple weeks ago and he said they barrier coat all their new boats so that was interesting. One would think that the manufacturers would have found a manufacturing solution by now.

How does the H34 sail? I think pretty well. A local person (Fred Ficara sp?, an old member here) sailed his down the coast from Puget sound to Panama, through the canal, to the Caribbean and back. He also beat me in a local race; granted, he had a 150 while I only had a 110, but still, it did good.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Another member/34 owner, Claude Auger, sailed his from Montreal to Bahamas and back. He happened to be in Baton Rouge one day and we had a fine time comparing notes.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The Hunter 34 is the most boat for the money that you will find. It's not perfect but it's not expensive so you will get good value. She is a light air boat, The mast rises 51 ft above the water. Make sure you have a good working traveler. I replaced mine and it has made all of the difference in heavy air. She is a bit tender but it will make you a better sailor to learn how to handle her. She is fast and points well. Good layout below but she is not a long hauler with only 65 gallons of water and 25 gallons of fuel. Weekender. Compression post issue due to poor design/construction. Bad winches (ebay is a beautiful thing). Overall, I really like mine. I have made some improvements to mine that include Lewmar winches (used), traveler, moved the batteries to balance out the boat, autopilot.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I am the original owner of my 1983 H34
One issue with this model seems to be with the compression post.
It seems to be a big expensive under taking if you are not a hands on fix it kind of guy.
For the record I have never experienced this issue with my boat knock wood.

I think that H34 was one of the best boats Hunter ever made,
And yes the boat can be a little tender in heavier winds 20+ but that's why you have to reef.
This boat is easy to sail single handed, lots of cabin room, great for weekend sailing or coastal cruising. The H34 design was In My opinion designed way ahead of it time. I would take the older H34 over any other newer production boat any day of the week.
I have taught sailing for almost 30 years and have sailed on all types boats from 14 foot to 75 foot and all kinds different boat manufacturers. Now there are pros and cons to every boat, but Still to this day the h34 is my favorite. This model offers a lot of boat for a reasonable price.
See the owners reviews